VOGONS

First post, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi there,

does someone have such a PC-Card in his Macintosh?
What PC-Card do you have and in what Mac is it installed?
What PC-Software/OS do you have installed?

Thx
Doc

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 1 of 12, by ifrit05

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Always wanted a DOS/PC card for Macintosh, most I can find are for the PDS's, any of which I do not own.

P3B-F v1.03 | VIA C3 Nehemiah 1GHz @ 1.33GHz| 4x128 PC133 | GeForce4 Ti 4200 | OPL3-SA3+DreamBlaster X2GS

Reply 2 of 12, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have collected some of these cards, but I am interested what other people have and what they do with them.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/94839221@N05/al … 157665671196304

Last edited by dr.zeissler on 2020-10-07, 08:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 12, by tokyoracer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got a "DOS Compatible" Performa 630.

Really fun, very useable with it's 486 @66 and SoundBlaster Vibra module.

Running DOS 6.22 and Win 3.11.

Mac is running System 8.1 (would prefer 7.5.5 but it didn't like the DOS card on that OS).

Reply 5 of 12, by Anonymous Freak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have quite a few.

A Performa 630 DOS Compatible, a Power Macintosh 6100/66 DOS Compatible, and a boxed PCI "PC Compatibility Card"

You need the "PC Setup" system extension+control panel to make the DOS card work in any of them. Version 1.x were the original releases of the software by Apple. Version 2.0 was spun off to a separate company to sell, and had quite a few improvements. The seller of 2.0 made Version 2.1.7 free when shutting down - you can find perfectly legal copies of 2.1.7 online, including the serial number registered to "free". You need version 2.x to run a DOS card on Mac OS 8 or later. (Although there are no drivers for Mac OS X.)

Reply 7 of 12, by sirfoxx14

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr.zeissler wrote on 2020-01-03, 12:59:

I do some and I do use them, but I am interested what other people have and what they do with them.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/94839221@N05/al … 157665671196304

I have one-- Orange386.

Do you know how to get into the bios / setup? I am trying to change the ram amount, but I cannot get into the bios to do so.

Attachments

Reply 8 of 12, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't remember the bios-keys...sorry. I never changed settings. I have to try it out...

...edit...
http://archive.retro.co.za/mirrors/68000/www. … d.com/O386.html

"The easiest way to enter the BIOS setup is to hold down any key on startup to generate a keyboard error;
then type Ctrl-Alt-Esc to run the BIOS setup program."

Reply 9 of 12, by sirfoxx14

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr.zeissler wrote on 2020-10-07, 08:48:
I don't remember the bios-keys...sorry. I never changed settings. I have to try it out... […]
Show full quote

I don't remember the bios-keys...sorry. I never changed settings. I have to try it out...

...edit...
http://archive.retro.co.za/mirrors/68000/www. … d.com/O386.html

"The easiest way to enter the BIOS setup is to hold down any key on startup to generate a keyboard error;
then type Ctrl-Alt-Esc to run the BIOS setup program."

Well...thats not good. Take a read here.

OrangePC Bios help

I cannot get it to generate a keyboard error. My application does not have the hidden preference window either. When I try to upgrade the ram, the amount is incorrect when it does a ram check, and if i put two stick in slots 3&4, it says the ram count does not match cmos--run setup, but never says how to.

Reply 10 of 12, by Godlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can flash 3dfx PC cards with mac counterparts to get them working. Good for older games and older macs

5xv2YSm.png
ASUS P2B-F, PII 450Mhz, 128MB-SDR, 3Dfx Diamond Monster 3D II SLI, Matrox Millennium II AGP, Diamond Monster Sound MX300

Reply 11 of 12, by cloverskull

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'd love to find a decent Orange Micro OrangePC card. All the ones I see on eBay are missing the required cables, which I believe renders them basically useless. But man, do I want one of them!

Reply 12 of 12, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is about PC-Cards that make a macintosh boot a PC Environment, not about PC-Gfx-Cards to flash them to work on Macintosh.
Btw. 3dfx is overhyped and apple made the right choice to go to ati on the very early PCI gfx cards, they are far superior over 3dfx.