VOGONS

Reply 20 of 24, by held

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SScorpio wrote on 2021-10-02, 14:29:
held wrote on 2021-10-02, 14:04:

It looks great, but portability is out of the question

If you are looking for something smaller, Porkchop Express from MisterAddons posted a teaser for a new project I can't find an image of right now.

But it takes the DE10-Nano with either the digital or full IO hat, and replaces the USB hub with a custom board that sits along the side, this gives you IO in the front and back of the case. So it will be slightly larger than two DE10-Nano sitting side by side. And could support the digital IO board with dual memory modules if that ends up being necessary in the future for the Saturna and PSX cores.

Sound nice, I'll start searching.. Man I watched that video twice, and now I want the RMC one too. But I'm still on the fence, because the desire will wane, and when it does I can make a proper decision.

Reply 21 of 24, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
held wrote on 2021-10-04, 18:08:

Sound nice, I'll start searching.. Man I watched that video twice, and now I want the RMC one too. But I'm still on the fence, because the desire will wane, and when it does I can make a proper decision.

It's something that's in the development phase, so it will probably be a while. It using the standard add-on boards except for the USB hub is likely the main draw for most.

You could always just get a DE10-Nano, and the 128MB SDRAM, along with a cheap micro USB OTG hub. That will run everything over HDMI, and is a good starting point.

Reply 22 of 24, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you want to play retro console games and care about latency, I would recommend getting a MISTer FPGA setup, but also having a Raspberry Pi for games that work well with runahead.

If latency isn't important to you, I would just get a Raspberry Pi.

Reply 23 of 24, by held

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ZellSF wrote on 2021-10-06, 08:36:

If you want to play retro console games and care about latency, I would recommend getting a MISTer FPGA setup, but also having a Raspberry Pi for games that work well with runahead.

If latency isn't important to you, I would just get a Raspberry Pi.

Yeah, I kinda hate choppiness and controllers not responding. Its a tick.
RPI is €135 incl. shipping, so that €50 difference, maybe for harder to emulate like PS2 & DreamCast. (Actually, now that I think about it, maybe I'll get it too on the side.)

SScorpio wrote on 2021-10-04, 23:03:

You could always just get a DE10-Nano, and the 128MB SDRAM, along with a cheap micro USB OTG hub. That will run everything over HDMI, and is a good starting point.

Yeah, I'm considering the board, its €185 incl. shipping.
Where do I source the 128mb from and what version do I need.

Also what controllers are people using?

Reply 24 of 24, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
held wrote on 2021-10-08, 15:47:
Yeah, I'm considering the board, its €185 incl. shipping. Where do I source the 128mb from and what version do I need. […]
Show full quote
SScorpio wrote on 2021-10-04, 23:03:

Yeah, I'm considering the board, its €185 incl. shipping.
Where do I source the 128mb from and what version do I need.

Also what controllers are people using?

The SDRAM is a custom board, you can either make your own or order one.

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... mbly-(DIY)

Since you posted a price in Euros your in Europe? UltimateMister.com seems to be the main source for official boards in Europe.

The controller is up to you. People people use original controls with adapters, other use modern controllers over Bluetooth. It's up to you.