VOGONS

First post, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi guys! Raine emulator have new versions, but sadly sound is not working good or at all in my computers, someone can help me to test? the developer is active and working, but he dont have a real dos machine to test, and he do in PCem, where he say works ok, but in ANY of my real computers work good... and i want to give him some more feedback

website downloads

https://raine.1emulation.com/download/old-versions.html

Raine with allegro library audio, direct links

I tested with this audio card

SB16 no PNP IRQ 5 & 7
AWE32 no PNP IRQ 5 & 7
AWE64 PNP IRQ 5 & 7
CMI8330 in SB16 mode distortioned bad sound, SB1-pro mode big noise, IRQ 5 and 7
ALS100 in SBpro mode work more or less good but with noise, IRQ 5 and 7
ESS AudioDrive (ES1868) same as ALS100, but this one is not PNP, no need to any software to initialize, IRQ 5 and 7

Pentium 1 mmx + CMI8330 (SB16 compatible)
Cyrix MII 366 + SB16 and ESS+ALS100
Pentium Pro 200 + AWE32
Pentium 3 1ghz + AWE64

BONUS:

old Raine with SEAL library audio work fine in SB1 mode, AWE32 never worked for me in awe32 or 64

https://raine.1emulation.com/archive/rained-0.91.9.7z

Thanks

Reply 1 of 8, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh i forget, here is the forum where original developer post, his name is tux

https://www.1emulation.com/forums/forum/126-raine/

Is great in 2024 still dos emulators are.in developing and more.amazing original coder answer you in a couple.of.hours

thats why will be great give him.some real hardware feedback

thanks

Reply 3 of 8, by Robbbert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried with 0.96.6 and using a CT2230 Sound Blaster 16 ISA card. At first I accidently chose Sound Blaster 2.0 driver (in Raine) and got a lot of crashes, freezes and so on. Once I picked the proper driver, it worked for mspacmab, but it froze halfway loading wakuwak7, I assume because it ran out of memory. Even with the proper driver I had to select the full volume mixer option, otherwise the sound level was too low for me to hear anything.

Then I tried the 0.96.7 (seal) version, but this produced almost no sound, and the selection of the proper driver was missing.

Reply 4 of 8, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

https://raine.1emulation.com/archive/rained-0.96.6.7z

Tested with sbemu with and without realmode support game crashes loads bubble bobble background

works okay with jemmex
[/quote]

Hi thanks, but need to be tested in real hardware no emulation, thanks anyway!

Robbbert wrote on 2024-02-03, 08:43:

I tried with 0.96.6 and using a CT2230 Sound Blaster 16 ISA card. At first I accidently chose Sound Blaster 2.0 driver (in Raine) and got a lot of crashes, freezes and so on. Once I picked the proper driver, it worked for mspacmab, but it froze halfway loading wakuwak7, I assume because it ran out of memory. Even with the proper driver I had to select the full volume mixer option, otherwise the sound level was too low for me to hear anything.

Then I tried the 0.96.7 (seal) version, but this produced almost no sound, and the selection of the proper driver was missing.

i thanks a lot for test

What the spect of your PC?

Seal version works fine for me in all my SB & clones ISA card, weird did not work for you 220 i5-7 d1 h5 true? to test myself

About allegro sound version (NO the seal) never worked for my in any soundcard, for you in mspacman beside low level sound was more or less ok? i get a lot of noise

Reply 5 of 8, by Robbbert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Speed is 500 MHz. Compaq EN series (1999). Windows for workgroups 3.11 is on the machine and the sound works perfectly with it.
BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 D330 T6

Memory is 64MB because that's all DOS can see. As a test I added another 128MB but Raine still crashed while loading Waku Waku 7.

Reply 6 of 8, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robbbert wrote on 2024-02-03, 12:10:

Speed is 500 MHz. Compaq EN series (1999). Windows for workgroups 3.11 is on the machine and the sound works perfectly with it.
BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 D330 T6

Memory is 64MB because that's all DOS can see. As a test I added another 128MB but Raine still crashed while loading Waku Waku 7.

Hi, no, for waku waku for sure you will need at least 128mb, i have 256mb and no problem even with biggest neogeo roms

Ok, i will test IRQ5 as soon i can, normally i use irq7, but i believe i already did in the past, and i have same problems.

Raine is a amzing emulator, CPS2, Neogeo... but the sound is a big problem, and i really need to be sure is not my sound card/configurations etc

Reply 7 of 8, by Macrofeet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If the dos sound code is being worked on consider pushing for including emulation

SBLIVE/Audigy/sbemu has to be quite a few people

Good luck

Reply 8 of 8, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Macrofeet wrote on 2024-02-04, 18:37:
If the dos sound code is being worked on consider pushing for including emulation […]
Show full quote

If the dos sound code is being worked on consider pushing for including emulation

SBLIVE/Audigy/sbemu has to be quite a few people

Good luck

PCI cards have too many flaws to consider results valid. And emulation is a no go, since original author have this problem, he only test in emulator

If someone want to test and give results of SBLIVE/Audigy/sbemu can do directly in raine forum, i only want to collect ISA cards results to the developer, but seems not many people have interest in this forum, I get a lot of feedback already in tother forums and in this days i will write in raine forum with results