VOGONS

First post, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just wanted to report that I got Impulse Tracker working fine under WinXP+VDMSound+update1+launchpad. The *only* problem I noticed was that the sound was noticably delayed behind the pattern display when playing a song. I was able to reduce this lag a bit by reducing the DMA polling period (reducing the buffer length didn't seem to have as much of an effect)

Oh, I also had to hit alt+enter to go full-screen because it tweaks the text-mode characters to make a pseudo-graphical interface.

Insufficient memory errors can be avoided by increasing EMS.

-----------
UPDATE: (posted as an EDIT instead of a new post just for Snover! :p )

I walked someone else (with a faster computer) through setting up IT to run with Win2k+VDMSound+update1+LaunchPad, and it works for her too. I redid my configuration in the process of walking her through it and found out that having IT start full-screen (via the vesa option) causes the music to be choppy, but starting it in a window and then hitting alt+enter to go full-screen results in smooth sound. Weird huh?

Also, I tried reducing lag by using the Wave Mapper instead of DirectSound for SB emulation (and it seems to help), but when I quit IT, it freezes with a blank screen and a text-mode mouse cursor, so I have to flip back to Windows and kill it. Not sure what's going on there.

Last edited by HunterZ on 2003-02-23, 20:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 13, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, so much for editing just for me. 😉
There are two IT threads. I just read the other one but I can't remember if they are related or not. Just goes to show you what years of CRT radiation do to your brain.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 4 of 13, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by HunterZ ... read mine and decided to make his own instead of replying for some reason. You could merge them if you like.

Actually these seem to be different problems with the same program. Yours' seems to be lag, his seems to be almost completely inoperable due to an EMS memory issue.

Reply 5 of 13, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Because he can't get LaunchPad working for some reason 😕

As I mentioned in his thread, I managed to conquer the lag pretty well by using the Wave Mapper instead of DirectSound (and setting the buffering to around 20ms and lowering the DMA polling to about 2-10ms).

There are some problems though: starting it in a window and then going full-screen prevents the graphics from appearing (e.g. sample waveforms, impulse tracker logo), whereas starting in full-screen results in the graphics being displayed properly.

Unfortunately it also results in the sound suttering (NOT to be confused with the lag issue!). I believe the stuttering is some kind of WinXP idle detection issue, as it goes away as long as I hold down the CTRL key. For now I'd rather sacrifice the graphics, but hopefully someone else can offer some insights.

Reply 7 of 13, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's another funny thing: when I start in full-screen, it doesnt go into a window when I hit alt+enter - it minimizes instead. I don't understand why the sound is choppy when starting full-screen - it's almost like it uses a different idle sensitivity setting. I also tried increasing the priority of the ntvdm process, but it actually makes things worse for some reason.

Reply 8 of 13, by Ginger

User metadata
HunterZ wrote:

There are some problems though: starting it in a window and then going full-screen prevents the graphics from appearing (e.g. sample waveforms, impulse tracker logo), whereas starting in full-screen results in the graphics being displayed properly.

I've fooled around alot with VDMS and IT and I got the best results with Basic Vesa support disabled [it seems to crackle the sound and slow down the system in my case] when I disable it everything is smooth.
But disabeling the Basic Vesa support results in your problem. the logo is gone and the wave shapes and envelopes are gone.
You can correct this problem by adding, "v1" (Override VGA detection routine) to the command line of IT (or argument line in VDMS startup icon)
e.g. "IT.exe /sitsb16.mmx v1"
For me it workes with XP and Win2000

Good luck
A happy Itter

Reply 9 of 13, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks Ginger! I'll try that as soon as I get home. Sounds like it might be exactly the solution I was looking for!

I've got some questions, but I can answer them myself when I test it:
- will that option make the graphics appear when in windowed mode, or
- will I have to go full-screen to make them appear? (I suppose I'd want to anyways), or
- maybe overriding the detection causes it to go full-screen automatically?

I'm glad you got the crackling same as I did because I thought maybe I was just going nuts. That's two vindications in one day now that Nicht reported choppy sound in Hyperspeed 😁

Reply 10 of 13, by Ginger

User metadata
HunterZ wrote:
I've got some questions, but I can answer them myself when I test it: - will that option make the graphics appear when in window […]
Show full quote

I've got some questions, but I can answer them myself when I test it:
- will that option make the graphics appear when in windowed mode, or
- will I have to go full-screen to make them appear? (I suppose I'd want to anyways), or
- maybe overriding the detection causes it to go full-screen automatically?

Due to the fact that Basic Vesa is disabled the program will start windowed. So an alt-enter is needed everytime you start IT, i'm not happy with that, but what the heck... if it fixes the sound i'm happy enough 😉
When IT is in windowed mode all the vesa stuff (e.g. the logo) is garbled, but when you go to fullscreen everything is fine.
"v1" is just a IT command so it doesn't affect a XP or 2000 window.

Reply 11 of 13, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You're right! It works great, thanks!

I did notice that it froze a couple of times after playing a song for a while, but maybe that's because I have the DMA and buffer sizes set low and am using a Wave device instead of DirectSound (for low latency)