VOGONS

First post, by Dosboxxer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was fortunate enough to buy a superNT before it sold out and I'm pretty sold on FPGA "emulation"

I had a 1-chip snes which i really enjoyed but at the end I decided to sell the SNES and keep the SuperNT.

I'm really hoping they release a $200 NES clone next because there is no way i'm paying a ebay scalper $1000+ for a NT Mini.

Anyone else here own a system?

My RetroRig: IBM 300gl, Pentium II 400, 192mb Ram, S3 Trio64 2mb, SB16 Value
Win98 SE 4.10.22222 A

Reply 1 of 6, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm guessing you are aware that there are other FPGA devices? The Retro AVS is a popular NES device, and the MiSTer is a popular multi system device.

I don't own one. Considering getting a MiSTer, but runahead has made emulation really catch up in input latency for a lot of titles so not sure I need it any longer.

Reply 3 of 6, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I own the Super NT and Mega SG. They're fine but not perfect, with issues when using any resolution other than 1080p on the latest firmware (480p: image is cut off on left by several pixels, 720p: scanline filter does not line up properly with the image).

I also own the RetroUSB AVS and would recommend it for sure. If you want an FPGA NES and don't want to pay scalper prices on Ebay for an NT mini, this is the way to go. It "only" supports 720p resolution but NES games look great (especially with scanline emulation) at this resolution, but it offers a feature that the NT mini does not—optional (slight) horizontal interpolation to eliminate uneven pixel shimmering when the image is scaled to a non-integer aspect ratio.

Reply 4 of 6, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just wish that someone would make an N64 clone with HDMI output. By far the best HDMI solution currently available for the N64 is the UltraHDMI, which stopped production a couple of years ago, and scalpers are now selling them for ridiculous prices (I saw one for almost $1,500). Lesser solutions produce inferior picture quality, and aren't usable for me anyway, since I have a PAL N64 (being in England) and some N64 + HDMI solutions don't work with PAL consoles, and also because I also play NTSC games upon my PAL N64 (the Everdrive 64 makes this possible), and some N64 + HDMI solutions can't show the NTSC signal that a PAL N64 outputs.

Of course, if N64 emulation becomes good enough, then I'd be happy emulating the console on my PC or laptop, but it still has problems at the moment. I've heard that emulation of the Gamecube and the Wii are more accurate than emulation of the N64, which baffles me. Mind you, emulation of the PS3 is apparently quite good now, too, so maybe I shouldn't be so surprised.

Reply 6 of 6, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kerr Avon wrote on 2020-10-17, 14:31:

Of course, if N64 emulation becomes good enough, then I'd be happy emulating the console on my PC or laptop, but it still has problems at the moment.

libretro's Mupen64next has a very fast good ParaLLEl Vulkan backend that takes in all of its dithered+smoothed+antialiased 240p glory. There were major improvements to it earlier this year so it's the best balance for accuracy and speed. and is definitely not very FPGA-able at this time.

(it also has a silly option to render N64 in higher resolutions with those effects, but it'll break some buffer effects and also doesn't do anything about the fog.)

apsosig.png