VOGONS

First post, by L2PG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

😕 I have reinstalled a old dos game Blackthorne; Initially it was slow until I installed VDMS 2.1.0 and DosBox 0.6.3 which help improve the sound effects and speed, but no music in the background. My OS is Windows XP, P-4, CPU 2.00GHz and 256MB RAM. Soundblaster. Port 200, IRQ 5, DMA 1...VDMS using Port 200, IRQ 7, DMA 1.....neither will reconize the others IRQ, tried to switch IRQ 5 and 7. But with the sound effects coming through okay why wont the music play???

Reply 1 of 7, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some comments:
- VDMSound and DOSBox are totally separate and not compatable or related in any way. VDMSound is for running games in a Windows command prompt session, while DOSBox is a PC & DOS emulator for running games in a virtual DOS environment.
- Both VDMSound and DOSBox emulate a virtual sound card (including the IRQs, DMAs, and ports) and don't care what settings your real Windows sound card is using as long as your sound hardware is working in Windows.
- The default settings for a real Sound Blaster are either A220 I5 D1 or A220 I7 D1 depending on the model. A port of 200 instead of 220 is likely to cause all sorts of compatability issues - especially with the Adlib/OPL/Soundblaster FM synthesis music that you're not hearing. I'd say this is your most likely culprit.

Reply 3 of 7, by L2PG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have corrected all the settings. Getting more sound from characters, but no music . When the game starts you hear music in the intro, but then it stops. 😕 Tried MIDI sound, (switch back to SoundBlaster since the sounds were better) same thing happens...no back ground music. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Reply 4 of 7, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Works fine for me with a recent DOSBox CVS build as well as in 0.63. Tried with SoundBlaster Pro sound and both General MIDI and SoundBlaster Pro (OPL3) music. Music plays all the way through the intro and never cut out even after playing several minutes into the game.

General MIDI sounds much better than OPL3 for me, but I have a better MIDI synth than the one built into Windows.

I'm running with the dynamic core and cycles just under 20000 (although it looks and sounds fine at as low as 5000).

Suggestions:
- Try the DOSBox settings I mentioned, including a CVS build (if you haven't already)
- Make sure you're running the Windows latest sound drivers for your sound hardware (from Creative Labs' site) and that you have the latest version of DirectX installed
- Try running other DOS games. See if you can get them to autodetect settings, and if they work you can compare them to the ones you're trying to use with Blackthorne.
- If you're using a cracked version, try getting your hands on an uncracked version to verify that the crack isn't causing the problem.

Reply 5 of 7, by L2PG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

😕 I updated the sound card driver, and have the newest DirectX 9.c; I download CVS, but not sure how to install...I copied to DOSBox. So I don't see any changes happening when I open DOSBox. I assume that DOSBox can figure it out with it being in the same folder. 😕
I have tried Rise of the Triad...no problem with the sound effects or music. Both games are using VDMSound. Don't know what you mean by Cracked version or how to determine if I have a cracked version or how to get an uncracked version??

Attachments

• The extension bmp has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.

Reply 6 of 7, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looks like you put the CVS files in a subfolder. You actually want to put them over the top of the 0.63 files - especially replace the 0.63 dosbox.exe with the CVS dosbox.exe.

The uncracked version asks you to check your manual when you save your settings in the setup program.

Reply 7 of 7, by LOGAN five

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What seems to work best for dos box emulation of BLACKTHORNE.
Is specifying in your
dos box options sound blaster 1 emulation SB1.
I set midi emulation to UART and opl3.

ALSO for me I had to set the cpu CYCLES in dosbox Options to 7400.

You have to have specify blaster settings in DOSBOX options. NOT AUTOEXEC.
SAVE

NOW Run setup for BLACKTHORNE,
For digitized sound select SOUND BLASTER.
It will auto detect your environment settings. just hit enter

For digitized music select GENERAL MIDI
it will say 330 just hit enter