VOGONS

Socket 7 build, which direction should I go?

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 73, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-08-19, 14:12:
Jasin Natael wrote on 2022-08-19, 14:08:
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-08-19, 14:07:

Just bought a Rise MP6 266 today, seller from Taiwan still has 10 or so.

That is cool.
Do you mind telling me what market you bought it from? eBay or another source?

Yup ebay, won’t say they are cheap so it’s up to you if you want to take a gamble.

I like a gamble and the pay off if it’s legitimate is a rather unique CPU, thankfully I can get my money back if it’s a dud.

Thanks! I will check them out.

Reply 41 of 73, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I received the Cyrix chip today. Unfortunately they sent me the 2.9v version and not the 2.0v version. I sent the seller a message, hopefully they still have a 2.0v chip and they can send me the correct one.

Reply 42 of 73, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah there is a mislabeled one on ebay right now. The ad says 2.2 but the pic says 2.9v.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 43 of 73, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-08-24, 23:01:

Yeah there is a mislabeled one on ebay right now. The ad says 2.2 but the pic says 2.9v.

Probably the same seller. They sell as "gold recovery" so I guess they don't care too much about authenticity.
Kind of annoying.
I am sure that I could open a case and get a refund.
But I'd rather have the correct product that I bought and paid for.....

Reply 45 of 73, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jasin Natael wrote on 2022-08-25, 00:25:
Probably the same seller. They sell as "gold recovery" so I guess they don't care too much about authenticity. Kind of annoying […]
Show full quote

Probably the same seller. They sell as "gold recovery" so I guess they don't care too much about authenticity.
Kind of annoying.

If any doubts look at the back. If small black square then that is correct 2.2v

If large black rectangle then that is 2.9v

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 46 of 73, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2022-08-25, 00:28:

That’s a Windows 98 motherboard.
You can Start there.

What programs and games do you want to run ?

It's just a project box. A king of gathering of parts that I had left from building other systems.
I already have a Cyrix 5x86 120 in my 486 machine, I also have a k6-3+ at 600mhz in my main retro machine.
I have a PIII and a Athlon XP build as well. Plus several retro laptops.
I've just never really messed with a Cyrix MII so I figured I would nab one.

Reply 47 of 73, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-08-25, 01:04:
Probably the same seller. They sell as "gold recovery" so I guess they don't care too much about authenticity. Kind of annoying […]
Show full quote

Kind of annoying.

Yeah that is what I am going to keep and eye out for.
I'll probably just keep this chip and order another. I only gave 12$ for it. Never hurts to have spares.

Reply 48 of 73, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-08-25, 01:04:
Show full quote

Kind of annoying.

So the same seller has a MII-266GP with a 2.0v rating, I can name for the same price.
I think that it is likely the same one that I THOUGHT I was getting the first time around, but whatever.
It has the small package on the back of the chip and it is labeled. "2.0volt"

Now I had the seller physically check to confirm this one isn't a 2.9volt chip.
But I am curious, are the 2.0 volt chips the same core as the higher clocked 2.2 volt chips?
They just undervolted them and sold them as a lower clocked version?
Less power draw kind of thing, maybe for mobile solutions or something?

Reply 49 of 73, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, I have one of those it has a small black square.

Being only 266gp it doesn’t need as much voltage. But you should still be able to feed it 2.2-2.4v

That’s a good chip to get. Lower binned but probably still good for 300 plus mhz

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 50 of 73, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-08-26, 21:56:

Yeah, I have one of those it has a small black square.

Being only 266gp it doesn’t need as much voltage. But you should still be able to feed it 2.2-2.4v

That’s a good chip to get. Lower binned but probably still good for 300 plus mhz

Thanks, that was what I figured.
I would of course rather have a higher rated one, but I'm also being cheap. If I hadn't already bought the other one it wouldn't be as big of a deal.

Reply 51 of 73, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Won’t know how far it’ll go till you try but it’s a good buy for a overclocking cyrix build.

Btw,
Did I show you this?
https://youtu.be/jx-KE-xlNS0

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 52 of 73, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-08-26, 23:18:
Won’t know how far it’ll go till you try but it’s a good buy for a overclocking cyrix build. […]
Show full quote

Won’t know how far it’ll go till you try but it’s a good buy for a overclocking cyrix build.

