VOGONS

First post, by anunnak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone!

I have been shadowing this forum for some time now and this is my first post here, sooo hello!

Would like to ask a question regarding the Hercules Terminator 128/3d , an S3 Trio3D card with 8 mb SDR ( i have bought 2 revisions of the card). My card that i recently bought from Ebay only sees 4 out 8 mb. I can't see any missing SMD or damage to the card and in post screen it shows 8 but in Windows only 4.

I have tested it in Win 98 SE and XP. Used the original driver for 98. Motherboard Tekram Slot 1 with BX chipset and a socket 370 with 815 and universal AGP.

I just cannot understand what is wrong. I have half of dozne S3 Trio3D with 8 mb Vram and none exibit this wierd behaviour.

Help!? šŸ˜€

Reply 1 of 14, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

Welcome to the forum šŸ˜€

Please provide photos of such card. Maybe you just happen to have 4Mb variant? Have you checked datasheet of Ram chips?

Reply 2 of 14, by anunnak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi! here are some pics from one of the cards.

Reply 3 of 14, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If I'm not mistaken the card has 4 x 2MB chips so yes, it looks like it has 8MB

Reply 4 of 14, by technokater

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The SEC KM416S1020CT-G10 is a 512K x16 Bit x 2 Bank SDRAM chip rated at 100 MHz. Each chip is 2 MB, 4 chips means 8 MB in total. If it isn't a hardware defect (which would be weird because usually you have artifacts or the card doesn't work at all), I suspect a software issue. Did you check if there is an option in the BIOS to limit video or PCI frame buffer memory?

Reply 5 of 14, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is usually a hardware limitation. I do have a S3 Trio3D/2X card with 8 MB but it only uses the first 4 MB for the framebuffer and the rest gets reserved for GDI and 3D stuff. This can be observed with the PowerStrip utility.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 6 of 14, by anunnak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi! I have attached the photos from my Tekram Slot 1 BIOS. Can someone figure out which option might affect the card?

Reply 7 of 14, by technokater

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Since you are using Windows, I would disable the following options:

• System BIOS Cacheable
  • Video BIOS Cacheable
  • Video RAM Cacheable
  • Video BIOS Shadow

I don't think this is directly related but those settings are leftovers from ancient days and might cause trouble.

You do seem to have a slight overclock of the external bus active though. Ext. Clock Frequency is set to 68.5 / 103 MHz, non-OC would be 66 / 100 MHz I guess. I'm not 100 % if that's AGP or FSB setting but it does look odd. I would give it a try and lower it, because the PCI and AGP frequency are likely derived from this setting.

Reply 8 of 14, by anunnak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi! I have disabled those features, no change. I am at a loss. I just cannot figure out what's wrong. Cannot find any infor online either. šŸ™

Reply 9 of 14, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok let me ask what I had in mind since the beginning:

anunnak wrote on 2023-11-07, 19:42:

My card that i recently bought from Ebay only sees 4 out 8 mb.

From where are you getting the information that the card only sees 4MB?

Reply 11 of 14, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What does DXdiag show for the video memory in the diagnostic page?

Reply 13 of 14, by anunnak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry to bump this thread again but does anyone have any ideas? I don't know what else I can do... šŸ™

Reply 14 of 14, by technokater

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I couldn't find anything online about this. Since it shows up in VGA BIOS on startup, I wouldn't expect a wrong BIOS flash for example. It could still be a driver issue, that either a certain amount of memory is reserved for something else or it is the wrong driver.