VOGONS

Legacy gaming!

Topic actions

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

VDMSound is awesome, but if you truly want to play these classic games, I recommend hitting Ebay, garage sales, or friends/family basements to find legacy hardware to play them on. It's really the only way to truly recapture the proper environment, let alone the feeling. The games were made for these machines, after all. No slowdown problems, incompatibilities, hours of trying different configurations to no avail (although sometimes, that's the fun of it!)

Please don't misunderstand, VDMSound is awesome, ditto for DosBox ... I totally support your efforts as eventually my hardware will die and I'll be stuck with a bunch of unplayable games, if not for you! But for now, I run VDMSound on my AMD 1900 XP machine for well-behaved games, or just for the fun of it, and do my serious legacy playing on one of the following:

1. Tandy 1000 TX ... 4.77mHz, 720K floppy drive, 768K memory
Tandy 16 color, Tandy 3-voice sound

I use WinImage to image 720K floppies ... the 20 MB harddrive
died shortly after I rescued this beauty. 😀 Very good for the
oldest of games, those that were either CGA or Tandy 16 (Arcticfox)... and weird classics such as Round 42 and Sentinel Worlds 1: Future Magic.

2. Compaq LTE 5280 Laptop P-120 with docking station, etc.
64 MB RAM, 2 MB Trident VGA, ESS 1688 Sound (fully SB compatible)

The Compaq LTE laptops are the finest DOS-compatible, Win95 machines made. There are always some going on Ebay for fairly decent prices, I suggest any DOS-game fanatic purchase one. I run damn near any DOS game on this baby ... Master of Orion, Master of Magic, Death Rally, Prince of Persia 2, Wing Commander: Privateer to name a few... I just slapped the 64MB memory upgrade in it to improve its Windows performance for web-surfing, etc. Very versatile little laptop. I recommend it highly.

3. Custom Intel P2-400, Voodoo 3 3000, Soundblaster Live!

This sweetheart runs all my later era Win98 games and peripherals. It even runs many older games, as well as newer games (Ok, Warcraft 3 doesn't run THAT well on it.) Also good for "3Dfx-only" versions of games ... which I have WAY too many of ... also my Emulation station, SNES, NES, N64, Intellivision, you name it.

To top it off, I've got another P2-366 sitting around doing nothing, a P2-350 running NT 4.0 for storage space/FTP server/Tradewars server, and my friend has left his "spare" P3-800 since the last LAN party. My electrical bills are through the roof. Worth it though 😀

Yeah, I'm a total computer geek. Stipulated! I work on them all day long and then come home and play with them all night. I need to get out more. 😀

I'm interested to hear what other legacy stuff everyone is running ... please don't take this as a slam against VDMSound (a geek I am, a programmer I'm not, and wow, what an awesome proggie!) but more of a post of curiousity.

That and I want everyone to know about the Compaq LTE laptops ... they are AWESOME legacy machines! 😀

Cheers!

Reply 1 of 7, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Unregistered wrote:

VDMSound is awesome, but if you truly want to play these classic games, I recommend hitting Ebay, garage sales, or friends/family basements to find legacy hardware to play them on. It's really the only way to truly recapture the proper environment, let alone the feeling. The games were made for these machines, after all. No slowdown problems, incompatibilities, hours of trying different configurations to no avail (although sometimes, that's the fun of it!)

Okay, this post is really off-topic for this forum. This would go better in "Milliways" or possibly "The Guide - DOS" or something. I will cut you some slack since you're a first-time poster and all, and the other thing is that both those forums require registration. I know we have a bunch of lurkers here (we just breached 300 registered members WOOHOO!) but if you feel the need to make an off-topic post for the "VDMSound - General" forum, please register and post in the appropriate forum. If you bother to register, I'll move the thread to "Milliways." Until then, I'll keep it here ("Stiletto - the more caring of the moderators..." 😀 )

3. Custom Intel P2-400, Voodoo 3 3000, Soundblaster Live!
This sweetheart runs all my later era Win98 games and peripherals. It even runs many older games, as well as newer games (Ok, Warcraft 3 doesn't run THAT well on it.) Also good for "3Dfx-only" versions of games ... which I have WAY too many of ... also my Emulation station, SNES, NES, N64, Intellivision, you name it.

It sounds very much like my machine, although a bit faster. Unfortunately, my machine is my ONLY machine. 😀
Here's my specs:
showthread.php?threadid=673

If you do have a heck of a lot of 3dfx-only games, we recommend you try out OpenGlide and GliDOS. Both support forums are located here at VOGONS. OpenGlide is, obviously, a Glide wrapper - and GliDOS is the first-ever Glide wrapper for DOS Glide games. Go read messages in the forum, especially if you have a system faster than 3. that you can do game testing on.

I'm interested to hear what other legacy stuff everyone is running ... please don't take this as a slam against VDMSound (a geek I am, a programmer I'm not, and wow, what an awesome proggie!) but more of a post of curiousity.

I'm not taking it the wrong way. It's just off-topic. 😜

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 2 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

....and that fact that using an old machine (or OS) is highly recommended already by pretty much everyone one the forums..... 😀

It's not like it some revelation or some such (it's on the box for crying out loud!) to run the games on the platform they were created for. 😉

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 7, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Who wants Compaq P133 desktops with 10-base-T ethernet cards and no sound? I've got three of 'em.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 4 of 7, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Keep them, they make good backups for the Vogons. 😉 Or make a load-balancing system with them... wow, redundant Vogons! 😜

V.

Snover wrote:

Who wants Compaq P133 desktops with 10-base-T ethernet cards and no sound? I've got three of 'em.

Reply 6 of 7, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

But can we make a Beowulf cluster out of VOGONS? 😁

Reply 7 of 7, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

-1 I Have No Sense Of Humour