VOGONS

Would it be worth it?

Topic actions

First post, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So this is a philosophical question. I have this rare card that I want to try to fix. Its a Elsa Gloria II pro AGP Pro 50 card. Basically a geforce 256 DDR 64 MB card for AGP pro slot that happens to be a quadro.

I also have got a ATI R6 7200 with 64mb of the same exact DDR and that card works. Actually the DDR is the same but its 1 NS faster. ITS -5 and the quadro is -6

So would you destroy the 1st ATI radeon card to repair the 1st Nvida GPU with DDR?

Reply 1 of 7, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is that really the only option?

Are you sure that the memory chips on the geforce 256 are bad? Could you harvest parts from a much less rare card (like maybe a geforce 2 mx) instead?

Reply 2 of 7, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Personally I wouldn't. You're destroying the first Radeon card ever released, to save a Quadro.
If you can find the 6ns chips 9n the future, it's not destroying of course, it's a kind of lending. 😉

And if you're going to sell it, you're obligated to mention it's repaired.

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 3 of 7, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I could harvest ram from anything with hy5dv651622 tc-g6 and I assume hy5dv651622 tc-G55. There are 4 chips on the front and 4 on the back. Squeze testing reveals nothing. The artifacts look memory related in my opinion. As I see lines or stripes in the output the card does display however.

Its not just any quadro. Even though saying its a quadro sounds bad. Its this card picture I borrowed from VGA Legacy MKIII Becasue its a AGP pro card its 100 times more rare than a normal one. If I wanted another its impossible however if I wanted another radeon 7200 its pretty easy.

To put into perspective I could harvest two Matrox G450s That would probably cost me 50-60 Dollars after shipping. Or I could harvest a 7200 that would cost me about the same going by current ebay prices.

Reply 4 of 7, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's a great card indeed. I would only sacrifice a Radeon as last resort.
From my experience, Radeons are not that rare. They just tend to be less accurately described in online ads. So hard to find. I have 2 or 3 of them and never paid more than 15/20€ for it.

Have you tried to buy the chips directly ?

https://www.utsource.net/itm/p/4497096.html

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 5 of 7, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No way.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 6 of 7, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd see about those G450s - common as muck.

Reply 7 of 7, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

g450s it is then.