VOGONS

Problkems with Wing Commander 2 and Kings Quest 3

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 20 of 35, by Unregistered

User metadata

Aha! Captain Dos Freak can you puleease help me with the steps listed here:

http://www.wcnews.com/webmirrors/tech/gamefaq/wc2.html#boot

At the bottom in the "General" section. They address my problem to a tee 😀

Only thing is, as you can see I'm not too computer savvy. For the first step, I don't know how to check my sound cards IRQ # or how to change that in dos-box if needed. For the second step, iI don't know if it even applies to me since I'm not exactly using a boot disk. But if it does apply to me, I don't know how to check the CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT to ensure that all necessary device driver and initialization program lines are present.

<3
Appreciate your help greatly buddddddy
<3

P.S. Any idea where I could find a manual for the game online (need to know controls again).

p.p.s. Any clue about the WC1 wanting me to insert disk 1 for an exe that loads the game in windows? Can I change that?

Reply 22 of 35, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered Aha! Captain Dos Freak can you puleease help me...

Captain DosFreak?
*writes a hurried email to DosFreak's CO*

At the bottom in the "General" section. They address my problem to a tee

Not really. They're talking about "real" DOS, not the emulated environments of NTVDM or DosBox.

The odd thing is that it's locking up on you, but not for him.

For the first step, I don't know how to check my sound cards IRQ # or how to change that in dos-box if needed.

It tells you what its SoundBlaster settings are when you start it up.

The default is:
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 T3

So it's using IRQ of 7 and a DMA of 1.

If you need to change it, you have to edit your dosbox.conf file.

For the second step, iI don't know if it even applies to me...

It doesn't.

Reply 23 of 35, by Unregistered

User metadata

Heh thanks. Is there any other way to see your IRQ and DMA? The bootup screen goes by too fast for me to read. I have AIDA32, but I still can't seem to find that info 😒

The "Captain" just seemed... appropriate.

>_>

<_<

I wish I could just find the kilrathi Saga somewhere... Then I wouldn't have to worry about all of this..

Whyyyyyyy does WC1 want a disk? 🙁

Last edited by Unregistered on 2003-06-27, 08:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 24 of 35, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered Is there any other way to see your IRQ and DMA? The bootup screen goes by too fast for me to read.

In DosBox, it stays on display at startup. If your talking about your actual PC with XP, it might be set in the BIOS, but XP won't display it on bootup.

I have AIDA32, but I still can't seem to find that info

Double-click AIDA32.EXE. Click DEVICES. Click DEVICE RESOURCES. It will have the data sorted by resources by default.
Click on the "Device Description" bar to sort by Devices. Look up your sound card/chipset and it will have your resources.

Having said all that. The IRQ and ports it uses don't really matter for DOS titles as you're using a emulated sound card for them, not your actual sound card/chipset.

Whyyyyyyy does WC1 want a disk?

Because it's confused by it's "environment", not that it helps you any...

In the meantime... we try to avoid linking/leeching/passing along these things as they attract the wrong kind of attention, but if you search for the saga with google, some underdogs may help you out.

Reply 27 of 35, by Unregistered

User metadata

Ayeee my stupidity runs rampant, especially late at night 😒

Anyway, thanks so much for that tidbit of help, I downloaded it and everything seems to be running fine except... there's no music 🙁 The description on underdogs reads "CD-rip version; excludes WC3 but includes all WC1 and WC2 and all secret missions + CD music."

But I can't find the CD music 😮

There is a mysterious zip file titled "wcdll" that came with the game and I have no idea what it's for. It's got a bunch of direct x files and a bunch of .dll files. Some are even labelled install, but I have no clue how to run a .dll 😒

Last edited by Unregistered on 2003-06-27, 01:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 28 of 35, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered Ayeee my stupidity runs rampant, especially late at night

...everything seems to be running fine except... there's no music 🙁 I assume that has something to do with needing the cd to run the music?

*attempts to restrain himself*
In the wcsaga directory it creates upon expansion, there are three executable files that do nothing by themselves and a KILSAGA.BAT that actually starts up the game. The very first thing it does after the Origin movie is display this:
* WARNING *
* YOU HAVE NOT PROPERLY INSTALLED THE MUSIC ADDON YET *
*WOULD YOU LIKE TO INSTALL THIS ADDON NOW?
* -----------------------------------------
* (1) YES
* (2) NO
* NOTE: YOU NEED AT LEAST 800 MB FREE HD SPACE TO RUN *

Also, I don't see wc3 anywhere in the files, but that's actually fine by me as I never really liked that game as much as the first two.

*blink*
*blink*
Well I'm not sure exactly why you thought they could squeeze 4 CD's worth of material (in addition to WC1/WC, + Secret Missions + Special Operations) into 73Megs...

