VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Free Radical's science-fiction first person shooter with a dash of humour, Timesplitters 2, is a superb game, one of the highest rated games of the PS2/original XBox/Gamecube generation. And now you can play it on the PC!

Well, it's been available since 2016, as a bonus on the game disc of (the monumentally inferior) Homefront: The Revolution, but only two levels of Timesplitters 2 were known to be available then. And a while back, it was revealed by one of the programmers, that the full game is included on t he disc, and he supplied the necessary codes to unlock the full game.

Unfortunately, this version of TS2 (which is 4K!) had some bugs, as it was a test version of a potential high definition port (which never appeared, sadly). But some fans have bug-fixed this version, so the entire game is now fully playable.

TimeSplitters-2-screenshot-11.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aazmzaUw2xM

The project's homepage is at:

https://github.com/HFTSRedux/TS2Redux

You need the game data from Homefront: The Revolution, of course, it's all in the intstructions.

Last edited by Kerr Avon on 2022-06-15, 19:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 10, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for the heads up on this. Had no idea. Also, found out last night about the Quake GBA prototype. Glad to see this stuff getting saved.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2022/06/unr … ance-discovered

Reply 2 of 10, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
liqmat wrote on 2022-06-13, 00:12:

Thanks for the heads up on this. Had no idea. Also, found out last night about the Quake GBA prototype. Glad to see this stuff getting saved.

Wow! Quake on the GBA must have been a brilliant piece of programming.

One of the baffling mysteries of video gaming is why Quake was never released on the Playstation. Quake was a massively popular game, and was ported to both of the Playstation's main rivals (the N64 and the Sega Saturn), so you would expect the Playstation to get a port. And in fact the obviously very talented programmer who ported Quake (and Duke Nukem, and Powerslave/Exhumed) to the Sega Saturn did apparently produce a beta of Quake for the Playstation, and apparently it ran very well. But reputedly the powers that be decided not to release the game on the console, because they feared it wouldn't sell well.

A very strange decision - one of the most popular games of the time, on one of the most popular consoles, how could it fail to sell?

Reply 3 of 10, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
liqmat wrote on 2022-06-13, 00:12:

Mvg covered it on his channel today. If we had more developers like this game's...

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 4 of 10, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The N64 port is the only port that could even get to honor the term "port". The other consoles lacked in the FPU and depth precision required to make quake's technological hallmarks, they'd have to be wobbly rewrites with extremely butchered levels. It's kind of a wonder that the Saturn version was bothered to be made at all. Executive meddling rules over Carmack for the sake of the scant Saturn library, i'm assuming.

that gba 'port' prototype is not a cancelled release as being widely reported either.

Last edited by leileilol on 2022-06-13, 19:06. Edited 2 times in total.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 10, by morphinejh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kerr Avon wrote on 2022-06-12, 20:48:
Free Radical's science-fiction first person shooter with a dash of humour, Timesplitters 2, is a superb game, one of the highest […]
Show full quote

Free Radical's science-fiction first person shooter with a dash of humour, Timesplitters 2, is a superb game, one of the highest rated games of the PS2/original XBox/Gamecube generation. And now you can play it on the PC!

Well, it's been available since 2016, as a bonus on the game disc of (the monumentally inferior) Homefront: The Revolution, but only two levels of Timesplitters 2 were known to be available then. And a while back, it was revealed by one of the programmers, that the full game is included on t he disc, and he supplied the necessary codes to unlock the full game.

Unfortunately, this version of TS2 (which is 4K!) had some bugs, as it was a test version of a potential high definition port (which never appeared, sadly). But some fans have bug-fixed this version, so the entire game is now fully playable.

TimeSplitters-2-screenshot-11.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aazmzaUw2xM

The project's homepage is at:

https://github.com/HFTSRedux/TS2Redux]h ... x/TS2Redux

You need the game data from Homefront: The Revolution, of course, it's all in the intstructions.

I think the link has an extra bracket in there. But I found it!

https://github.com/HFTSRedux/TS2Redux

Reply 6 of 10, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote on 2022-06-13, 19:02:

that gba 'port' is not a cancelled release as being widely reported either.

Which is surprising as it is clearly explained @ FOI by Randy that it doesn't even have ID's assets (although there is a supposed version of that as well, just not "found" yet).

Reply 7 of 10, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the quake port is basically a recreation of the game, not original code, it used to be very common when platforms were so different/limited
like the SNES Doom was a recreation based on Doom but not on PC doom code;
I think the Jaguar Doom was actually a port which was based on some of the original code afaik, it was also done by id.

Reply 8 of 10, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote on 2022-06-13, 19:02:

The N64 port is the only port that could even get to honor the term "port". The other consoles lacked in the FPU and depth precision required to make quake's technological hallmarks, they'd have to be wobbly rewrites with extremely butchered levels. It's kind of a wonder that the Saturn version was bothered to be made at all. Executive meddling rules over Carmack for the sake of the scant Saturn library, i'm assuming.

that gba 'port' prototype is not a cancelled release as being widely reported either.

The N64 version of Quake is OK, but not great. It did look better (ish...) at times than the PC version (I mean of course the original DOS PC version, running at a low resolution on a typical Pentium PC), with the N64 version's coloured lighting, and I *think* there were some slight changes to some levels that might have improved the look of the game (but I can't recall even one, so I might well be conflating it with a different game, I'm not a Quake fanatic and I haven't played Quake 64 in a very long time). It did lack the PC version's opening select-your-skill-level-and-which-episode-you-want-to-play-through-section, for some strange reason, so you have to choose the skill level via a menu when starting the game, and you could only start at the game's first level (though that gave you the advantage that you carried your weapons through the levels even when playing the levels that would have been the first levels of the other episodes).

I'm pretty sure it was missing a few of the PC version's levels too.

You also couldn't save mid-level in Quake 64, in common with console games first person shooters of the time, so we didn't mind that change so much (we N64 fans were used to it), but to someone coming from the PC to the N64, I'd imagine many of them would hate that limitation.

But I think the worst change was that the multiplayer was so cut-down. It was two player only, I think it only had six levels, and the splitscreen (again, it was a console game) didn't use all of either half of the screen, presumably to get the game to run fast enough. Even though other N64 first person shooters managed to take up the entire screen with either two or even four player views, and still run at full speed. No online, no LAN, and no fan-made mods and maps, and of course those were three of the things that made the PC version so massively popular.

I assume the N64 port was either slightly rushed, or the publishers didn't insist on maximum quality. It was OK to play, especially if you didn't have access to a gaming PC, but other than splitscreen (which was playable but not great) there was no reason for a PC gamer to want to play Quake 64.

An interesting fact about Quake 64 is that it's the only game that offers the option to turn off the hardware anti-aliasing. As a result, hackers were able to find out how to turn the AA off for any N64 game or program, so now (using a flash cartridge with your N64) you can play most games with 'jaggies' (jagged diagonal areas of pixels) instead of the smoother but slightly blurry luck you usually get with the N64.

Last edited by Kerr Avon on 2022-06-16, 13:33. Edited 1 time in total.