VOGONS

First post, by Dracas

User metadata

I notice someone else posted on here that they got Impulse Tracker (2.14?) to work correctly with VDM Sound and thought someone might have some advice because when I try using windows NTVDM I have plenty of memory to work with in Impulse Tracker, but when I use VDMSound to emulate the soundblaster environment, theres barely enough memory to load maybe one or two samples. I've cranked the memory up as much as I can in the IT programs memory tab (Conventional memory can't be changed apparently, it automatically goes back to 'auto')

Here's what IT reports when it loads up

Freemem: 51k
FreeEMS: 0k

That 'FreeEMS' note should have a big old 16083-ish next to it but for some reason WinXP or VDMsound or *something* is ignoring the memory settings.

Here's what the Memory tab looks like in Impulse Trackers Preferences PIF:

+ Conventional Memory
- Total (Auto) *Protected on
- Initial Environment (4096)
+ Expanded (EMS) Memory
- Total (16384)
+ Extended (XMS) Memory
- Total (16384) *Use HMA off (turning it on doesn't help)
+ MSDOS Protected-Mode (DPMI) Memory
- Total (16384)

There you have it...not having any luck clearing up the memory issues, almost seems like the EMS memory isn't loading at all, or WinXP is ignoring it. But since I didn't know where else on the net I could go for help using VDMSound (since IT and VDMSound are almost universally linked at this point since its the only way to use it on WinXP/2K) I'd appreciate some help

Thanks a bunch
~Drac

Reply 1 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's entirely possible that your motherboard won't let you have any EMS memory:

showthread.php?s=&threadid=162

Hopefully not, but you'd need to check your motherboard specs to be sure. Which motherboard do you have?

I'll check to see if there isn't a boot disk that could test for this and get back with you.

Reply 4 of 8, by Dracas

User metadata

Motherboard:

Epox EP-8KHA (orig.) KT266 AC'97

Just for reference, I've only ever gotten Impulse Tracker and VDMSound to work right and cooperate on this particular system, and that was the first time I ever tried to install it, its been nothing but problems since.

This is a clean install of Windows, so there shouldn't be any giveIO's or mem mongers in use. Not using Launchpad because it does NOT work on my system, never has

VDMS latest version

To Snover: IT3 was cancelled a long time ago. The people who bought the rights to the code and software from Jeff Lim blackshelfed the project and Impulse Tracker Abruptly died, their making a new/different program based around some code snippits from IT3 - I think the companies called DSP Audio.

Modplug Tracker sucks dog bawls and if I have to go back to using a Win98 System with a Soundblaster 16, then I guess I will, I have a spare system anyhow.

I just didn't want to have to port it over to this system to do final edits and effects on music

Reply 5 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Dracas Epox EP-8KHA (orig.) KT266 AC'97

Hrmm. Can't find much, but I did come across this:
http://www.motherboards.org/biosup/p/EP-8KHA/4197.html
...which mentions an EMS problem with RAID. Are you using RAID?
Also do you have any other titles that need EMS and do they work?

Not using Launchpad because it does NOT work on my system, never has...

Hrmm. That doesn't make much sense either...

IT3 was cancelled a long time ago.

Odd, as the people at http://www.unreal64.net/it3/ made no mention of cancellation and their last news update was only a week ago.

Modplug Tracker sucks...

Don't mince words, tell us what you really think. *heh*

... if I have to go back to using a Win98 System with a Soundblaster 16, then I guess I will,...

A Dual-Boot should also be considered.

Still don't have that disk, might need to just create one myself.

Reply 6 of 8, by Dracasethaen

User metadata

I'm an IT tech, solving Microsofts blunders is what I do, so I decided to try and get nitty gritty...

so, lets play the debug game.

Start - Run...

Type "Command" and hit enter

Type "Debug" and hit enter , at the debug prompt type"xa"

"EMS not installed"

oh goodie goodie gumdrops.

Himem is worthless, it only handles XMS. Impulse tracker doesn't look for that it looks for conventional memory and EMS.

So on to EMM386.exe to see if that'd fix it...hmm...nope, when you install it either in config.nt or config.sys/config.vdms

you get:

"EMM386.exe not installed. Protected mode driver already in use"

Joy.

Moving along I found a few emulation programs that use a file on the C: drive to emulate EMS...can we say slow? But it should work. Still working on it, this is where you get nitty gritty. You can use ARSofts RamDisk (for NT5) to create a 16MB Ramdisk, then use the EMS emulation programs on the net to look at that and use it as EMS. Boom, instant specifiable EMS memory in actual high speed ram...problem is, its a flogging hassle, but leave it to me to go looking for complex fixes.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Reply 7 of 8, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe if you could try to explain in detail to us what happens when you try to get LauchPad to work... It REALLY helps to have LaunchPad installed because it makes it easy to tweak EMS and also sound buffering/polling options. I tweaked it some more yesterday and managed to get smooth, low-latency sound output from IT using the Wave mapper device instead of DirectSound.

MPT does suck. I've been using it for the OHCs I did over the weekend though, so I'll probably get used to it eventually. I tried Renoise and trashed it when I found out it doesn't save standard formats (I want to learn tracking by doing OHCs :p ), and MadTracker is shoddy. MPT just has a bad interface IMO.

[EDIT] If you look in your config.nt you'll see this:
REM EMM
REM You can use EMM command line to configure EMM(Expanded Memory Manager).
REM The syntax is:
REM
REM EMM = [A=AltRegSets] [RAM]

Reply 8 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok made a MEMMAKER floppy, it's self-extracting so you can just stick a floppy in the drive the run the executable.

Once done, boot off the floppy (make sure the BIOS has that as a boot device before your hard drive). Type MEMMAKER, return, use the Express option, for EMS memory change the No to a Yes, press Enter when needed, ignore the messages telling you to remove any floppy disks.

Once done, type
MEM
to see if it setup EMS memory for you. If so, you may have an OS/IT/VDMSound issue. If not, you're probably hosed, as there isn't enough to create the upper memory block needed for EMS.

Attachments

• Filename
    win95b-ems.exe
    File size
    909.1 KiB
    Downloads
    522 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception