First post, by Nicht Sehr Gut
Upon installing SP3 for Win2K, some people have reported errors using the Windows Installer service. I have encountered this issue when trying to install VDMSound. Here is one possible fix (use with caution!):
- Run msiexec.exe from the command prompt to verify the version, if there is no dialog box but instead an error in the NTVDM, then continue with these instructions.
- Download InstMsiW.exe from Microsoft.
- Extract InstMsiW.exe using WinZip or a similar tool.
- Check and write down the versions (via the properties of file) of the following files in the C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32 directory:
- In step 4, msiexec.exe should not have reported a version but instead appeared as a 16-bit program (DOS).
- From the extracted contents of InstMsiW.exe, copy msiexec.exe over the old copy (be sure to backup the original msiexec.exe first).
- Run the following commands (Start Menu > Run):
For details see http://www.sourcewave.co.za/news.htm [29 August 2002].
(Info was from Vlad, I just posted it *heh*-NSG)