VOGONS

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

Ok, simple question.

I'm running Tie Fighter with VDMSound
What soundcard should i set Tie Fighter's imuse settings program to use. I just cant make sense of the setup.

-rack

Reply 1 of 5, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It should be able to autodetect usable settings, but here's what I'd recommend:

Digitized sound: Sound Blaster 16
MIDI music: General MIDI

I don't have the DOS version of Tie Fighter myself... I think I have the floppy and CD versions of X-Wing (and some other LucasArts games like Dark Forces) though if you want me to try looking at the settings in those.

Reply 3 of 5, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered All the music seems to be "slower". Any thought on this?

Not familiar with the the Tie Fighter's setup program, does it allow you to choose from more than FM music source? In other words does it just have FM/AdLib/SoundBlaster or does it have other options like OPL2 and OPL3?

If you choose SoundBlaster16 for digital audio, many sound setup programs will choose OPL3 for the FM/AdLib music. OPL3 emulation doesn't work properly, so always choose OPL2-type for FM/AdLib if possible (this is what the SoundBlaster Pro used).

Otherwise, I'm not sure how much you can do. You might try tinkering with the Polling settings. On your .VLP shortcut, get it's Properties, click Advanced, click on the performance tab for polling settings...

BTW, try MIDI with manual settings instead of letting it auto-detect. For MIDI, that would be IRQ 2, port address of 330. Choose "General MIDI" if possible, or Roland if that's not an option.

Reply 4 of 5, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some of the LucasArts games have an Advanced option in the iMUSE sound configuration utility that let you choose the music and sound hardware separately, as well as setting the ports et al manually.

Reply 5 of 5, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can always manually edit the INI files since they usually always have both MIDI and sampled audio settings in them even if they are hidden in the setup program. (However, the sound configuration file may be binary and as such you might be unable to edit it manually.)

Yes, it’s my fault.