VOGONS

How to make KQ5's audio to work

Topic actions

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

As far as I know, everyone has been dealing with issues of not hearing the voices in KQ5's CD-ROM version.... well, after installing the gosierra patch just go to the MIDI section and instead of using VDM's default MAP file, look into your KQ5 directory and you'll find a file called AUDIO001.MAP, use this instead and run the game with the laucher.... PRESTO

Reply 1 of 41, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered you'll find a file called AUDIO001.MAP, use this instead and run the game with the laucher.... PRESTO

Hrmm. First I've heard of this. I wonder if the other (later) Sierra titles have this issue?

Reply 2 of 41, by Unregistered

User metadata

I just tried it with Gabriel Knight 1 CD / DOS VErsion and same thing.... on this game the file is called ALT.MAP I was able to get audio on the game (speech).... funny part is that when you run the game (from laucher) you get an error with a Continue Yes or No? question.... if you click on YES (so you can continue) the game crashes.... if you click NO (To stop) the game runs perfectly with speech.... I'm browsing through ALL SIerra CD games.....

What exactly are those MAP files anyway??

Reply 3 of 41, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just because it's called .MAP doesn't mean it's the right kind of .MAP (i.e. just because it flies...) 😀

You very likely need to apply Update 1 and use the fixPOPF flag (search forum for fixPOPF) for GK to work under XP with VDMSound.

V.

Reply 4 of 41, by Y2J

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
vladr wrote:

Just because it's called .MAP doesn't mean it's the right kind of .MAP (i.e. just because it flies...) 😀

You very likely need to apply Update 1 and use the fixPOPF flag (search forum for fixPOPF) for GK to work under XP with VDMSound.

V.

I already have Update 1.... and the game DOES work with the ALT.MAP file on XP. It's the only way I've been able to get speech sounds on GK1 & KQ5 CD versions.......

Reply 6 of 41, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Y2J wrote:

I already have Update 1.... and the game DOES work with the ALT.MAP file on XP. It's the only way I've been able to get speech sounds on GK1 & KQ5 CD versions.......

Attach ALT.MAP please.

V.

Reply 7 of 41, by Y2J

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Snover wrote:

Ah, but have you enabled fixPOPF?

Nope..... Just the original game....

The MAP file can be found on your GK or KQ5 directory

The ALT.MAP is for GK1-CD-DOS
The AUDIO001.MAP for KQ5-CD-DOS

Reply 10 of 41, by Unregistered

User metadata

Hi

Got KQ5 Speech working using GoSierraV2 and got KQ5 running without VDMS but it only works using the Roland music setting which sounds really crap (is there anyway to get better sound or get it to work with Soundblaster music setting?) If I use VDMS the sound works but no speech!!

Anyway the main problem is that when Graham lands the boat on the beach and the harpies come down and take him away when they leave the screen the game locks up!!

Any ideas???

Thanx in advance

Chris

My email is CJM1999@yahoo.com (if for any reason you need it)

Reply 12 of 41, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Check and see if the Windows version is available on your disks or CD. It will be a SETUP.EXE with a "shield" icon instead of the usual INSTALL.BAT. Running the Windows version with all compatibility mode options turned on should work.

Reply 15 of 41, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered Yea that works but A: I hate the windows smaller icons

Depending on how "finicky" the DOS version is, the Windows version may be your way out of trouble.

B: The windows version only uses crappy windows midi dont it?

If you have Win2K or XP, you choose
"Microsoft GS WaveTable" as your default device for MIDI playback and it should sound quite nice.

I would really prefer to have music set to soundblaster and have it work.

That may or may not be a viable option. DosBox seems to be within the technical realm of running it, but I doubt it will work with the CD version.

If it's locking up at a certain portion of the game, unless it's VDMSound related, no change of setting will fix that (to test: change your audio settings to "no sound" or "PC speaker" then restore your game to that position where it locks up. Does it still lock up?)

If all else fails you could emulate the freely-available KQ5 for the Amiga (Having said that, the graphics people at Sierra did a mediocre job of converting the VGA game's palette to the Amiga 32-color display).

Reply 16 of 41, by Unregistered

User metadata

Hi thanks for the reply, I will try setting it to GSM Wave table thingy, How do I set that? I have a Sound Blaster Live! is it a sound font? My girlfriend who is currently playing it with the aforementiond problems how will she set this??

I have an idea about the lock up I can set the music to speaker but there is no option to disable the speech but what im going to try is install the game on my PC load the save game hopefully get past the point of lock up then save it and restore on her computer.

But thanks a lot for the music info!

Chris

Reply 17 of 41, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered Hi thanks for the reply, I will try setting it to GSM Wave table thingy, How do I set that? I have a Sound Blaster Live! is it a sound font?

No, it's not a soundfont. How you set it depends on what OS you are running. You still haven't said what OS you are running.

For XP, you go to your Control Panel, (using "Classic View"), choose "Sounds and Audio Devices", click on the "Audio" tab, go to "MIDI Music playback" and choose the Microsoft GS Wavetable.

Reply 18 of 41, by Unregistered

User metadata

Thanks very much for the quick reply!!

Both my girlfriend and I have WinXP Pro

I have SB Live!

and she has onboard sound from her MoBo

But I will try this when I get in! (At work now finish at 8pm UK time)

And as I said before i'll try the save game thing on my PC and see if it works.

Thanks again

Chris

Reply 19 of 41, by Unregistered

User metadata

Just a quick question

This set the midi to GM Wavetable that wont work for Dos will it? As I think I am right in thinking that Win and Dos save games are not compatible!!!

Could you explain the procedure to make the roland setting sound nice using VDMsound, plus is it possible to make the sounds nice without using VDmsound??

Thanks again

Chris