Common searches

PC Game Compatibility List

Topic actions

First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is a spreadsheet of all of the games that I have tested. Each game has been tested by me so that you can be sure that the results are somewhat more accurate than other compatibility results that you may see elsewhere.

3,900 games have been tested (or are in the progress of being tested) under Windows 98SE, NT 4.0, 2000, XP 32/64, 2003 32/64, Vista 32/64, 2008 32/64,7 32/64,2008 R2 64bit, 8 32/64, 2012 64bit and 10 32/64bit.

The games on the list have been tested with all updates applied to whichever OS that I use and the latest patch for the game unless specified otherwise.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/0B9ZuE … of=true&sd=true

Last edited by DosFreak on 2022-03-10, 23:39. Edited 111 times in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 1 of 116, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Changed Windows NT Game Compatibility List to PC Game Compatibility List due to the addition of Linux to the list.

Currently the Linux category is pretty sparse and not that well implemented. For instance there is a Cedega category but I don't currently differentiate between "Cedega with problems" and "Cedega Just works".

Reply 2 of 116, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Updated 6-6-2005

Converted spreadsheet from .XLS to .XML. Uncompressed size now 3.3mb whereas with .xls it was 1.4mb. Compressed with 7-Zip/rar Self extracting: .xls=242kb .XML=134kb

Added some more games and tested the XP category some more.

Reply 3 of 116, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Updated 6-15-2005

Well looks like the .XML wasn't as compatible as I thought. heh. kinda funny considering it's XML. 😀 Anyway's I switched back to .xls so people shouldn't have any problems anymore. What's cool is that when I converted from .XLS to .XML I had formatting issues that I had to resolve, going from .XML to .XLS I can simply do a "Save As" and the spreadsheet is the same as the original...so no extra work for me!

Reply 4 of 116, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Updated 7-9-2005

Removed Notes and Benchmarks spreadsheets...not usefull for end user.
Added 20+ old DOS games.
Updated DosBox spreadsheet
Updated Game Engines category a bit.

Reply 5 of 116, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Haven't updated yet and won't for awhile.

Currently going through old BBS door games, old pre-1995 DOS games, and 16bit Windows 3.1 games.

Also currently working on identifying 16-bit and 32bit games and installers for 64bit OS's.

Finally, adding GB/NES/SNES/N64/PSX and Mame games to the compatibility list.

Reply 6 of 116, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Updated 8-10-2005

Added XP/2003 64bit OS's
Added Vista
Added 16/32bit category
Added more DOS games
Cleaned up Totals boxes at the bottom of list
Added IPX/Modem/Serial to DosBox list.
Added NES/SNES/N64/PSX games to the list.
Worked on Windows 2000 compatibility testing.
Worked on memory extenders for DOS games a little.
Worked on DirectX category a bit.
Tested some Windows 3.1 games in DosBox.

Looking at the list it's amazing how many games work. whoah.

Reply 7 of 116, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Updated 9-22-2005

Another month another update.

The # of non-functional games seems to be getting smaller and smaller. Currently it's in the 70's for 2000/XP/2003. Roughtly 26 of these games are DOS games so once these games are fixed via DosBox (much more likely than getting the Windows games working easily) then the total # of nonfunctional games will be in the 50's. Pretty impressive for 2000 games. Of course I'm not mentioning the games with problems but that's another story.......

Reply 8 of 116, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Updated 10-21-2005

Decided to use a .zip instead of self-extracting .exe for this release due to user request. Dunno how long I'll keep it like that tho....

Added BartPE and Vista 64bit to the list.
Started testing games under BartPE
Updated IPX/Modem/Serial DosBox list
Updated Real/Protected mode DosBox list.
Updated tons of other categories.
Added a few old DOS/Windows games.
Converted a few more games that used to only worked on VPC to Vmware 5. (Unfortunately Vmware 5 still isn't as compatible as VPC so VPC still has to be used for some games)

Can't really think of everything else I've updated.

The list currently has alot of Infocom games listed but they are currently sorted by what OS they were originally designed for....which is stupid since Infocom games weren't really designed for any OS, the interpreter was designed for the OS and just the Data files were used. So hopefully by the next release I'll have the Infocom games sorted by Serial/Revision #.

Reply 9 of 116, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Updated 11-14-2005

Never got around to those Infocom games....

but:

Updated Windows 2000 compatibility results

Changed "Linux" to "Suse Linux" (No sense using one Linux category since there may be differences in Cedega compatibility among releases). Besides if it works in Suse then most likely it will work in comparable Linux Distros....and no I'm not going to text every Distro under the sun. The reason I picked Suse is because it's the most direct "competitior" to Windows for the Desktop....and the reason I chose 9.3 and not 10.0 is because I have the DVD and it's been out for awhile.

Also tested a few more games under Suse.

Didn't get a chance to work on BartPE results, although I have done alot of BartPE work in the last couple of days working on plugins and such. Mabye sometime next year after 2003 testing is finished.....

Did some game testing with Vmware 5...heh..one game wouldn't work under NT4/2000/XP/2003 AT ALL using any compatibility/dx tricks...but it would work under Cedega. So I got the bright idea of running the game in Vmware 5 under Suse 9.3 under Cedega....and it works! Good thing it's an ancient 2D game......

Didn't do much DosBox testing...got Metropolis working since it was fixed in the latest CVS.

Windows 2000 users will be the most pleased with this latest update since it's list is currently the most updated.

