VOGONS

Couldn't find CD-ROM!!

Topic actions

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

I think that the solution to this is mentioned in the readme, but I'm too inept to figure out what it means. Could someone help me out with this?

By the way, the game I'm trying to play is Castles II: Siege and Conquest. When I try to run it without using your program, the error message:

C:\WINNT\System32\cmd.exe
The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
CS:d267 IP:0000 OP: ff ff ff ff 40
Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

...pops up. Both choosing 'Ignore' and 'Close' close the application. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

-Jeff

Reply 1 of 29, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered I think that the solution to this is mentioned in the readme, but I'm too inept to figure out what it means.

Are you using the GUI LaunchPad? Do you have the CD-ROM in the proper CD drive?

If so, try right-clicking on the shortcut created by running it with launchpad. Click "Properties", and click in the box by "Enable Low-Level CD-ROM support".

Reply 2 of 29, by Unregistered

User metadata
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Are you using the GUI LaunchPad?

If so, try right-clicking on the shortcut created by running it with launchpad. Click "Properties", and click in the box by "Enable Low-Level CD-ROM support".

I am unfamiliar with what you are talking about. Could you please explain? I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be right-clicking on. There were a bunch of tabs under properties of "VDSMRun", but I didn't see anything like "Enable Low-Level CD-ROM support".

Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Do you have the CD-ROM in the proper CD drive?

Yep.

EDIT -- For some reason, I think the problem may have something to do with autoexec.vdms . I can open it and read it with notepad, and it mentions the CD-ROM, but am I supposed to see it like that? Might be a clue.

Reply 3 of 29, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered I am unfamiliar with what you are talking about. Could you please explain?

*sigh*
http://ntvdm.cjb.net/

Look under "Download" for the Launchpad. Vlad refers to it as a Beta, but it's rock-stable.

While you are at it, go ahead and get the Update files first from
http://vdmsound.sourceforge.net/files/
(Has "update" in the filename). No install script, just copy it on top of your older VDMSound files.

Whenever you run a DOS executable with VDMSound it creates a .VLP shortcut in the same directory. That is what I was referring to, the VLP shortcut.

For some reason, I think the problem may have something to do with autoexec.vdms .

If you want to do it the hard way, yes.

Reply 4 of 29, by Unregistered

User metadata
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

*sigh*

Sorry.

Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:
Look under "Download" for the Launchpad. Vlad refers to it as a Beta, but it's rock-stable. […]
Show full quote

Look under "Download" for the Launchpad. Vlad refers to it as a Beta, but it's rock-stable.

While you are at it, go ahead and get the Update files first from
http://vdmsound.sourceforge.net/files/
(Has "update" in the filename). No install script, just copy it on top of your older VDMSound files.

Did these. I really have no idea what this stuff does, but if it helps, sure.

Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Whenever you run a DOS executable with VDMSound it creates a .VLP shortcut in the same directory. That is what I was referring to, the VLP shortcut.

Ah, now it doesn't give me the no CD message. The bad news is, other errors pop up. Here are what they say:

VDMS Launchpad - C2CD (Filename)
CS:df2c IP: 0000 OP: ff ff ff ff 40

When I click 'Ignore'...

VDMS Launchpad - C2CD
CS:df2c IP: 0001 OP: ff ff ff ff 40 c8

Clicked 'Ignore' again...

VDMS Launchpad - C2CD
CS:df2c IP: 0002 OP: ff ff 40 c8 00

And again...

VDMS Launchpad - C2CD
CS:df2c IP: 0268 OP: 63 0e c7 00 00

Again...

VDMS Launchpad - C2CD
CS:0000 IP:c79a OP: fe 1f 00 00

And a few more.

Any ideas?

EDIT - When I clicked the "Enable basic Vesa support" where the No-CD thing was fixed, and then tried, a window got maximized where it looked like the game was going to work. Does that make sense? Unfortunately, the error messages popped up a moment later.

Reply 5 of 29, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't have the game or a fix for your problem and looking at your error:

CS:0000 IP:c79a OP: fe 1f 00 00

It look's like you will not be able to find a fix. What your seeing there is your game trying to do something that NTVDM does not like. (To put it very simply. 😉 ).

Your only fix for this is running the game under the operating system it was designed for either on a real PC or by using emulation. I recommend Connectix Virtual PC http://www.connectix.com

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 29, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by DosFreak It look's like you will not be able to find a fix.

Perhaps, perhaps not. I can't find my CD, so I can't properly test it. I did find a DOS demo for it and it seems to run fine (in silence). Seems to start up in DosBox, but then it can't find the CD. Don't know if it needs MSCDEX or just the data.

Will get back to this when I can find the CD.

Reply 7 of 29, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, I found my CD. Unfortunately, it needs MSCDEX to access the CD and DosBox doesn't support that yet. A "ripped" version might work.

You might consider emulating another system and running their version of "Castles II" (Amiga/CD32 or Macintosh).

Reply 9 of 29, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover You can't mount a CD as a drive in DOSBox?

Sure you can mount it as a hard drive. So if the game goes to look for data on H: (my CD-ROM), all is well. However, many (I think the majority actually) must access the data from the CD-ROM with MSCDEX or similar tool. DoesBox does not support that yet. It appears that they are planning to use SAPUCDEX when it's viable.

Reply 11 of 29, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover Why is SAPUCDEX not viable?

Well that's not the exact word used and ...of course... I can't find the original message now. I think they were saying "when it's ready". Thinking about it now...could've meant when DosBox was able to handle the code...

Need to ask Harekiet...

Reply 15 of 29, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Zorbid is very experienced with dosbox.....

but maybe he used a non-cd patch or so.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 16 of 29, by Carch

User metadata

It doesn't have any CD-based copy protection or anything... it's likely something to do with the audio or sound. I was able to get it to recognize the CD finally with Dosbox, and to launch it with VDMSound, but it quits right after startup with an illegal instruction in VDMSound and no message at all in Dosbox.

I'd love to play the game. I bought the CD set from Interplay not knowing it wouldn't work with XP. I don't really want to spring for VPC to play it.

Reply 18 of 29, by Guest

User metadata

So, is there a solution to the 'Couldn't find CD-ROM' problem for Castles II: Siege and Conquest?

From the previous posts, I'm not the only one, owning C2, that is C2CD (the CD-ROM version), and not being able to run it. Dosbox works fine on everything I've tried (dosbox 0.60 cannot run 'Defender of the Crown' in ega mode, but version 0.58 can), but I cannot get C2 working.

Whatever I try, it keeps saying: 'cannot locate CD-ROM drive'. I even tried to install the game from the CD-ROM in a dosbox (quiet funny, because I could regulate the installation speed, 😉), and still it couldn't find the cd upon running the game. Oh yes, it is a working cd. It works in windows.... but then crashes because it's no dos!

Maybe the solution can be found in knowing where the program tries to find the cd-rom (always x:\data or something). I'm no hero with MSCDEX.

By the way, I know how to use the dosbox commands, like:
dosbox d:\castles2\c2cd.bat -c "mount e e:\ -t cdrom [-ioctl] -usecd 0" etc. And I also know the way a cd is placed into the CD-ROM drive!

Thanks in advance.