VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Axatax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Geez. That's kinda the point of this silly character (in a serious story). Gabriel and Tim Curry's acting is purposely over-the-top. I'm not sure about reviewing games like this through a modern lens.

https://youtu.be/jDUeqYBN50Y?t=634

Reply 2 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, it were the 90s. When political correctness was low (now it's too high) and even kids shows (cartoons etc) were (still) allowed to combine sexy characters, gore and violence. 😉

Anyway, I'm pretty sure my sister wouldn't find these outdated macho type characters anyhow funny. Not because she has no humour (she has), but because these jokes are too dull, primitive, which comes close to an insult of their intellect (I guess that's a problem for most girls or women.)

If there were two or three of them inside which are actually sophisticated, excellent, sexual or not, she (they) would smile or laugh.

Anyway, we should keep in mind that these point&cluck games were targeted at boys/youngsters, computer geeks/nerds and infantile men. So it's just natural that an Indiana Jones-wannabe character has to act the way he does. 😁

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 7, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe she should try playing the game again and actually pay attention to the story.
Gabriel acts like an ass because that's how his character begins; immature, no ambition and fairly selfish. He ends up going through a typically hero's journey/transformation/redemption deal to reclaim his family's honour... which also reveals why the attraction between him and Malia exists.
Did the youtuber not actually play through the whole game or is she just really dense?

Reply 4 of 7, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jmarsh wrote on 2020-09-25, 10:18:

Maybe she should try playing the game again and actually pay attention to the story.

But that takes work and attention! It's so much easier to get clicks, likes, and views by appealing to lonely neckbeards' white-knight instincts and their desperate need to be acceptable. 😉

Next: Leisure Suit Larry, or Rex Nebular?

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 5 of 7, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In Gabriel Knight's case that accusation is especially ridiculous since the game was written, designed and directed by a woman! If there's something that can be said about Sierra is that women were incredibly relevant, both as part of the development team AND the game characters in a mostly male dominated industry.

Reply 6 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's just ignorance and clicks, blame the popularity of social media to enable the crazies to be heard:
See: https://www.npr.org/2018/12/05/673770902/baby … -radio-stations

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheMobRules wrote on 2020-09-25, 18:00:

In Gabriel Knight's case that accusation is especially ridiculous since the game was written, designed and directed by a woman! If there's something that can be said about Sierra is that women were incredibly relevant, both as part of the development team AND the game characters in a mostly male dominated industry.

I wouldn't call it an accusation, rather an analysis. The video was totally civil, imho.
As for the game being written by a woman itself.. Well, we don't have enough background information perhaps.

Men are also blaming their own kind, or put it into bad light sometimes. For example, gay men used to be looked down at by their own kind (man). Heck, some feminists are men, even.

Could well be possible that these Sierra women had an unusual orientation, as well.
Maybe they were the adult equivalent to tomboys, perhaps.

Or kinky female nerds/geeks that projected their desires into the games. Or maybe these ladies were simply pros that knew how things work best in a men's world. Annyway, these are just some wild guesses. I'm no psychiatrist. 😅

PS: Apologies for my poor English. This one was though for me. Hope things turned out as intended.

Edit:

DosFreak wrote on 2020-09-25, 18:12:

It's just ignorance and clicks, blame the popularity of social media to enable the crazies to be heard:
See: https://www.npr.org/2018/12/05/673770902/baby … -radio-stations

Makes sense, a lot of fuss about essentially nothing.
To be fair, though, some phrases like "it's cold outside" can easily be misunderstood in our over-sexualized days, however.
Especially, if some kind of romance is involved.
If I heard a seductive, deep female voice in the radio saying "come inside".. "it's warm".. "rawwwrr"..
I wouldn't exactly be certain how it's meant and thus would expect the worst. 😟

Remind's me a bit of that 80s song
with the line "let's get physical".
..which wasn't really about sports, as it turned out. 😉

Anyway, I'm from an western Europe country only,
so I'm likely unable to fully recognize the scope.
In genetal, sexual stuff in media isn't such a big thing here, with the exception of r*pe/sexism.
Someone can buy a "men's magazine" in the news paper area, where kids run by (and don't care about it). Same goes for -uhm- certain toys, I think.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//