VOGONS

Common searches

DOSBox Feature Request Thread

Topic actions

Reply 280 of 284, by TrDy73

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It would have been nice to have a command line option within DosBox to rotate mounted CD's (CTRL-F4), this way you could force a specific active image in the cd drive.

imgmount d "isoimage1.cue" "isoimage2.cue" "isoimage3.cue" -t cdrom
imgmount d /select 1 -> selects isoimage1.cue
imgmount d /select 2 -> selects isoimage2.cue
imgmount d /select 3 -> selects isoimage3.cue
imgmount d /select -> return which image selected 1,2 or 3.....
imgmount d /selected -> return which image name selected

Reply 282 of 284, by dnewhous

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

About the awe32 mode - I just realized that's the sound canvas mode for most games. Using sound canvas soundfonts in General MIDI mode doesn't sound very good.

Daniel L Newhouse

Reply 283 of 284, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AWE32 drivers in games call the AWE directly. It's not synonymous with general midi / soundcanvas midi output (which the AWE could also use).

Often the major difference is some of the DOS games that have explicit AWE support have to do with loading special soundfont files (.sbk) to either use it for specially composed music with them (i..e. Hi-Octane) , or just spatial, filtered "3D!" sound effects (i.e. Eradicator).

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 284 of 284, by dnewhous

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The only manual for an AWE32 I've found online says it uses sf2 soundfonts. I'm wondering if sbk were prototypes that were never released? Anyway, the ambiguity of the color of the Steiner fist at the beginning of Battletech Crescent Hawk's Inception has made me think that DOS was never implemented correctly. So the mission is partially to correct what DOS went wrong. The highest DOS resolution I've found is 640X400 (Menzoberanzan), with most games being 320X240. Games in 640X480 appear to be Windows 3.1 games. I see DOSbox now appears to be displaying the games at 4X original resolution. I wouldn't do that unless I wired it so that the game really appears in higher than orignal resolution. Should be possible.

640X400 extends to 1920X1200, which is the resolution of the display I am using. Games were meant for a 16X10 aspect ratio.

Daniel L Newhouse