VOGONS

First post, by SoDaR2005

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok so i have tried to play both Flashback and Shadow Warrior and both are so slow they are practically unplayable. Now, in Flashback if i turn the Music OFF (by running install.exe) it seems to sort itself out, but its not the same without music. Now i have had Flashback running with both SFX and Music absolutely fantastically BUT now it just seems to be dog slow when i turn Music ON ... why does it do this? I have had the game working perfectly with Music ON then it decided to slow down on me for no apparent reason whatsoever.

One time it worked and now it does not? Can someone tell me how to sort this problem out? And yes, with Music ON it does not go anybetter when i so called "overclock" the program, heck i have had it over 20000+ and it makes no difference whatsoever. Shadow Warrior is the same, whats the point in playing them with no music ... it's not the same.

Any ideas?

DFI Lanparty NF4 UT Ultra-D Motherboard;
AMD Athlon64 3500+ Winchester @ 2.6GHz;
1.0GB Corsair TwinX PC4400 (DDR550);
256MB MSI nVidia GeForce 6800GT PCI-E;
Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2.

Reply 1 of 8, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Frameskipping? You should start by writing down everything you did trying to make it work.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You should hold off on playing Shadow Warrior until Jonof releases the next ver of his port. You can play it with the port now but it's kind of buggy as a first release of anything usually is.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 8, by tcm1998

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had the same problem until I used D-Fend to set the game up. I'm only a dosbox users for a few days and I haven't had time to find all the options, so a frontend like this is very helpfull. I don't know anything about shadow warrior, but flashback is one of my all-time favorites and I just HAD to make it work.

As far as I can see, the problem solved itself when I set opl mode to opl3, however when I changed it back to auto, the game still runs well. Setting either Sample Rate or Opl rate to 44100 causes big speed problems. Here are the settings I have now (which runs the game perfectly, no need to overclock or framskip). I'll skip the ones I think are irrelevant.

Profile Settings: no loadfix
General: Start fullscreen, Use doublebuffer, Render surface, 640x480, normal2x, hardwarescaling 1.00
Enviroment: 16MB, XMS+EMS, cpu 3000, up 500 Down 20, normal cpu core, no frameskip, VGA video card
Communication: No modem
Priority: Normal
Sound:

Sample Rate 22050, Blocksize 2048, Prebuffer 10

SB16, 220,IRQ7,DMA1,HDMA5,opl auto, opl rate 22050, use mixer
GUS: Disabled
MIDI: MPU-401 disabled
Misc: Enable PC Speaker (or it doesn't start), PC Speaker rate 22050, Tandy rate 22050, Disable Disney sound source

Ofcourse, these are all D-Fend settings, I have no idea what the default settings of dosbox are for all these things.

Finally to complete things, my specs:

Windows XP SP 2, P4 2.8 GHz, 1GB Memory, Sb Live Platinum, NVidia FX 5600.

Reply 4 of 8, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote:

You should hold off on playing Shadow Warrior until Jonof releases the next ver of his port. You can play it with the port now but it's kind of buggy as a first release of anything usually is.

If you play without polymost and forget about the mouse movement (its a bit buggy) for now the game is entirely playable at great speeds. 😎

Reply 5 of 8, by timelord46

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello has anyone been able to fix the problem in flashback quest for identity game running too slow. have tried to all sorts of thing even whats suggested but to no avail. i found sometimes it runs normal and ohter times it runs really slow with the sound tried all sorts of configurations. I have the 0.63 version of dos box

Reply 8 of 8, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember having the slow problems in Flashback but then eventually getting it to work fine. I don't remember what fixed it:
- Try a CVS build (see the development forum)
- Try using different DOSBox core settings
- Make sure you're using the right IRQ setting for the sound

It could be that I now have an MT-32 and that I use that for the music instead of Adlib.