VOGONS

Can't install

Topic actions

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

Hi

I just downloaded VDMSound but the installation process always terminates. Is there another installation routine available?

greets
ohrensessel

Reply 2 of 9, by Unregistered

User metadata

Ok, you are right, there is indeed not much information about my system: I use Windows 2000 SP3 with DirectX 9. The installation process starts normal, asks me about the folder for the program files and then should start copying. But the program just says that the installation failed and i should try again, but that doesn't work.

greets
Ohrensessel

Reply 3 of 9, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You possibly have permission problems on the temporary folder needed by M$ Installer, or the folder is missing.

The folder in question is:
C:\Documents and Settings\administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\Installer

Another possibility would be permission problems in the registry, on the M$ Installer keys. Those would be under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

Cheers,
V.

Unregistered wrote:

Ok, you are right, there is indeed not much information about my system: I use Windows 2000 SP3 with DirectX 9. The installation process starts normal, asks me about the folder for the program files and then should start copying. But the program just says that the installation failed and i should try again, but that doesn't work.

greets
Ohrensessel

Reply 4 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered I use Windows 2000 SP3 with DirectX 9.

*ugh* I remember something about 2000 with SP3 messing with installers... Anyone with Win2000 know more about this?

Reply 7 of 9, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Unregistered wrote:

I've got the same problem. The folder HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer is competely missing, could that be the problem?

That's not a folder, it's a registry key. Run "regedit" for that, don't mess anything up while in regedit though!!!

So you have to check for one folder and two registry keys.

V.