VOGONS

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

Ok, this is going to be pretty long-winded, so please bear with me.

There's this game by Apogee called Boppin' that I like to play on occasion, and it worked fine with my Yamaha DS XG sound card in windows 98.

Then I got my SBLive and the sound ceased to funciton and it caused my computer to crash when it tried to play sound, but the music still worked fine.

Now I have windows XP, and when I try to play it with the soundblaster on it just doesn't play any sound at all, and the music still plays. However, when I use VDMS it crashes like it did with windows 98.

Here's where the stupid part comes in. The Yamaha DS XG now resides in my Mom's computer. Of course, it runs the game fine in XP WITHOUT VDMS, (just to piss me off). Last night I looked at my computer and went "Ok, you can go to hell" and I ripped my SBLive out and swapped it with the Yamaha DS XG. Guess what! It does the SAME DAMN THING as the SBLive. And, to add insult to injury, the SBLive worked fine with that game in my Mom's computer. I also tried my onboard sound card, same stuff. The onboard, of course, is disabled again. Now, I don't know what the HELL could possibly cause this, but I'm going to have a bloody anyeurism if I can't solve this problem soon.

I'm sure I have all my DMA's and IRQ's and whatnot configured correctly, as well.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Reply 1 of 4, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sounds like an OS thing. Some games just won't work in 2K/XP, no matter how hard you try. It really sucks. You might also take into consideration the motherboards, and, like, tells us what they are along with all of the other things asked for here. (Specifically, "The following are things that should be in your help request:," heh)
And register! It'll be fun.

Okay, I'm done.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 2 of 4, by chanza

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, you should definitely register. Then you too can load up an old, well loved adventure game from your glory days on your ibm ps/1, take a screenshot, load the shot in paint, painstakingly cut the character you want out of the scene pixel by pixel, copy and paste into the gimp onto a transparent background, save as a png, try to upload it, find out the board only support's jpeg + gifs, load the png into irfanview, convert to gif then finally upload it.

I bet you're jealous. If someone else had simon the sorceror as their avatar and I didn't, I'd be jealous:)

Also, apply now and you get this nifty vegetable slicer'n'dicer absolutely free!*

* Statement's followed by an asterisk may be untrue

Reply 3 of 4, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When you say "it crashes", what crashes exactly? The game? The operating system? Under Win98 did you experience the exact same crash as under your XP? Have you installed VDMSound on your mom's XP to check if the game works with VDMSound there as well? Do you recall making any other hardware modifications (e.g. add a RAID controller) around the same time that you switched the Yamaha fro the SB-Live in your computer?

V.

Reply 4 of 4, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd just like to point out that this old topic is still relevant. I dug out Boppin' yesterday and tried it. Works fine under XP normally (except music problems, obviously scratchy digital audio and slightly wonky MIDI) but crashes in VDM Sound (well, just pauses) when a piece of Sound Blaster digital audio is supposed to play. Which is very sad 🙁

Hopefully someone can help, and doesn't mind me reviving this ancient thread. Thanks guys/gals.

- Spike