VOGONS

Epic from DID

Topic actions

First post, by Captain_Kal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I am trying to play EPIC from DID, there is a message "needs a VGA display, sorry), and hungs up. I have already used "machine=vga", at dosbox configuration. Any Suggestions?

Reply 1 of 11, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

No suggestions... Various games use various ways to detect VGA and it seems that this game uses something unsupported in DOSBOX...
Probably a trivial thing to fix in DOSBOX, but it needs to checked in debugger what the game really wants... (or maybe there will be some useful logs when running in debugger enabled version).

Mirek

Reply 2 of 11, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

try cvs.
Fixed some vga detection schemes since 0.63

See the development forum for details.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 11, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you talking about this game? http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/epic

Does the same thing to me in the latest CVS. Might be worth trying with some of the experimental SVGA patches.

Reply 5 of 11, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Version from HOTU starts for me under Ykhwong's CVS build (2005-Aug-26th) but it abruptly closes after showing what seems an intro screen.

UPDATE: I also get some nasty black dots artifacts using any core other than dynamic. The game seems to shut down no matter what settings I use.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 6 of 11, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

strange... the game was playable for me in my build.

--- src/ints/int10_modes.cpp	29 Sep 2004 19:09:44 -0000	1.35
+++ src/ints/int10_modes.cpp 15 Oct 2004 21:24:17 -0000
@@ -173,7 +173,7 @@
}
}
/* Setup the BIOS */
- if (CurMode->mode<128) real_writeb(BIOSMEM_SEG,BIOSMEM_CURRENT_MODE,CurMode->mode);
+ if (CurMode->mode<128) real_writeb(BIOSMEM_SEG,BIOSMEM_CURRENT_MODE,(clearmem?0x00:0x80)|CurMode->mode);
else real_writeb(BIOSMEM_SEG,BIOSMEM_CURRENT_MODE,CurMode->mode-0x98); //Looks like the s3 bios
real_writew(BIOSMEM_SEG,BIOSMEM_NB_COLS,CurMode->twidth);
real_writew(BIOSMEM_SEG,BIOSMEM_PAGE_SIZE,CurMode->plength);

This patch will fix the game regardless of the existence of svga patch.
(Keybufsize*2 patch here has that code, too)

Reply 7 of 11, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

yeah still thinking about that patch.
currentmode isn't used a lot, but it's used at 2 or 3 locations and I don't know what a real bios reports on those. (especially that vesa table information function)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 8 of 11, by Captain_Kal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

>>>>Are you talking about this game? http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/epic

Yes that's the one. There is also an Amiga version , but the PC version is better. ( I bought the Amiga version, when it came out back in the 90's. And I finished it in a couple of hours. But I like this game). There is also a sequel to Epic called Inferno ( http://www.mobygames.com/game/inferno ) and it plays beautifully with DosBox 0.63.

>>>>Version from HOTU starts for me under Ykhwong's CVS build (2005-Aug-26th) but it abruptly closes after showing what seems an intro screen.

You know it could be that the version from HOTU, has problems, not the game itself. I was trying to make the HOTU version of Gametek's NOMAD to work with DosBox (and Virtual PC 2004), with no luck at all. I was able to play it on a real Dos machine, with an ISA SB16 soundcard. But I had no success with any kind of emulation. Until I found a Gametek compilation CD with NOMAD in it (3 in 1 Games), and I was able to play it, with sound, with DosBox 0.63 (the normal one, no CVS build) 😁

Reply 9 of 11, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Captain_Kal wrote:

You know it could be that the version from HOTU, has problems, not the game itself. I was trying to make the HOTU version of Gametek's NOMAD to work with DosBox (and Virtual PC 2004), with no luck at all. I was able to play it on a real Dos machine, with an ISA SB16 soundcard. But I had no success with any kind of emulation. Until I found a Gametek compilation CD with NOMAD in it (3 in 1 Games), and I was able to play it, with sound, with DosBox 0.63 (the normal one, no CVS build) 😁

I really doubt that this is the case because the same game just quits DOSBox complaining there is no a mcga/vga adapter detected. That's why I tested it under a CVS version (Ykhwong's one in this case).

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 10 of 11, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm pretty sure I got the HotU version of Nomad working before, but maybe it was under NTVDM and not DOSBox. It's also possible that I had problems with the HotU version and got it from somewhere else instead.

Reply 11 of 11, by Captain_Kal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I managed to play EPIC with VDMSound but it's to fast. 😠

>I'm pretty sure I got the HotU version of Nomad working before, but maybe it was under NTVDM and not DOSBox. It's also possible that I had problems with the HotU version and got it from somewhere else instead.

The HOTU version could only run , on a real Dos machine and an ISA soundcard. If I used an PCI soundcard, then it could not detect SB emulation and I was forced to play with no sound. And I really liked the alien voices. 😀