VOGONS

First post, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have tried futily to get this game running in DOSBOX so I tried VDMSound. It works great with one MAJOR problem. The mouse cursor itself moves so slow that the game becomes virtually unplayable, yet everything else runs great. Is there a way to fix this problem?

Reply 1 of 9, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Another bug in VDMS. Aside from a slow mouse I noticed that the game crashes whenever starting a new game. However, if you load an old game, even one that just started without having played a turn, it works fine! Seems a strange bug.

Reply 4 of 9, by dvwjr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The way to fix the NTVDM would be to add support for Int 33h/AX=0007h and Int 33h/AX=0008h for WinXP/2K/NT and also Int33h/AX=000Fh for Win2K/NT. How to do so?

Either patch the NTVDM integral mouse handler or write your own VDD/Tsr to replace the default NTVDM mouse handler.

dvwjr

Reply 6 of 9, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes. MOUSE2KV.EXE combined with NOLFB.EXE works. If you put these in the Conquest directory and change your bat file as follows it should work fine:

set DOS4GVM=MAXMEM#16000000
C:\CONQUEST\nolfb.exe
C:\CONQUEST\MOUSE2KV.EXE 640 480 8 8
C:\CONQUEST\dos4gw.exe cnwmain.exe

The only problem now is a bug which makes VDMS crash when starting a new game, but if you load an old game it works fine.

Reply 9 of 9, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm almost there ... but ...

I found an old help file which said that you should turn off "disk cache" or it might cause crashes. I could not find out how to do this, to test the theory. Can someone tell me how to turn off disk caching? What exactly does it do?

I know it is not related to VDMS, but if we solve this we might finally have a way of playing this old classic which has befuddled so many.