VOGONS

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

I tried to Play Doom1 SW Vers. 1.9 with VDMS. (Windows 2000 SP3) the Music worked, but when I tried to activate the Sound effects, doom hangs up at the Startup Timer. Do you know the secret ? I uses 220 I7 DMA1

Wolf 3d worked

Reply 2 of 11, by Unregistered

User metadata

What's the fixation with playing the original versions of Doom, Doom 2, and Heretic, when there are source ports out there that look and run sooo much better?

JDoom/JHeretic/Jhexen: OpenGL & D3D support, DirectSound support, music through MIDI mapper (or plays MP3s)
http://www.doomsdayhq.com

Legacy (Doom/Heretic): OpenGL, GLide, and software rendering support, Directsound, MIDI music
http://legacy.newdoom.com

VaVoom (Doom/Hexen/Heretic/Strife [sort of]): OpenGL & D3D, Directsound, MIDI music, and large amounts of renderer code "borrowed" from GPL Quake
http://www.vavoom-engine.com

ZDoom (Doom): Software rendering only, but very fast. New map-design features. Will soon have a proper OpenGL renderer
http://zdoom.notgod.com

I think you get the idea. All of these ports are better-looking and sounding than the DOS versions, and all of them run much better on modern hardware and operating systems. JDoom in particular is very good, because unlike regular Doom, it can run faster than 35 fps, has dynamic lighting and all kinds of other weird features, and still captures the same "feel" as regular Doom.

Reply 3 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yep, I played Doom when it first came out and I much prefer Jdoom today.

Why play the original game when you can play the updated ver without sacriricing anything from the original?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 11, by Unregistered

User metadata

Idiots.

Don't you realize that ZDoom, JDoom, Legacy et cetera change MANY things that effectively can cripple the Original DOOM feeling.
For example, legacy is stupid enough to look at the z-coords of objects when calculating splash damage -> the end boss takes about FIVE TO SIX rockets to kill, vs. the 2-3 hits (as god intended).

Not to even mention that looking up/down or jumping IS CHEATING!

Damn idiots.

Reply 5 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't you realize that ZDoom, JDoom, Legacy et cetera change MANY things that effectively can cripple the Original DOOM feeling.

On the contrary the original Doom "atmosphere" is only increased by the enhanced graphics/sound/gameplay. The intent of Doom is to immerse you in the atmosphere. No storyline just the atmosphere of the game is supposed to draw you in. Although it did so when the game was first released it does more so now with the enhanced graphics/sound/gameplay mechanics.

I mean really. I suppose you don't want up/down, jump, resolutions greater than 320x200 in Doom 3? 🙄

For example, legacy is stupid enough to look at the z-coords of objects when calculating splash damage -> the end boss takes about FIVE TO SIX rockets to kill, vs. the 2-3 hits (as god intended).

Never played DoomLegacy long enough to know that. IIRC, legacy is better than Jdoom for multiplayer correct? Supposedly JDoom has gotten better in this area but I've never been turned on my Internet gaming. Local LAN games yes...Internet Gaming NO!.

oooohhhkkaayyy, If I get deployed to the Desert I'll remember your words for the brief 5 secs when my life flashes before my eyes. 😉 I consider it as adding something that should have been there in the first place. I could jump in Commander Keen....I could arguably "see more", although the 2D character likely couldn't. " 😁 The ability to look up/down & Jump in Doom (although jump doesn't do much for Doom) is welcome. But if it floats your boat....

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 11, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Unregistered wrote:

Idiots.

Such Rapier-sharp wit.

Oh yes, I remember the crippling feeling as it encroached upon me and... Oh wait, that's nonsense.

Unregistered wrote:

...the end boss takes about FIVE TO SIX rockets to kill, vs. the 2-3 hits...

Wow, that's almost as bad as having the option of multiple skill levels. Oh...wait...

...(as god intended).

Actually, no. Just checked in with God and he says you're wrong. Actually he put it in a really polite way, but I'm just not that good with words. He wasn't happy about the way you used a small "g", though.

Yeah, that's almost as bad as restoring a game after you die. _Real_ players know that once die, you can never play again. That would be so "impure".

Damn idiots.

Such courage to post this anonymously. 😉 Seriously. If you're going to get this worked up over a DOOM source port, then you need to examine the priorities in your life.

Reply 7 of 11, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote:

I mean really. I suppose you don't want up/down, jump, resolutions greater than 320x200 in Doom 3?

Yes! Bring it all back: the mega-pixels, the requirement of specific IRQ's for audio, the "granular" crashes. Why stop there? Let's make it really manly! CGA and PC-speaker only! Yeah ;P

oooohhhkkaayyy, If I get deployed to the Desert I'll remember your words for the brief 5 secs when my life flashes before my eyes. 😉

Ohh...wait. I work with Electronic Countermeasures, I guess that's cheating too... Oh wait, DosFreak. Who's going to supply you with the "instant-health-restore" medikits, the "Beserk" packs, the "Soul Spheres"?

Oh wait, I forgot. After you die, you can restore from your last saved position. You're OK, then.

(although jump doesn't do much for Doom)

Actually, that would allow you to bypass some of the barriers from numerous levels. But nobody's requiring you to use it. Actually, most items like these are options that can be switched off. Actually nobody's requiring you to use a source-port either. Fancy that.

Reply 8 of 11, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Okay, that's enough flaming for one day. Everyone point and laugh as I reveal this person's IP to be 62.165.132.74. Don't try anything, though, since that's a dynamic IP address. It is, however, someone in Lahti, Finland, so if you know anyone there, ask if they use PHNet Internet Services, and if they do, feel free to plunk them. 😜

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 9 of 11, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

Okay, that's enough flaming for one day.

Ah come on. It wasn't flaming. Just teasing him really...

Everyone point and laugh as I reveal this person's IP

Well that wasn't necessary. He's already managed to publicly embarrass himself. He's just a _little_ too personally involved with his favorite game.

Reply 10 of 11, by Unregistered

User metadata

It is also worth noting (actually pointing out a possible answer to the other Unregistered guy's question) that many of the modern ports only include look up/down and jump as OPTIONS. In jDoom, for example, you have to manually enable jumping and bind a key for it. You don't have to use it if you don't want to.

There is also prBoom, which prides itself on being the "purest" Doom port. It only adds the Boom mapping features and some graphics tweaks, as far as I can tell.

Oh, and I almost forgot the old Doom95. Uses DirectX for audio/video and adds NO NEW FEATURES except higher resolution support (looks grainy, though).

Reply 11 of 11, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well that wasn't necessary. He's already managed to publicly embarrass himself. He's just a _little_ too personally involved with his favorite game.

I know, I'm evil like that. I figure if someone wants to make an arse out of themselves, it's my job to let everyone know who they are. 😉

Yes, it’s my fault.