VOGONS

Worms

Topic actions

First post, by Monkeybrains

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Has anyone managed to get the original Worms to work with VDMSound?
I just get the first two cinematics with no sound and then it gets stuck on a black screen.
If I try to run it without VDMSound it just gets stuck on a black screen straight away.
Also, for some reason its setup program detects the DMA as 0 instead of 1.
But if I set it to 1 manually it just gets stuck on a black screen straight away.

I'm using the latest version of VDMSound with all of the updates.

My spec:
Athlon XP 2200+
Asus A7V333
512MB DDR333 RAM
Geforce4 Ti4600
Soundblaster Audigy
Windows XP Home

Reply 1 of 11, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Monkeybrains I just get the first two cinematics with no sound and then it gets stuck on a black screen.

Does your version of this game use MIDI or CD-Audio for music?

Also, for some reason its setup program detects the DMA as 0 instead of 1.

Try choosing the most basic SoundBlaster option, Address of A220, IRQ of 7, and DMA of 1. Then try using the "Run with VDMS" option without the little musical note. If that works, change your setup options to select a better SoundBlaster card.

I had an apparent "PopF" bug with the demo of Worms, so I'm betting the retail version is the same way. If that's the case, you can use the non-GUI version of VDMSound or use the "Brute Force" fix for the GUI Launchpad (as described in the BUILD games post in the "Problem Children" thread at showthread.php?threadid=726 ).

My spec: Athlon XP 2200+...

Appreciate you placing the specs in your post, but you can save yourself some typing by just stating that your specs are in your Profile and then we can pull up your specs with a single click.

Reply 2 of 11, by Monkeybrains

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Does your version of this game use MIDI or CD-Audio for music?

CD-Audio.

Try choosing the most basic SoundBlaster option, Address of A220, IRQ of 7, and DMA of 1. Then try using the "Run with VDMS" option without the little musical note.

Stuck on a black screen straight away.

I had an apparent "PopF" bug with the demo of Worms, so I'm betting the retail version is the same way. If that's the case, you can use the non-GUI version of VDMSound or use the "Brute Force" fix for the GUI Launchpad (as described in the BUILD games post in the "Problem Children" thread at showthread.php?threadid=726 ).

OK, on its own the brute force thing does nothing, but if I use it with low level CD-ROM support I get to see all three cinematics and then it gets stuck on a half made title screen, then when I use Ctrl+Alt+Delete to get out of it, the CD music starts playing in windows.

Appreciate you placing the specs in your post, but you can save yourself some typing by just stating that your specs are in your Profile and then we can pull up your specs with a single click.

Whoops, I forgot it was in my profile.😮

Reply 3 of 11, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Monkeybrains CD-Audio.

Interesting. The demo uses MIDI. I wonder if there was a floppy version that used in MIDI in the full version...

Anyway, although it's possible the CD-audio may be related to your lockups. I think its a separate issue.

Stuck on a black screen straight away.

Unfortunate. That means it's more than just a "PopF" problem.

OK, on its own the brute force thing does nothing,...

It wasn't going to fix anything if the non-GUI version of VDMSound didn't work. That's why I said...

I had an apparent "PopF" bug with the demo of Worms, so I'm betting the retail version is the same way. If that's the case, you can use the non-GUI version of VDMSound or use the "Brute Force" fix

It's simply a fix for the "FixPopF" problem with the GUI launcher. "PopF" will cause the entire program to lockup, much like you described.

...but if I use it with low level CD-ROM support I get to see all three cinematics and then it gets stuck on a half made title screen, then when I use Ctrl+Alt+Delete to get out of it, the CD music starts playing in windows.

It sounds like you're suffering from a combination of problems. I'm pretty certain that "PopF" is part of the problem. It might also be worth tracking down a "No-CD" patch/crack.

Kind of hard to search for other people's info on this due the important keywords being so common "Worms", XP, etc... Does someone know of an active "Worms" website with user participation? I did find one that still had a message board, but almost no useable info at all.

