VOGONS

First post, by SolidSonicTH

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried installing it in the recent past but when it tried to download some stuff it just failed. Did MS take down the servers that KernelEx relies on to import stuff?

Reply 1 of 4, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

there's a unicows.exe redistributable, just point that to C:\Windows\System and the kernelex installation will be happy. Windows 10 may have caused Microsoft to flush a lot of legacy downloads though

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 4, by SolidSonicTH

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2022-02-04, 01:32:

there's a unicows.exe redistributable, just point that to C:\Windows\System and the kernelex installation will be happy. Windows 10 may have caused Microsoft to flush a lot of legacy downloads though

MattKC managed to install KernelEx on his Windows 98 PC project without needing to do a separate download and that was just in late 2020. That's why I thought I'd give it a go but then for me it just failed.

Reply 3 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Having a 9x compatible gdiplus.dll in the Windows\System32 directory is also recommended, I vaguely remember.
Not sure if the recent KernelEx ships with it, though.

http://kernelex.sourceforge.net/wiki/Help:Contents

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 4, by Masaru

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Pretty easy to install, you just have to use the included installer IIRC. Once it's installed, you need to right click on the executable and enable it with a specific profile.

By using this, I've had success installing GOG games that would normally refuse to install under Win98SE.