VOGONS

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

Duke3d locks up whenever I try and test the sound and the game will not run.

I'm running win2k SP3.

Reply 2 of 16, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Unregistered wrote:

Duke3d locks up whenever I try and test the sound and the game will not run.

I'm running win2k SP3.

There is no SFX in Windows 2000 for BUILD engine games. (Duke3D, Shadow Warrior, Blood, etc).

Your only choices are:

1. "Upgrade" to Windows XP. It will allow you to play the Build engine games SFX BUT at at lowest settings.

2. Use Connectix Virtual PC (A PC emulator). With this you can run Duke3d in NT4/2K/XP but at a very slow speed, with crappy sound and slow video

3. The last and best option. Load BUILD engine games up in Real DOS. This is the OS they were made for and the OS which they run under the best.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 16, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Harekiet wrote:

Searching the previous posts is soo much trouble ain't it.

Neither is just helping him out, either 😉

DosFreak wrote:

1. "Upgrade" to Windows XP. It will allow you to play the Build engine games SFX BUT at at lowest settings.

Duke3D runs at maximum audio settings reasonably well here. It's virtually the only Build engine game I can make that claim about (I've been getting mixed results with Shadow Warrior, the best so far seemed to happen after installing VDMSLaunchpad, I'll have to look further into that) and it's only really true at 320x200. Going higher (using NOLFB) causes the stuttery sound that plagues Shadow Warrior to progressively come back. I'm kind of hoping a faster PC (I'm currently using a 400Mhz Pentium II overclocked to 496) will make it a bit easier but I'm not completely optimistic.

(Oh, and can anyone shed any light on why the reply text box has shrunk to about a third its size? Have you installed any new hacks recently?)

Wasurenaide...
...watashi ga iru koto o.
Itsudatte soba ni iru yo.

Gentoo. Because everything else is just shit. 😁
Registered Linux user #319839

Reply 4 of 16, by Unregistered

User metadata

DosFreak:

Option 3 sounds like the best to me however I don't know how to implement your suggestion. How can I get real DOS running on my computer? I'd prefer to not have to reinstall my OS or anything because I really don't have the time due to school.

I pretty much just felt like having a game of duke out of the blue and didn't realize just how much trouble that was going to be.

Thanks

Reply 5 of 16, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
LSD wrote:

Neither is just helping him out, either

That is entirely on a case-by-case basis. Sometimes people just need a reminder or a link. Other times, it can get very drawn-out. I'm still annoyed from a conversation we had with a someone where we covered every detail possible with the poster insisting that he had installed VDMSound properly when we asked (again and again). At the end of it we found that he had, in fact, only installed the GUI interface and not VDMSound (which also meant he didn't read the documentation that came with it and that when we asked if he had installed VDMSound 2.04, he had said yes without actually confirming what he had installed). The point is, a lot of time had been wasted simply because he hadn't bothered to do a little reading. That's not the case here, but it's always a good idea to try a quick search before you post. The problem you have may have been resolved a good while ago. I'm still amazed that there are still NT/2000/XP people who apparently aren't aware of source ports for DOOM and are still trying to run the DOS executable.

Duke3D runs at maximum audio settings ...

Right now, the only "good way" of running BUILD games is in DOS/Win9x. That's part of the reason why I set my machine to dual-boot between Win98 and XP. I can get tolerable play from XP, but it still "chugs" when I crank up the audio settings. I'm just hoping that the author of GLBuild actually completes his windows remake of BUILD.

Reply 6 of 16, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Originally posted by Nicht Sehr Gut
Right now, the only "good way" of running BUILD games is in DOS/Win9x. That's part of the reason why I set my machine to dual-boot between Win98 and XP. I can get tolerable play from XP, but it still "chugs" when I crank up the audio settings. I'm just hoping that the author of GLBuild actually completes his windows remake of BUILD.

[Sound Setup] ; ; FXDevice = 0 MusicDevice = 4 FXVolume = 220 MusicVolume = 252 NumVoices = 8 NumChannels = 2 NumBits = 16 Mix […]
Show full quote

[Sound Setup]
;
;
FXDevice = 0
MusicDevice = 4
FXVolume = 220
MusicVolume = 252
NumVoices = 8
NumChannels = 2
NumBits = 16
MixRate = 22000
MidiPort = 0x330
BlasterAddress = 0x220
BlasterType = 3
BlasterInterrupt = 5
BlasterDma8 = 1
BlasterDma16 = 5
BlasterEmu = 0x620
ReverseStereo = 0

Thats what the sound section of my Duke3D.cfg file currently looks like. In each case, it's set to the maximum allowed setting and it all works perfectly.

Shadow Warrior is my main beef though. It stutters regardless of the sound settings and with or without VDMSound. I've made some progress with it recently but I'm still not sure why, the only thing I can think of is that VDMSLaunchpad is somehow responsible. Either that or the new Creative drivers I installed recently.

Wasurenaide...
...watashi ga iru koto o.
Itsudatte soba ni iru yo.

Gentoo. Because everything else is just shit. 😁
Registered Linux user #319839

Reply 7 of 16, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
LSD wrote:

In each case, it's set to the maximum allowed setting and it all works perfectly.

If your Duke3D is working well enough for you, then consider yourself lucky. My point is that none of the BUILD games perform as well when running on an NT OS as they do when running on DOS or Win9x.

If you were running Duke under DOS or Win9x, it would run easily with both video and audio settings maximized. If you only have a NT-based OS, then your config is a reasonable one.

Reply 8 of 16, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Heh, since you all seem to be getting along pretty well beating a dead horse, I'd just like to comment on the one thing mentioned about this textbox being smaller: upgrade your browser. It will solve your problems. Yes, all of them. Except for the ActiveX ones, but AX is more of a liability than a useful tool.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 11 of 16, by TFI

User metadata

You have to use an utility called "CLI2NOP" that eliminates useless audio interrupts from the game. Remember to use the 2-pass option. I have Windows XP and it worked for me!

I attach CLI2NOP here:

[edit by Snover: aside from posting this twice, a superior version is available in Deep Thought. QUIT IT. Once is enough. Link to the post in which you uploaded a file-- don't duplicate them.]

Reply 12 of 16, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sigh. CLI2NOP and other programs that perform the same function (read the documentation in CLI2NOP or Snover's version of the program) do not work well under 2K due to how MS coded their NTVDM. CLI2NOP is pretty much useless for BUILD engine games under NT4/2000 and not necessary for ANY games under Windows XP.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 13 of 16, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Actually, CLI2NOP I've heard works quite well in some situations (Windows 2000, Duke3D). That was my patch, however. I can't vouch for the abilities of the SoundFX 2000 patch. In any case, it doesn't hurt to try.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 14 of 16, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote:

CLI2NOP is pretty much useless for BUILD engine games under NT4/2000 and not necessary for ANY games under Windows XP.

I've only heard of one case of a stable Duke Nukem with sound in Win2K (using Snover's CLI2NOP variant). We need some other Win2K users to do some voluntary testing with it to see if they also get stable results.

Reply 16 of 16, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by blackjackel I patched it and it crashes for me...

I'm guessing that you mean to say that it crashes immediately as opposed to the eventual crash that is almost guaranteed if you use CLI2Nop.

Were you using Snover's custom version of CLI2Nop? I'm on XP, so behavior is different (which means there isn't much I can test for you).