Out of 2,042 games...
43 games do not work
985 games just work

Pretty amazing. When I get around to testing XP again the numbers will be about the same.
2003 is a little odd...some games don't work, probably security settings or missing codecs but on the whole it's just as compatible as 2000/XP but I expect it'll have mabye less than a dozen or so games over 2000/XP that will be games with problems.

Reply 10 of 116, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Updated 12-4-2005

Updated all games in Dosbox list with Network options. (IPX/Modem/Serial)
Added some more booter games to DosBox list
Replaced games that only work with VPC with Vmware/Qemu (Only place left that VPC is used is on NT4, because I haven't had time to go back to NT4 to test).
Updated XP category to be in sync with 2000.

Also changed to download to a .rar instead of a .zip. Download was starting to get bigger than I liked.....and if you don't know the diff between rar and .zip or if you don't have an uncompression utility that handles .rar then you probably shouldn't be reading my list anyway. 😀

Reply 12 of 116, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've had linux users complain......seems that most GUI compression programs in alot of linux distro's don't have full 7z support. (Although this has changed alot in the past 1-2 years). So they'd have to download 7zip command line/update their compression program/find compression program that works.

Rar has been out almost as long as zip and I believe it's standard in most distros. (At least the command line part).

Reply 13 of 116, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah RAR is pretty widespread, except that there are multiple versions and some of the newer ones are not as widely supported. I'm sure you'll be able to tell if it's working out by the number of complaints though 😉

Reply 14 of 116, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Updated 1-15-2005

Added Windows 98SE category
Started moving DosBox worsheet to main game worksheet (Was a pain maintaining duplicate info in 2 worksheets...don't know why I didn't do this sooner....)
Tons of other stuff I can't remember.

Reply 15 of 116, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Updated 2-15-2006

Moved more items from DosBox worksheet to main worksheet
Updated NT4 list
Updated 2003 list
Updated Linux list
Updated bink/smacker/miles list

Reply 16 of 116, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Updated 2-25-2006

This is going to be the last update for quite awhile since I'll be busy for the forseeable future.

Changes:

Finally have everything on one worksheet.
Added to other categories some more. (Game Engine, Bink, Miles,Smacker)

Identified some more 16bit Installers\Games for 64bit Windows versions. Right now I've listed them as "Not-Working". Some are simply 32bit programs wrapped with a 16bit installer. Unpacking with a decompression tool should allow the game to work. Most are 16bit games/16bit installers which will require an emulator. I'll need to go through these and identify which work well on Qemu and then which ones are too resource intensive and require Vmware.

Worked on BartPE some more, added alot more demos.
I'd like to add Installshield/MSI unpack support to my BartPE but it looks like alot of games extract to the TEMP directory so I'd also have to include instructions to redirect TEMP to a bigger area for unpacking (Alot of recent games are 400-500+MB which is probably too much for most people's ramdrives. Also I'll need to research the plugin since the MSI plugins have tried have never worked for me.....and I really don't feel like working on such a plugin at this time. So for the future I'm going to continue installing the demos in Windows and trying the games. (As you can see this works for most of the games with very few requiring registry or .dll's in the Windows directory).

Worked on game engine some more.

I've been unpacking alot of my demos and have been comparing their data files and publishers/developers so hopefully I can flesh this category out some more.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with Linux. Wine/Cedega are still to much trouble to bother with so I'll probably still focus on Vmware. So expect to see ALOT more vmware entries compared to Cedega entries. Then eventually in the future I'll progress away from Vmware to Wine/Cedega. If you don't like it too bad. It's my list. 😀

Reply 17 of 116, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Updated 5-3-2006

Tested more games in NT4
Tested more games in 2003
Added Elder Scrolls Oblivion to list
Added several DOS games to the list
Worked on 16bit compatibility under 64bit OS's.
Updated DosBox compatibility list.

Reply 18 of 116, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Updated 6-2-2006

Worked on Bink-Smacker-Miles list
Added some more DOS games to the list.
Updated Dosbox list.
Added some arcade games and tested them with Mame.
Worked on identifying some more Windows 16bit games and installers.

Future Plans

Rest of this year will be spent finishing testing on 2003 32bit.
Starting at the end of the year really begin full testing of XP/2003 64bit.
About a year after Vista's release I'll start full testing of Vista (although I'll probably test a game or two if I feel like it).

Vista is going to be a PITA with compatibility testing as compared to previous versions and I really don't feel like playing the SafeDisc/Securom/etc juggle nor dealing with all of the other Vista changes when I have two perfectly good (for Windows) operating systems (XP/2003 64bit) sitting here pretty much untested.

Sorry to disappoint with how long it's going to take me to test out Vista but my free time gets less and less and wasting my time figuring out compatibility tricks for games Microsoft doesn't care (because they won't write/update emulators for home users) about really ticks me off. As you'll notice on my list about 50% of my games are using emulation. Expect this to increase with Vista and the following Microsoft OS's. It's about time too.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2006-07-03, 16:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 19 of 116, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Updated 7-3-2006

Added alot of new DOS games
Added a couple of Windows games
Added ZSNES/SNES games to the DosBox list. (Going to test out Mame/NES games later).

Was playing around with Beta 2 of Vista last night. Any DOS games that need full-screen will BSOD Vista....every time. Woohoo! Looks like alot of Vista users will be using DosBox more and more! 😀