Topic actions

Reply 220 of 261, by bifo86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chuky wrote on 2023-04-11, 23:13:
Bruninho wrote on 2023-04-08, 14:07:
chuky wrote on 2022-06-07, 23:20:

Tomb Raider 1 came out a few years later with the first trilogy. It can run in widescreen in 32 bits in 1920*1080 and it can skip videos.
Here in Qemu for me it's only playable in software mode in 640*480, but this is what the Rave emulation looks like at the moment.

QEMU? Rave? You mean Rage emulation? what? Since when it was available?!

I don't know much about all this but it seems Qemu has experimental emulation of the ATI Rage 128 since version 4.1 in 2019. I wrote Rave because in the setup menu of Tomb Raider you can pick Software, Rave or 3dfx but 3dfx is greyed. I don't know if it's possible to emulate the 3dfx though. On the picture I was running Macos 9.2.

RAVE was a short-lived Mac equivalent of D3D from around the G3 era, it was an API that could be shared between 3d card manufacturers and developers. It was intended to run on hardware 3d accelerators but could also run in software. It was the more basic part of Quickdraw 3d. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QuickDraw_3D

They dumped it pretty quickly and switched to OpenGL, I only remember seeing it on a clamshell iBook when I was a kid.

Reply 221 of 261, by abasak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote on 2023-05-25, 16:49:

What? Seriously? I've never even heard about the Mac version. How does it look like? Got any screenshots?

If you look at the Enhanced version that Nightdive put up it uses the high resolution assets, such as character portraits, intro, ingame v-mail and so on. If I recall correctly the Mac version also had redbook audio.

So basically check out the Enhanced version , to see the small changes. Also the Enhanced version is created from the Mac source code.

Edit: I am not talking about the recent remake.

Reply 223 of 261, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Laser wrote on 2023-07-13, 04:08:

The best game for the MAC 68k is Flashback ,it runs in high res 640x480 compared to the PC version which run in low res , also the sound and music in the MAC version is better

it's a FAT binary too... (68K/PPC) very nice if you play this on a 6100/66

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 224 of 261, by Dimitris1980

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I agree with Flashback. It is fantastic on Mac. I started once playing the game from the start on my Macintosh Performa 6116CD and on my Cyrix Dos/W95 PC. I played only the first level of the PC version and a little in the beginning of the 2nd level and then I abandoned it. The reason was the graphics that seemed poor compared to Mac. Both monitors were side by side. Macintosh Color Display M1212 for the Macintosh and Sony Trinitron 15 inches for the PC. Mac version has probably the best graphics of all formats. I have seen various versions on mobygames and on youtube and only on Mac version you can see they eyes on the characters. I agree also regarding the sound. I like the quality of the sound effects ( it sounds better than my sound blaster vibra 16S) more on Mac and the music is better than the adlib/sound blaster. All the cutscenes are also in hires and they look amazing. On Mac you can also save the game at some points, quit, and continue whenever you like. On PC you can save at some points of the game but if you quit, then you have to use the password and play the game from the beginning.

The only thing I like more on my PC is the music because I use a Roland MT-32 or CM-64. But again Mac's music is very nice on this game.

One detail: If you see the game's menu, on PC and Amiga is written "1992". On Mac (floppy version) is written "1992-1994".

- Macintosh LC475, Powerbook 540c, Macintosh Performa 6116CD, Power Macintosh G3 Minitower (x2), Imac G3, Powermac G4 MDD, Powermac G5, Imac Mid 2007
- Cyrix 120
- Amiga 500, Amiga 1200
- Atari 1040 STF
- Roland MT32, CM64, CM500, SC55, SC88, Yamaha MU50

Reply 225 of 261, by Laser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dimitris1980 wrote on 2023-07-14, 19:32:

I agree with Flashback. It is fantastic on Mac. I started once playing the game from the start on my Macintosh Performa 6116CD and on my Cyrix Dos/W95 PC. I played only the first level of the PC version and a little in the beginning of the 2nd level and then I abandoned it. The reason was the graphics that seemed poor compared to Mac. Both monitors were side by side. Macintosh Color Display M1212 for the Macintosh and Sony Trinitron 15 inches for the PC. Mac version has probably the best graphics of all formats. I have seen various versions on mobygames and on youtube and only on Mac version you can see they eyes on the characters. I agree also regarding the sound. I like the quality of the sound effects ( it sounds better than my sound blaster vibra 16S) more on Mac and the music is better than the adlib/sound blaster. All the cutscenes are also in hires and they look amazing. On Mac you can also save the game at some points, quit, and continue whenever you like. On PC you can save at some points of the game but if you quit, then you have to use the password and play the game from the beginning.

The only thing I like more on my PC is the music because I use a Roland MT-32 or CM-64. But again Mac's music is very nice on this game.

One detail: If you see the game's menu, on PC and Amiga is written "1992". On Mac (floppy version) is written "1992-1994".

yes the flashback music in the MAC is very good. but the best music of all version of flashbacks is in the Amiga version, which is the original game btw
however the Amiga version lacks some cutscenes and run in low res as the pc version

The perfect flashback version is the MAC version + Amiga sfx/music

Reply 227 of 261, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah I've gotta say the mac versions are definitely very impressive, though I'd say the biggest downside to the mac is the smaller library of games , if you stick with the mac you miss out on games like veil of darkness , ecstatica , callahans crosstime saloon , inner worlds , quarantine, Robinson's requiem , crusader no remorse etc. The main advantage of the pc is the dizzying variety of titles and hardware available for it in the 90s.