But just to clarify, the technical notes clearly state:

excludes WC3 includes all WC1 and WC2 and all secret missions + CD music.

You can find the Technical Notes less than one inch below the download link that you couldn't find last time.

In the spirit of RTFM, maybe you should "take another look" when you don't understand something.

Reply 29 of 35, by Unregistered

User metadata

Sorry you're getting so frustrated with me, but I most certainly did open that .bat file when I first downloaded the game. All it did was show me the intro, open some command prompt window (that very well may say what you wrote above) for 2 seconds and then close. I figured it was just an intro clip or something. The only way to start the games seems to be by using the exe's from the actual wc1 and wc2 folders to play. Why will nothing work right for me! 🙁

---"Well I'm not sure exactly why you thought they could squeeze 4 CD's worth of material (in addition to WC1/WC, + Secret Missions + Special Operations) into 73Megs..."

Perhaps because, as I said, I don't know jack about computers.

---"But just to clarify, the technical notes clearly state:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
excludes WC3 includes all WC1 and WC2 and all secret missions + CD music.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can find the Technical Notes less than one inch below the download link that you couldn't find last time.
In the spirit of RTFM, maybe you should "take another look" when you don't understand something."

Yeah, sorry... I actually did read that part and was probably editing my post as you were replying 😒

Last edited by Unregistered on 2003-06-27, 08:14. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 30 of 35, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered Sorry you're getting so frustrated with me,

It's just that I'm getting the impression that when something doesn't work right, you're clicking on everything then immediately posting afterwards instead of paying attention to what is front of you.

but I most certainly did open that .bat file when I first downloaded the game. All it did was show me the intro, open some dos window for 2 seconds and close.

Now THAT is wrong, and there's no good reason for it doing so unless you were typing all over the keyboard to stop the intro. It's 5K in size, which is a hint that it has a lot of commands to process. Whenever in doubt about what a BAT file does, right-click on it and choose EDIT. It will display all the text inside and give you a decent idea of what it does...

Also, if you haven't already done so, you almost certainly need to apply the registry entries included in the REG file (double-click,click yes).

Why will nothing work right for me!

If a title doesn't specifically state compatibility with Windows XP: expect problems; some big, some small, some will be insurmountable.

Windows programs have a better chance of working with XP, but they are less likely to be "fixable" if they don't run easily.

Don't forget that many Windows programs expect Registry entries and bit and pieces of the Windows 9x...you can't just double-click on any executable and expect it to work properly (if it does, lucky you).

DOS programs require more time, effort, and knowledge, but if they don't run the first time, there are usually more options to try to get them running.

*Hands you some visine*

*glares*
*takes Ibuprofen and seriously considers leaving all this for console gaming*

Perhaps because, as I said, I don't know jack about computers.

Every CD has a storage capacity of 640 Megabytes. If there there any other "oldie" titles out there that you want to run, you need to learn some.

For example, take a look at my "problem Children" thread. I created it as a guide to getting some of the more difficult games out there to run properly...if possible. Take a look at the "BUILD Games" post. Looks pretty long-winded, right? It is. Now imagine if I explained all the technical terms as well...

It would result in a "War and Peace"-novel sized post that would be useless. One of the reasons I repeatedly tell people (usually in "caps") "THERE IS NO DOS IN XP" is because many people presume that it's just a continuation of Windows 95/98/ME.

Microsoft doesn't really help matters when they include a primitive SoundBlaster emulator in the OS and use terms like NTVDM (NT Virtual DOS Machine). They only feature a portion of compatibility with DOS titles, so the use of DOS and SoundBlaster terms are misleading. I still see people posting things like: "the sound quality is really poor" or "there's no music" or "there's music, but it sounds terrible" or "half of my stuff won't run anymore". They don't understand...that's normal for 2000/XP.

I actually did read that part and was probably editing my post as you were replying

Your post: June 26th, 2003 09:03 PM
My reply: June 27th, 2003 01:21

Reply 31 of 35, by Unregistered

User metadata

"Your post: June 26th, 2003 09:03 PM
My reply: June 27th, 2003 01:21"

Post time doesn't change when you edit. As for the visine, heh, you keep seeing my posts as I edit them 😁

