VOGONS

First post, by Synaps3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got an ATX to AT power adapter cable, but there are nubs on the AT plugs that prevent it from plugging in to my XT class mobo. Why is this? I have never seen a post about this so I don't know what to think. Are there different versions of the AT connector and mine is not correct?

Can I just cut the nubs off and plug it in? The wire colors are mostly the same except for one I think.

Systems:
BOARD | RAM | CPU | GPU
ASUS CUV4X-D | 2GB | 2 x PIII Tualatin ~1.5 GHz | Radeon HD 4650
DELL DIMENSION XPS 466V | 64MB | AMD 5x86 133MHz | Number Nine Ticket to Ride
Sergey Kiselev's Micro8088 10MHz | 640KB | Trident VGA

Reply 1 of 7, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What XT Mainboard ?

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 2 of 7, by Synaps3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
matze79 wrote on 2020-10-11, 19:10:

What XT Mainboard ?

Crazily enough, all of them.
A true IBM XT mobo.
A clone mobo.
And a 286 mobo.

They ALL have only one nub on each connector whereas the adapter cable has several on each connector (making it not plug in). I looked on ebay and all the ATX to AT power cables have this so WTF?

Systems:
BOARD | RAM | CPU | GPU

Reply 3 of 7, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You mean the little locking nubs on the adapter's AT side?

Yes, you should be fine to gently shave them off with a knife. I do it all the time personally. Makes connecting and unconnecting power a breeze.

Just make sure when you insert it into the board you use a bit of gentle force to make sure its fully in place.

Reply 4 of 7, by Synaps3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SodaSuccubus wrote on 2020-10-11, 19:21:

You mean the little locking nubs on the adapter's AT side?

Yes, you should be fine to gently shave them off with a knife. I do it all the time personally. Makes connecting and unconnecting power a breeze.

Just make sure when you insert it into the board you use a bit of gentle force to make sure its fully in place.

Thanks. Yeah, that's exactly what I mean, so you can just shave them off? Weird cause it won't plug into any of my mobos the way it is now. Why the hell do they make it like that. Are there newer boards that it does plug into?

It freaked me out cause I thought I got the wrong cable.

Systems:
BOARD | RAM | CPU | GPU

Reply 5 of 7, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It always takes a little fiddling to plug then in. The little nubs are meant to make the connection more secure (ie harder to accidentally pull the cable out), but as most users keep their cases closed, it seems pointless.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 6 of 7, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The adapters work fine on all my 486 boards and the couple 386 boards I hav used them on. Just looked at my Syntac 286 board and it will work fine with the adapters as well.

Basically, the AT plug should be made to be able to use the AT adapters. You do have to angle the adapter plug to get the little nubs in place then angle back down and plug in.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 7, by Synaps3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-10-11, 21:06:

You do have to angle the adapter plug to get the little nubs in place then angle back down and plug in.

Haha. Now that I shaved most of them off I realized that I just needed to angle it in my case.

Systems:
BOARD | RAM | CPU | GPU