VOGONS

Reply 20 of 25, by Rikintosh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, I've been reading around, and I'll bring what I learned to this topic, to help people in the future.

Apparently Intel made the traditional Pentium 4 and the P4M on the same silicon wafer, the chips that were the best and passed all the rigorous tests were the P4M, while the "junk" is the traditional desktop pentium 4. Laptop versions have speedstep which will make the desktop only recognize the lowest speedstep multiplier, for example: A 2.4Ghz pentium 4 with 200mhz fsb (400 DDR) would use the x12 multiplier to achieve this speed, but versions with speedstep, it has several multipliers, and the lowest multiplier, would be like 6x to work at 1.2Ghz, so a desktop motherboard, will immediately recognize it as 1.2Ghz, and to reach the standard speed, you will have to increase the multiplier or FSB in the bios. These processors can work flawlessly requiring very little vcore voltage (that's why they were the premium part of the silicon wafer), but that doesn't stop them from working with higher voltages. Some models could work even without a cooler due to low voltage (and low multiplier), at the same time, they can work at voltages higher than 1.6v, reaching clocks higher than 3.0Ghz.

Lucky for me, I have a 3.2Ghz Pentium 4M here, which made me eager to test it out. I hope my computer's chipset and bios don't frustrate me.

Take a look at my blog: http://rikintosh.blogspot.com
My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfRUbxkBmEihBEkIK32Hilg

Reply 21 of 25, by Error 0x7CF

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As long as it boots, the manual for your motherboard (MS-6760) indicates you'll be able to change the multiplier to where it should be. If the S-Spec of your 3.2GHz P4 Mobile is SL7DU or SL7NB it may be too new to work, since it'll be Prescott. Definitely update your BIOS before you try, either way.

Edit: Website for the Shuttle SS51G (different board, same chipset) has this to say:
*SS51G does not support Intel CPU with Hyper-Threading Technology, but there is no problem running such CPU. 3. Prescott/Celeron D processor are not supported.

Old precedes antique.

Reply 22 of 25, by Rikintosh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found this board very interesting. It looks like it's exclusive to MSI barebones, it's a TV-Out AGP card, which is a kind of extension of the onboard graphics card. There is a small chipset on it written SIS 301DHmv. In the graphics of the card it is also written that it is for Sis 650 only. It doesn't require any drivers, and it doesn't appear in the device manager, it works at the firmware level.

Attachments

Take a look at my blog: http://rikintosh.blogspot.com
My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfRUbxkBmEihBEkIK32Hilg

Reply 23 of 25, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Rikintosh wrote on 2022-05-07, 03:29:

I found this board very interesting. It looks like it's exclusive to MSI barebones, it's a TV-Out AGP card, which is a kind of extension of the onboard graphics card. There is a small chipset on it written SIS 301DHmv. In the graphics of the card it is also written that it is for Sis 650 only. It doesn't require any drivers, and it doesn't appear in the device manager, it works at the firmware level.

For what its worth, there's a very brief user manual

Filename
MS6957v1.0.pdf
File size
1.76 MiB
Downloads
40 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 24 of 25, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Rikintosh wrote on 2022-05-07, 03:29:

I actually remember seeing these yeeeaaaars ago at PC Dumpdag here in The Netherlands. At least one seller had a substantial batch of these and even though they were dirt cheap, just looking at these did only impress me in how meager these looked.
Years later I still remembered these and did wonder what these even where and thanks to you this little mystery of mine has now finally been solved after like 15 years or so 😂

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 25 of 25, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Error 0x7CF wrote on 2022-05-05, 11:48:

As long as it boots, the manual for your motherboard (MS-6760) indicates you'll be able to change the multiplier to where it should be. If the S-Spec of your 3.2GHz P4 Mobile is SL7DU or SL7NB it may be too new to work, since it'll be Prescott. Definitely update your BIOS before you try, either way.

Edit: Website for the Shuttle SS51G (different board, same chipset) has this to say:
*SS51G does not support Intel CPU with Hyper-Threading Technology, but there is no problem running such CPU. 3. Prescott/Celeron D processor are not supported.

This is something of a good thing actually, since this leaves the Northwood which have the best performance to powerusage ratio of these 3 CPUs.

Personally I'd avoid Preshott and at least most s478 Celerons unless I have literally nothing more feasible available.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!