Also I've only got so much room in the house which is why I ended up getting an amiga 500 to go with my dos pc and not a mac , there's just more games to play.

But hell if you've got the space its worth getting a mac , the more the merrier right?

Reply 228 of 261, by Laser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
robertmo wrote on 2023-07-14, 21:12:

sega cd version has full voice in whole game 😀

yep, and it have cinematic music durig all the game, something all the other flashback haven't
but such addons were added later starting off the original Amiga game, yet personally I think the Amiga and MAC versions are the best

Reply 229 of 261, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

only on Mac version you can see they eyes on the characters.

|-)

Attachments

• eyes.png
    Filename
    eyes.png
    File size
    8.91 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    eyes
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 230 of 261, by Dimitris1980

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
robertmo wrote on 2023-07-15, 14:58:

only on Mac version you can see they eyes on the characters.

|-)

Haha 😂

Today I went to the house I grew up and I transported some retro stuff. Here's a picture of Flashback on my Macintosh LC475 :

Attachments

- Macintosh LC475, Powerbook 540c, Macintosh Performa 6116CD, Power Macintosh G3 Minitower (x2), Imac G3, Powermac G4 MDD, Powermac G5, Imac Mid 2007
- Cyrix 120
- Amiga 500, Amiga 1200
- Atari 1040 STF

Reply 231 of 261, by Laser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

upps I forgot of this :

Alone in the dark 3

another game which the Mac 68k version is far better , it runs in high res 640x480 compared to the buggy PC version DOS/WIndows which run in low res ,the difference is very noticeable

I really recommend this game but only if you played before ALone in the dark 1 or 2, due this one is largest and hardest

Reply 232 of 261, by Dimitris1980

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Laser wrote on 2023-07-17, 08:21:
upps I forgot of this : […]
Show full quote

upps I forgot of this :

Alone in the dark 3

another game which the Mac 68k version is far better , it runs in high res 640x480 compared to the buggy PC version DOS/WIndows which run in low res ,the difference is very noticeable

I really recommend this game but only if you played before ALone in the dark 1 or 2, due this one is largest and hardest

Yes, I agree 👍💯. The series have great graphics on Macintosh. I guess also Time Gate: Knight's Chase. I have the french copy from Macintosh garden and it has also hires graphics, very clean and sharp picture but I don't have the PC version.

Alone in the Dark 1 looks lot better on my Mac compared to my PC. I have downloaded also the Acorn Archimedes version to run the game via emulator and it misses the music.

- Cyrix 120
- Amiga 500, Amiga 1200
- Atari 1040 STF

Reply 233 of 261, by Dimitris1980

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't remember if we or I have mentioned here, another great Mac version is Dark Forces from Lucas arts. I played the first two levels on PC and on Power Macintosh G3 Minitower using the same Sony Trinitron 15 inches crt monitor via a VGA switch. Mac supports bigger resolution and the PC only VGA 320x200. Dos version has great music quality with the Roland SC-55. But the midi sound of the Mac is also very nice. The graphics are lot better on Mac.

- Cyrix 120
- Amiga 500, Amiga 1200
- Atari 1040 STF

Reply 235 of 261, by Dimitris1980

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Interesting I can say. I didn't know about that. But it seems that it's something that was released some years before . Like the Ultimate Talkie versions of Monkey Island 1 & 2 or Simon the Sorcerer 2 including subtitles 😀. For newer machines I guess or dosbox. I don't know if I can use this on my Cyrix 6x86 Dos\Windows 95 with S3 Virge 😀

So, this just came on my mind:

https://youtu.be/iqbOpC-aWCs (Prince of Persia Macintosh version speedfix)

- Cyrix 120
- Amiga 500, Amiga 1200
- Atari 1040 STF

Reply 237 of 261, by Laser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dimitris1980 wrote on 2023-07-17, 09:16:

I don't remember if we or I have mentioned here, another great Mac version is Dark Forces from Lucas arts. I played the first two levels on PC and on Power Macintosh G3 Minitower using the same Sony Trinitron 15 inches crt monitor via a VGA switch. Mac supports bigger resolution and the PC only VGA 320x200. Dos version has great music quality with the Roland SC-55. But the midi sound of the Mac is also very nice. The graphics are lot better on Mac.

yep the mac version of dark forces is a bit better on the MAC but if you compare it with the plain DOS version,
but there is a force engine mod for dark forces, look how nice it looks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyv15MMA3og

Reply 238 of 261, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Skip to 1:55:x~ for an interview of Aaron Giles who ported games to the mac, an upscaler + smoothing algorithms was used for much of the mac games, like all the current emulation scalers/smoothers, rather than native: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhbZCqhnfa4

Reply 239 of 261, by Dimitris1980

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Laser wrote on 2023-07-18, 20:47:
yep the mac version of dark forces is a bit better on the MAC but if you compare it with the plain DOS version, but there is a […]
Show full quote
Dimitris1980 wrote on 2023-07-17, 09:16:

yep the mac version of dark forces is a bit better on the MAC but if you compare it with the plain DOS version,
but there is a force engine mod for dark forces, look how nice it looks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyv15MMA3og

It runs very well. Smoothy movement.

- Cyrix 120
- Amiga 500, Amiga 1200
- Atari 1040 STF