VOGONS

First post, by Mickey Bitsko

User metadata

i get these messages all the time:

loading vddloader.dll ...

invalid program file name, please check your pif file

i'm running xp. guess i've me got some learnin' to do.

Reply 1 of 8, by Guest

User metadata

I get that same error too. It's very frustrating. I even went into the temp folder where it says the pif file could not be found and found a file name matching the one in the error message and renamed it to filename.PIF and tried to run it and it complained about some OTHER pif file not being found. What the hell?

Reply 2 of 8, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

> guess i've me got some learnin' to do

Yep! Start here: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 8, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The .pif is OK (new and different one is generated everytime anyway), but files pointed to by the pif are not OK. make sure your username does not contain non-latin characters, windows doesn't like it - or change your TEMP environment variable to point somewhere else where this problem wouldn't exist.

Reply 4 of 8, by RichyRich

User metadata

Hi,

have the same problem. After a change of the TEMP path nothing changes.

The complete error message in german:

16-Bit-MS-DOS-Teilsystem
C:\Windows\USER\TEMP\~*******.PIF
Ungültiger Programmdateiname, überprüfen Sie Ihre PIF-Datei. Klicken Sie auf "Schließen", um die Anwendung zu beenden.

After the file close and nothing happens. DOSBOX works fine, but I want to use the CD-Versions of King's Quest V and VI, they don't work with DOSBOX.

I use WinXP Home SP1 and a Toshiba Satellite Notebook Satellite 2410-404 P4M 1,8Ghz

Thankx Alx

Reply 5 of 8, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Hi Alx - I don't know the cause of this error, but perhaps you can see if it is an VDMSound problem or a general problem when launching programs via a PIF file?

Which program are you trying to run?

Try creating a short-cut to the program. Create the short-cut in your %TEMP% folder, and then try to launch the program using the short-cut.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 6 of 8, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What version of LaunchPad.dll do you have? I seem to remember earlier versions of LaunchPad.dll would sometimes give this error if the game path had too many long file names with spaces.

CD versions of King's Quest 5 and 6 DO work in DOSBox. You just have to mount your CD drive or run it all from the harddrive. The Windows versions of these games will also run in the CVS of DOSBox with Windows 3.1.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers