VOGONS

First post, by ForsakenDecay

User metadata

When I first ran the game with dosbox, it played fine. I had no problems. But when I returned to the game (After reboot) and loaded into the game, the mouse was giving me problems. The cursor would shoot to the right side of the screen everytime I held it over the item, went to open a door or tried to kill an enemy. It wouldn't stay on the objects - just immediately rush over to the right side of the screen and stick there. I tried a different mouse, tried reloading and rebooting the computer several times, I even manually docked the mouse inside the Dosbox window using the shortcut and I tried changing the settings of the mouse sensitivty. Nothing works. Anyone have any idea whats going on? 😕

Reply 1 of 24, by ForsakenDecay

User metadata

Oh, and just because I just now read the guidelines for submitting a question, here's the stats:

Newest version of Dosbox (6.2, I think.)
Version 1.2 of Stonekeep

Computer:
Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard.
AMD Anthlon XP 2700+ @ 2.2ghz, 400mhz FSB
PC2100 400mhz 512mb RAM
ATI Radeon 9600XT Pro, 128mb
Normal 14" CRT monitor
PS/2 ball mouse (I've tried my optical PS/2 just to see if it would fix the mouse problem. Didn't work.)

Detailed description of the problem: The mouse cursor will not stay on items, enemies, etc. It runs off to the right side of the screen, sticks there for a moment before I'm able to yank it back, before it runs off again. 😒

Reply 3 of 24, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It happened for a while until the latest version of DOSBox came out.
There were some funky issues with it.

You might need to fiddle with the Mouse Sentivity Setting in Stonkeeps Game Options Dialog. Then it will work without sticking, I remember having to do that.

/Ieremiou

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.

Reply 5 of 24, by ebil_day

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Had to create an account to post in here. Anyway, I do have the latest Dosbox version, I was just guessing when I said 6.2 but I just double checked.

And I already said I played with the mouse sensitivity in both the game and XP. Still having the issue.

Reply 6 of 24, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't have the game so I can't test it.

You don't have a joystick/gamepad connected do you?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 8 of 24, by rcuhljr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have this exact same issue, it really hurts to finally be so close to playing stonekeep, then so far away. This game was awesome a decade ago, I can't wait to play again.

*edit one other note, it seems to happen when you mouse over an object on the ground, or anything else that causes the mouse pointer to change from a cross to a hand, action, etc. etc.

Reply 9 of 24, by benkid77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Although I previously posted that I got the game working succesfully, I have since attempted to play it more under DOSBox 0.63.
I have now also experienced the exact same problem with the mouse pointer being pulled towards the right hand side of the screen.
I didn't notice it at first, but now I realise the problem is triggered by specific game actions. (as somebody above has mentioned)
Like the others, I also have no joystick or game controller attached.

Reply 10 of 24, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well The mouse had some small improvements since 0.63

but since I don't have the game I don't have clue wether it fixed your problems.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 11 of 24, by milicognj

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is the solution for the mouse problem

Don't activate mouse inside the game before pointer is showed in the starting menu (New game, Load game) and everything will be allright.

I mean that black mouse pointer that is shown at the start of DOSBox should be visible.

P.S. I use version 0.63 and this works with and witgout win95 argument in command line

Ognjen Milic

Reply 13 of 24, by milicognj

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes it is interesting. I've noticed that sometimes mouse works fine and sometimes not which is not logical and then I tried to find when mouse functions corectly. Of course I tried command line, drivers until i have noticed this.

I hope this will help in debugging for the next version of DOSBox.

Ognjen Milic

Reply 14 of 24, by skotsche

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I wanted to know, if there are some new insights to the problems with the mouse heading for the right side. Because I have tried all suggested solutions, but none had solved the problem for me.

I am using a ubuntu system with dosbox 0.63. And I could not get the cutemouse to find my device. But I tried an old dos MS driver, but it did not help.

skotsche

Reply 19 of 24, by LoneLines

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Qbix wrote:

just don't use the mouse till you get ingame.
then it won't mess up.

Not sure if you meant "Don't use the mouse before trying to run StoneKeep (on a different app or game)" or "Run StoneKeep but don't use the mouse before you actually get to a stage where you need to use it".

Anyway, for me the latter works, but I didn't check the former...

(I usually "reset" dosbox before each game I play anyway...)

LoneLines list of workarounds for various games in DOSBox:
http://ADogsBox.jellofishi.com