Btw,
Did I show you this?
https://youtu.be/jx-KE-xlNS0

That is part of the fun, a bit of a gamble.
I don't think you did but that is impressive.

Reply 53 of 73, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A funny thing, and I had to test this before I believed it, is the 2.9v cores are actually faster per clock.

But the 2.2/2.0v cores clock so much higher that it overcomes it and ends up faster through sheer clock.

Cyrix/ST/IBM Aiming for the stars!

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 54 of 73, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-08-27, 02:25:

A funny thing, and I had to test this before I believed it, is the 2.9v cores are actually faster per clock.

But the 2.2/2.0v cores clock so much higher that it overcomes it and ends up faster through sheer clock.

Cyrix/ST/IBM Aiming for the stars!

Yeah I read through that thread and I got to that part and I was like..."what?"
But it looks like the benchmarks numbers prove the case. Still strange.

I threw together the VIA MVP3 board over the weekend with my spare K6-2+.
I could hit 600mhz but it required 2.2volts and got a bit warmer than I like, so I went back to 2.0v and was able to hit 550mhz and basically no heat.
I'd forgotten the headache of AGP on these boards.....

Prepping the PC Chips board for the Cyrix for when it gets here.

Reply 55 of 73, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Be sure you have the latest bios. (Check for a jan bios http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm) It seems weird but I’ve had bios updates make chips clock higher before on some mobos. Prob not the case in this instance though. But you want full 2+ support.

What model? Gonna mod it to 3+?

Bad mobo caps could also be the reason for poor oc performance. Most + chips will do 600mhz stable at 2.0-2.1v

I mean, all in all you aren’t too far off. But still things to ponder.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 56 of 73, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-08-29, 13:21:
Be sure you have the latest bios. (Check for a jan bios http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm) It seems weird but […]
Show full quote

Be sure you have the latest bios. (Check for a jan bios http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm) It seems weird but I’ve had bios updates make chips clock higher before on some mobos. Prob not the case in this instance though. But you want full 2+ support.

What model? Gonna mod it to 3+?

Bad mobo caps could also be the reason for poor oc performance. Most + chips will do 600mhz stable at 2.0-2.1v

I mean, all in all you aren’t too far off. But still things to ponder.

Yeah latest bios on both boards. I used Jan's patched bios on both.

It will do 600mhz stable at 2.2.
I don't think it has bad caps, board is NOS and looks brand new. But you never know.

I don't plan on modding it. I've got a K6-3+ running at 600mhz on my other SS7 system, mostly this one was about having a Baby AT as well at the ATX case.
I had all the parts so I figured why not? Plus might be fun to mess around with cards other than a Voodoo 3.
It would probably do 600 mhz with enough encouragement though. It is a pull from a dead Compaq laptop, 533 with a 95mhz FSB. Not sure of the stepping.

Not sure on the Cyrix build what graphics card I am going to use. I have a limited amount of PCI cards.
I don't want to use my V3 PCI as I've got plans for it.
That leaves mostly ATi stuff.
I've got a Rage XL, one of the original ones not the cheapies that they sell now.
Also have a a Diamond 9250SE that is 128bit, but that seems overkill.
Also have a few 2d only cards from Trident. Not sure what else, I'll have to look and see.

Reply 57 of 73, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

9250se gets my vote. Those aren’t too far behind the performance of a 7500 on such systems

In the video where I was playing halo on a cyrix mII I was using a 9800 pro

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 58 of 73, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-08-29, 16:19:

9250se gets my vote. Those aren’t too far behind the performance of a 7500 on such systems

In the video where I was playing halo on a cyrix mII I was using a 9800 pro

Probably what I will end up with. I don't really have any other system for it, and if I really wanted to have it on another system I have an AGP version as well. Also 128bit.

Funny you should mention the Radeon 7500, I was planning on using it in the MVP3 build, bit for the life of me I can't get AGP acceleration to work with any of my ATi cards. Annoying.

Reply 59 of 73, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got the 2.0 volt chip in today. Haven't had the chance to test it yet. But no bent pins, it dropped right in the socket.
Will update when I get the chance.