VOGONS

First post, by robbo007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys,
I'm trying to get my Bruce Lee booter working on my IBM 5160. The floppy drive starts reading on boot up but then locks the PC up. I have to power off to reset it.

It boots fine on my IBM 5170. Anyone know if the XT is supported or if there are any problems?

Thanks,

Reply 3 of 4, by NewRisingSun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The mere fact that an XT-IDE interface is installed in the computer has in the past been found to prevent some games from working even if they are running off a floppy disk.

Edit:
Another reason why Bruce Lee might fail is that Datasoft copy-protected its disks with a weak bits protection scheme that may fail to detect the disk if the random data in the protected sector is not "random enough" by the game's standards. I am not entirely sure what determines the amount of entropy in a weak-bits-protected sector, but I suspect it is related to the floppy drive electronics and the computer's power supply. I have had this issue with an original disk of "Ghosts'n Goblins", which worked in a Tandy 1000 TX but not a 486 PC with an 1.2 MiB floppy drive, and debugging showed that the keydisk checking routine found the weak bits sector not random enough in the latter system.