VOGONS

First post, by HandOfFate

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently got a hold of 2 HP Jornada 680Es. They both work but on one of them some pins on the PC card connector are bent.

I'm trying to get it open in an attempt to straighten the pins. I got the entire edge loose (wasn't easy) but it's like there is one more screw in the middle of the device keeping the cover in place.

The screws that I loosened are the 6 'obvious' ones and two that are holding some plastic thingy under the battery pack.

I think I see something metal under the 'VCI' logo. Is that a screw? It looks different from the other screws though, and I think I can't get a large enough screwdriver through the hole without making the hole bigger first.

The attached photo is of the other, unopened Jornada. The two circles on the top are for the screws that I found under the battery pack.

Attachments

Am486 DX4 120MHz, no L2, 16MB, Tseng ET4000/W32 1MB VLB, ESS ES1869 /// 5x86 133MHz, 256kb L2, 64MB, S3 Virge/DX 4MB PCI, SB16 + Yucatan FX, PicoGUS /// Pentium III 1GHz, 512MB, Asus V7700 64MB AGP, SB Live!

Reply 2 of 3, by HandOfFate

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks! There seems to be a screw hole around the place of the 'VCI' logo but I'm not sure how he got to that screw, and if there was a screw or if it's just a hole.

But I can take look under the keyboard to see if I can see anything and below the plastic cover under the keyboard. Maybe the screw is accessed from the top.

The second and fourth photos are a bit confusing because he turned the device 180 degrees. In the third and fifth photo are in the same orientation as the first 😀

Am486 DX4 120MHz, no L2, 16MB, Tseng ET4000/W32 1MB VLB, ESS ES1869 /// 5x86 133MHz, 256kb L2, 64MB, S3 Virge/DX 4MB PCI, SB16 + Yucatan FX, PicoGUS /// Pentium III 1GHz, 512MB, Asus V7700 64MB AGP, SB Live!

Reply 3 of 3, by HandOfFate

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I found a small strip of copper-looking tape under the keyboard and below it I there seems to be the bottom of a screw. My guess is that it is the other end of the 'VCI logo screw' because it's in the same position of the device.

I will wait a bit longer in the hope someone with experience will reply. Otherwise I will see if I can make the hole at the logo bigger and see if there's indeed a screw.

(I never like to damage things but without the PC card slot the device isn't nearly as interesting. And I still got the other Jornada)