VOGONS

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

458mHz overclocked Celeron
Only 128mb (SD?)RAM.
Windows 2000 Pro (SP3 IIRC)
SBAwe64Gold
VDMsound with the newest gadgets

The sound effects don't work at all (but I don't care), the problem is the Adlib music which is too slow. Sometimes it works properly for just a few seconds, but then I can see the graphics and hear the music slow down. Speedset doesn't seem to do anything. I intend to record the music (is there way to rip it?), so the slow down must be fixed before that. Thanks in advance,

Fop

Reply 1 of 14, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sorry, mate. The game is pretty much FUBAR on NT systems. You can't do a whole lot to fix the problems it has. From my experience it won't even work in Win9x under a DOS window, so your only hope is running it from lineout to linein on another box from true DOS.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 3 of 14, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Unregistered wrote:

I'm quite certain it will run in Win98 - I've played the game through in Win98 a few times...
Fop

BSSKY has a speed adjustment in its own control panel, dunno how it would affect music though, but you can try. On Win2k it doesn't run so bad (music is OK).

I sthe speed also slow when you do *not* record the music to disk? If no, then how are you recording the music?

V.

Reply 5 of 14, by Fop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can record the midi music (when Roland is selected), and the game still plays slow but the midi files is at normal speed 😁
Some instruments aren't loud enought and those pesky "sound effects" need to be removed.. It still wouldn't sound right (but someone could say it sounds better). What is a good program to do that kind of stuff? Also, where could I find a sound font (my better machine has Live! Value) which tries to emulate MT32?

Reply 6 of 14, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Fop Also, where could I find a sound font (my better machine has Live! Value) which tries to emulate MT32?

showthread.php?threadid=1458
showthread.php?threadid=1192

Reply 7 of 14, by Fop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The GeneralUser is fabulous 😁
The BASS intro sounds like it should, but better 😁 I wonder how the midi file I recorded of it is over 5mb in size...
The JazzWare midi editor and winamp at least aren't able to open the midi files, but Media Player is. Is this a known bug?
But I've already got the intro properly recorded, I only need to trim it down. For some reason the factory tune isn't playing properly (it's missing instruments).

Reply 9 of 14, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes it would be missing things probably because the game is trying to program an MT-32 but there IS no MT-32 to program so it fails and the sounds don't come out correctly.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 11 of 14, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How are you recording them? The way I've done it for some games in the past is as follows:
- Route VDMSound or DOSbox (whichever you're using - or just Windows altogether) to MIDI-Yoke (a free MIDI loopback driver)
- Set MIDI-OX to record incoming data from MIDI-Yoke to a text file
- Edit the text file to change the initial channel volumes that the game set
- Use a text-to-MIDI converter (available on the MIDI-Yoke/OX site) to convert the text file to a .MID file

If you aren't already using these tools then it might be a lot of bother, but it's something to try I guess.

Reply 12 of 14, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Rumor also has it that ScummVM supports BSSky. Is this true? Anyway, if it is the case then you may be able to extract all music from the game using that as a resource editor (i.e. without having to actually play through the game).

Cheers,
V.

Reply 14 of 14, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by vladr Rumor also has it that ScummVM supports BSSky. Is this true?

Revolution is letting the ScummVM people look at the code. Whether or not they will be able to make a playable game out of it is another question.