In the meantime, try changing your setup to "none" for the soundcard. The demo autodetects, so I can't override it. Hopefully the full program doesn't do that (which would be odd if it still has a sound setup program). After you change it to none, run it from the command line without VDMSound (make sure the command line is full-screen before you start it up.

Reply 4 of 11, by Monkeybrains

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I managed to find one no CD crack, but couldn't get it to work (said it couldn't find something).
I'm not sure how it could work, as the game runs completely from the CD.
Only 492KB gets installed to the hard drive, basically just the sound setup, a couple of configuration files, the launcher and a readme.
Maybe I've got a strange version.

In the meantime, try changing your setup to "none" for the soundcard. The demo autodetects, so I can't override it. Hopefully the full program doesn't do that (which would be odd if it still has a sound setup program). After you change it to none, run it from the command line without VDMSound (make sure the command line is full-screen before you start it up.

Black screen again.

Reply 6 of 11, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Monkeybrains I managed to find one no CD crack, but couldn't get it to work (said it couldn't find something).

You would need to make sure it's for your version of WORMS. There were multiple releases and re-releases, which tends to confuse things.

I'm not sure how it could work, as the game runs completely from the CD.

Odd, considering how small it really is...

Maybe I've got a strange version.

Possibly. It could also be some particular combination of glitches that just make it very difficult to troubleshoot.

I'm able to run the demo version with music and sound effects just fine, so the basic engine of the game is not the problem.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Reply 7 of 11, by Monkeybrains

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just downloaded the demo and it runs fine for me too.

I'm pretty sure its because I have the Sold Out version, as I had a search on the Team 17 message boards and some people said that it runs fine for them on XP (with no sound, but I'm sure VDMSound could fix that) and when I had the original version years ago I'm pretty sure it installed a lot more stuff to the hard drive and that would explain why the crack doesn't work.

I think I'll try and get hold of a copy of the original version or maybe the original version of Worms United.

Reply 8 of 11, by Dos Game Player

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Kind of hard to search for other people's info on this due the important keywords being so common "Worms", XP, etc... Does someone know of an active "Worms" website with user participation? I did find one that still had a message board, but almost no useable info at all.

[url]http:\\forum.team17.com[/url]

Reply 9 of 11, by Dos Game Player

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Monkeybrains wrote:

I just downloaded the demo and it runs fine for me too.

I'm pretty sure its because I have the Sold Out version, as I had a search on the Team 17 message boards and some people said that it runs fine for them on XP (with no sound, but I'm sure VDMSound could fix that) and when I had the original version years ago I'm pretty sure it installed a lot more stuff to the hard drive and that would explain why the crack doesn't work.

I think I'll try and get hold of a copy of the original version or maybe the original version of Worms United.

The original is NO LONGER AVALABLE!

Reply 10 of 11, by Guest

User metadata

Worms is virtually impossible to get running stable in any version of Windows from 95 onwards (so your chances in XP are about nil).

However, download dosbox from http://dosbox.cjb.net/

Worms (and Reinforcements) will run pretty much flawlessly with this wonderful little program.

P.S. for smooth running I have found setting CPU cycles to 5500 and frame skip to 2 gives a very playable game. However you need to make sure that the ingame videos and double buffered screens are turned off in the worms options menu (turning down sound quality by a few notches ought to solve any stuttering too)

Good luck

Reply 11 of 11, by Dos Game Player

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Anonymous wrote:

Worms is virtually impossible to get running stable in any version of Windows from 95 onwards (so your chances in XP are about nil).

However, download dosbox from http://dosbox.cjb.net/

Or use http:\\dosbox.sourceforge.net

Anonymous wrote:

Worms (and Reinforcements) will run pretty much flawlessly with this wonderful little program.

P.S. for smooth running I have found setting CPU cycles to 5500 and frame skip to 2 gives a very playable game. However you need to make sure that the ingame videos and double buffered screens are turned off in the worms options menu (turning down sound quality by a few notches ought to solve any stuttering too)

Good luck