VOGONS

First post, by ivanrolim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is a newer version available? I am trying to let version alpha 1 to work in my system. I use Ac97, so the 21498023 people with VIA motherboards 😒..... Via surelly has made a great mistake ignoring DMA in the north bridge.

Reply 1 of 4, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ivanrolim wrote:

Is a newer version available? I am trying to let version alpha 1 to work in my system. I use Ac97, so the 21498023 people with VIA motherboards 😒..... Via surelly has made a great mistake ignoring DMA in the north bridge.

Doesn't the Alpha work for you? It should, it's like the NT version but with a VxD instead of the VDD, so it's still 100% independent of your hardware/chipset/soundcard.

V.

Reply 3 of 4, by Unregistered

User metadata

Vlad.... it doesn't work on my computer at all either. i followed all the instructions on a forum dedicated to the alpha version (which for the life of me, i can't find again !! ). i even made sure that i got the latest alpha version. but NO sound, none at all. i know that my sound card can handle sb emul just fine. The SCUMMVM emulator works great for all my LucasArts games. i even tried using that terrible "DosBox" emulator and got some sound and music (but i hate the program, it's just terrible). the installation of the VDM package went exactly as stated in the posts, and it even loads everything correctly (appears to anyway), but NO sound in ANY dos game. now, before we get much further, here are my system specs:

Intel Celeron 500 mhz cpu
Cirrus Logic Crystal Audio sound card ( on board )
ATI rage 128 video card
319 megs ram
Win 98SE OEM version

i made sure that the blaster variable was set to what i was told to leave it at and that it matched in the VDM boot file. the games that i am trying to get to work are Discworld, Wing Commander, Hero Quest, and all the sierra classics. i have a feeling that there must be something that i am doing wrong. if you or anybody else can help me, i would appreciate it. by the way, i did make sure that i used regsvr32 to properly register the dll files. the only one that i had a problem with was VXDSDLL.DLL i got a message saying that it could not be registered correctly. is this my problem, and if so, how do i fix it?