VOGONS

Does anyone own a MISTer FPGA and how is it?

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 65, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DMJC wrote on 2023-10-07, 11:45:
I own a MiSTer, I bought it so I could play Wing Commander: Privateer without having to have a bulky retro PC setup. I have a lo […]
Show full quote

I own a MiSTer, I bought it so I could play Wing Commander: Privateer without having to have a bulky retro PC setup. I have a lot of thoughts regarding it:
AO486 Core:
Pros:
- Runs Privateer Perfectly
- Good sound blaster emulation.
- Wing Commander 1/2 work great
- Strike Commander/Hocus Pocus/Wacky Wheels/Syndicate all work perfectly.
- Anything you need a 386 for just get a MiSTer.
- FreeDOS is a gem on this thing, it runs most of the DOS games and you can run drive images of at least 8GB Fat32 (tested by me)
- Drive image swapping/ISO support is awesome. Retro PC without the headaches.

Cons:
- Little underpowered for WC 3/4 (3D Space flight performance isn't there in SVGA, playable in VGA but not ideal)
- Privateer 2 crashes ingame due to no FPU.
- 486+ it gets dodgy.
- Avoid Windows 98SE it boots but it's not worth it
- SDCard Write performance is awful (there are network mount workarounds and you can pre-load a card fast on a modern PC).

Overall:
Worth the money, I would buy it again, however I would caution people wanting to use it for the AO486 core. PC Emulation has challenges on MiSTer (no FPU and no Pentum 1 support). There is no perfect solution for X86 retro gaming, but a MiSTer can help you get rid of 386/486 era hardware. I would recommend Retro Gamers have a MiSTer, a Pentium 2/3 era Voodoo2+ machine and a modern gaming PC, old 386/486/XT hardware is no longer needed with a MiSTer.

I don't see you mentioning MT32-Pi integration. If you don't have one, it can really make some DOS games of that era shine. The MiSTer itself can run smaller Soundfonts through FluidSynth directly. But if you are going back to 386, MT32 is much more common than General MIDI.

Reply 61 of 65, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Almost all of the newer PC-alike console generations (including PS2, Xbox1, and anything newer) would be arguably pointless to have on FPGA.

The architectures don't suit. The complex syncs of earlier generations, replicated so well in FPGA capabilities, have been supplanted in later console generations by modern PC-like (or even "actual PC" in some cases) architectures, for which the wonders of FPGA do little or nothing that existing software emulators couldn't do just as well, if not better, on any normal PC.

Dreamcast is my only lament (that MiSTer can't handle it), but I won't be uprooting the world over that.

Reply 62 of 65, by xelizor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Shreddoc wrote on 2023-10-07, 21:16:

Almost all of the newer PC-alike console generations (including PS2, Xbox1, and anything newer) would be arguably pointless to have on FPGA.

The architectures don't suit. The complex syncs of earlier generations, replicated so well in FPGA capabilities, have been supplanted in later console generations by modern PC-like (or even "actual PC" in some cases) architectures, for which the wonders of FPGA do little or nothing that existing software emulators couldn't do just as well, if not better, on any normal PC.

Dreamcast is my only lament (that MiSTer can't handle it), but I won't be uprooting the world over that.

Is emulation able to deliver perfect frametimes? Because most of the time it feels very choppy even if the framerate is rock solid 60fps... Otherwise, I think it will still be necessary to have those systems under Fpga. Cheers

Reply 65 of 65, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
midicollector wrote on 2024-03-29, 05:48:

Fpgas are just emulation.

Emulation is one of the most exciting and advanced areas of computing and hacking, so "just" is quite a stretch.

You, in another thread today, about the PicoGUS : Every time you update this, I get more and more excited to buy one! This is seriously one of the best retro products of all time.

And I agree. But guess what? The PicoGUS is also "just emulation". So it seems that you are quite passionately in favour of this "just emulation", after all! 😀