VDMSound + Albion = doesn't work

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 84, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
[vEX] wrote:

I'll even upload it so you can check it out since it is used to map ports, perhaps it can even be used to map the ports of the soundcard ?

As you've already found out (the hard way), mapping the ports is not enough. There is the entire business of IRQs and DMA that has to be taken care of, and that's impossible to do with aprogram like USERPORT.SYS or GIVEIO.SYS.

Thanks for the file. Sno, if you feel courageous you can write a small app that:

1) enumerates all the services in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services
2) For every service obtains the filename by reading the ImagePath subkey (e.g. HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\GIVEIO\ImagePath )
3) For every valid file-name open the file as read-only and look for one of the following three strings (as either UNICODE or ANSI strings, since different drivers/services can be built either UNICODE or ANSI):

Ke386IoSetAccessProcess
Ke386SetIoAccessMap
SetTSSLimit

You will find, BTW, that videoprt.sys (by MS) has the two top functions; that's becauuse Windows uses that to open up the video range of I/O ports to DOS apps when they go full-screen (if I'm not mistaken).

4) Report the suspect SYS files to the unweary user.

Cheers,
V.

Reply 81 of 84, by [vEX]

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

So Albion detects the card and runs now?

YES !! 😁
I just turn that program off before I want to play Albion and start it after I'm done.
Finally I can enjoy Albion once again 😁

vladr: You're welcome, I just thought I should post it incase someone else uses it and has the same problem as I had, or incase you could have some use of it.

And again, thanks alot !!
You guys rock !

Antec P182B | Asus P8Z77-V PRO | Intel i5 3570k | 16GB DDR3 | 4TB HDD | Pioneer BDR-207D | Asus Xonar DX | Altec Lansing CS21 | Eizo EV2736W-BK | Arch Linux (64-bit/x86_64)

Reply 82 of 84, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vladr wrote:
Sno, if you feel courageous you can write a small app that: […]
Show full quote

Sno, if you feel courageous you can write a small app that:

1) enumerates all the services in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services
2) For every service obtains the filename by reading the ImagePath subkey (e.g. HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\GIVEIO\ImagePath )
3) For every valid file-name open the file as read-only and look for one of the following three strings (as either UNICODE or ANSI strings, since different drivers/services can be built either UNICODE or ANSI):

Ke386IoSetAccessProcess
Ke386SetIoAccessMap
SetTSSLimit

Wow - great idea. This could be added to the VDMSound launch or installation, no?

You will find, BTW, that videoprt.sys (by MS) has the two top functions; that's becauuse Windows uses that to open up the video range of I/O ports to DOS apps when they go full-screen (if I'm not mistaken).

Hm - can we take advantage of this, I wonder... Any ideas in the planning stage, Vlad? 😀

[vEX] wrote:

Finally I can enjoy Albion once again 😁

*cheers*

Okay, folks, remember to add this to our repertoire of solutions... 😀

Reply 83 of 84, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by [vEX] Finally I can enjoy Albion once again 😁

And there was much rejoicing. Yea.

Reply 84 of 84, by [vEX]

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

And there was much rejoicing. Yea.

Hehe, *waves a flag and then eats the bards*

Antec P182B | Asus P8Z77-V PRO | Intel i5 3570k | 16GB DDR3 | 4TB HDD | Pioneer BDR-207D | Asus Xonar DX | Altec Lansing CS21 | Eizo EV2736W-BK | Arch Linux (64-bit/x86_64)