VOGONS

Monkey Island II without VDMS on XP ?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

Somewhere in this forum is stated, that
XP has its own 'soundblaster' emulation.

I am trying to play MI II directly from CD,
however after dsiplaying the message
'Cannot find sound driver....' the game aborts.

What do I have to do to use XP's emulation and
will this solve the problem?

Thanks in advance.
Ralph

Reply 1 of 12, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You don't have to do anything. Understand that it's very basic Soundblaster support. It's nowhere near SoundBlaster Live or anything like that. It's actually quite inferior to VDMSound, so don't expect much.

In any case, it uses an IRQ of 5, the 1st DMA is 1, the second DMA (sometimes not used) is 5.

If MI2 doesn't detect the sound card, does it have the option to set it manually? If so, then use the parameters I mentioned above.

If not, you will probably want to try VDMSound on it.

Reply 2 of 12, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Originally posted by Nicht Sehr Gut You don't have to do anything. Understand that it's very basic Soundblaster support. It's nowhere near SoundBlaster Live or anything like that. It's actually quite inferior to VDMSound, so don't expect much.

It really depends on the game. In my experience, when it works, XPs emulation is every bit as good as VDMSound and a hell of a lot more convenient. When it doesn't (particularly with games that require AdLib emulation which XP lacks for some reason), VDMSound is better. I prefer the "set and forget" nature of XPs emulation and use it ahead of VDMSound wherever possible and using VDMSound everywhere else.

Wasurenaide...
...watashi ga iru koto o.
Itsudatte soba ni iru yo.

Gentoo. Because everything else is just shit. 😁
Registered Linux user #319839

Reply 4 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
LSD wrote:

It really depends on the game. In my experience, when it works, XPs emulation is every bit as good as VDMSound and a hell of a lot more convenient. When it doesn't (particularly with games that require AdLib emulation which XP lacks for some reason), VDMSound is better. I prefer the "set and forget" nature of XPs emulation and use it ahead of VDMSound wherever possible and using VDMSound everywhere else.

Bleh, I use VDMSound first and XP last or not at all since Update 1. Why settle for something less that was hacked in real quick by some MS employee to give users that MS actually gives a flying BEEEPPP....when we have Vlad slaving away over here?

Just the way I see it. 😀

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 12, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In the games where XPs emulation works extremely well using VDMSound doesn't make the slightest bit of difference either better or worse.

Wasurenaide...

Reply 6 of 12, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
LSD wrote:

... doesn't make the slightest bit of difference either better or worse.

How about we settle for "Use what works best for you"? I suggested starting with the XP emulation because it helps with trouble-shooting (XP's emulation is always present, even if using VDMSound).

Reply 8 of 12, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
LSD wrote:

In the games where XPs emulation works extremely well using VDMSound doesn't make the slightest bit of difference either better or worse.

Yeah, but XP is SB-Pro2 emulation only which means mono 8-bit sound @ 44kHz or stereo 8-bit sound at 22kHz; VDMSound does SB16 with stereo 16-bit sound @ 44kHz, heh...

V.

Reply 10 of 12, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by LSD How about "you lot stop making claims that simply aren't true"?

Since it's factually correct that the built-in emulation is inferior to Vlad's, your attempt at humor fails horribly. I was trying to be polite and end the debate, since this thread was supposed to be about fixing "Monkey Island II" in XP and not a "what's best" argument.

That still doesn't make the slightest bit of difference either way in the games I've tested.

Then hooray for you. It makes a big difference for a lot other people.

Reply 11 of 12, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

the built-in emulation is inferior to Vlad's

I'm not going to believe that until I start getting more consistent results in its favour. Right now, wherever XPs works, VDMSound works just as well and where it doesn't VDMSound is usually the same (the only exceptions have been a couple of cases with AdLib which I mentioned earlier.). Until I get overwhelming results in favour of VDMSound it'll always be a fallback from the inbuilt emulation.

Wasurenaide...

Reply 12 of 12, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bah, back when I tested XP's emulation there were quite a few games that did not even detect XP's emulation but worked fine with VDMSound. Sam & Max was one, I think one of the X-Wings also failed miserably, etc. In any case, are you sure you don't want to change your avatar to something else?! I mean, maybe you are missing the entire point of what VDMSound is, in particular (sound emulation for OS's other than WinXP) and in general (free, open-source). I don't know what you are trying to prove, but I'm closing the thread because it is really getting off-topic.

V.