Anyways, here's what my kilsaga bat looks like in text form and in it's originial form. I actually did make some progress on my own I think.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@echo off
:BEGIN
cls
Xanmovie.exe Intro.avi
if not exist WCKS\WC1\STREAMS\MISSION.STR goto MUSICNO
if not exist WCKS\WC2\STREAMS\GAMEFLOW.STR goto MUSICNO
goto MAINMENU
:MUSICNO
echo ***********
echo * WARNING *
echo *******************************************************
echo * YOU HAVE NOT PROPERLY INSTALLED THE MUSIC ADDON YET *
echo * WOULD YOU LIKE TO INSTALL THIS ADDON NOW? *
echo * ----------------------------------------- *
echo * (1) YES *
echo * (2) NO *
echo * *
echo * NOTE: YOU NEED AT LEAST 800 MB FREE HD SPACE TO RUN *
echo.
CHOICE /N /C:12 ENTER YOUR CHOICE %1
IF ERRORLEVEL==2 GOTO MAINMENU
IF ERRORLEVEL==1 GOTO MUSIC
GOTO END
:MUSIC
CALL unpak.bat
GOTO MAINMENU
:MAINMENU
del unpak.bat
cls
echo *********************
echo * THE KILRATHI SAGA *
echo *****************************************************************
echo * CHOOSE ONE OF THE FOLLOWING OPTIONS TO PICK WHICH GAME TO RUN *
echo * ------------------------------------------------------------- *
echo * (1) Wing Commander *
echo * (2) Wing Commander - Secret Missions I *
echo * (3) Wing Commander - Secret Missions II *
echo * (4) TRANSFER A WC1 CHARACTER TO USE IN SECRET MISSIONS 1 OR 2 *
echo * *
echo * (5) Wing Commander II *
echo * (6) Wing Commander II - Special Operations I *
echo * (7) Wing Commander II - Special Operations II *
echo * *
echo * NOTE: TO TRANSFER WCII CHARACTERS, USE THE IN-GAME OPTION *
echo * *
echo * (8) QUIT *
echo.
CHOICE /N /C:12345678 ENTER YOUR CHOICE %1
IF ERRORLEVEL==8 GOTO END
IF ERRORLEVEL==7 GOTO SEVEN
IF ERRORLEVEL==6 GOTO SIX
IF ERRORLEVEL==5 GOTO FIVE
IF ERRORLEVEL==4 GOTO FOUR
IF ERRORLEVEL==3 GOTO THREE
IF ERRORLEVEL==2 GOTO TWO
IF ERRORLEVEL==1 GOTO ONE
GOTO END
:SEVEN
echo.
echo.
echo.
echo * Loading WING COMMANDER II - SPECIAL OPERATIONS II *
TYPE NUL | CHOICE.COM /N /CY /TY,2 >NUL
CD WCKS\WC2
SO2.exe
GOTO MAINMENU
:SIX
echo.
echo.
echo.
echo * Loading WING COMMANDER II - SPECIAL OPERATIONS I *
CD WCKS\WC2
SO1.exe
GOTO MAINMENU
:FIVE
echo.
echo.
echo.
echo * Loading WING COMMANDER II *
CD WCKS\WC2
WC2.exe
GOTO MAINMENU
:FOUR
echo.
echo.
echo.
echo * Loading WING COMMANDER Character Transfer Utility *
CD WCKS\WC1
TRANSFER.exe
GOTO MAINMENU
:THREE
echo.
echo.
echo.
echo * Loading WING COMMANDER - SECRET MISSIONS II *
CD WCKS\WC1
SM2.exe
GOTO MAINMENU
:TWO
echo.
echo.
echo.
echo * Loading WING COMMANDER - SECRET MISSIONS I *
CD WCKS\WC1
SM1.exe
GOTO MAINMENU
:ONE
echo.
echo.
echo.
echo * Loading WING COMMANDER *
CD WCKS\WC1
WC1.exe
GOTO MAINMENU
:END
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried actually running it through command prompt and it didn't close right away thank god, but it said "Choice' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file." So from there I moved around a few "goto" commands to try and make it so that no choices had to be made at any time. I got the game to load fine and I'm assuming I can just switch the go to's when I want to switch games. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get the music files to unpack >_<

I put "goto music" right in front of the intro, then I put "goto one" (to load WC1) right after "CALL unpak.bat" (which I assumed is what adds the music. I don't know what I did wrong. Maybe my command prompt doesn't recognize the "call" command same way it doesn't recognize the "Choice" command? The really odd thing is that I simply don't see an unpak.bat file anywhere in the WC folders 😮

If you could just help me figure out this one last detail, in all likelyhood, you'd never have to hear from my dumbass again ;D

Last edited by Unregistered on 2003-06-27, 08:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 32 of 35, by Unregistered

User metadata

Aha! Figured it all out 🤣

Because the choice command wasnt being recognized, the program would skip right to the ':MAINMENU section, which oddly enough has the "del unpak.bat" as it's first line. That explains why the .bat file wasn't there anymore.

I deserve some smart points for this one ;D

Thank you so much for the days and days of support. If I could pay you back somehow, I would!

Reply 33 of 35, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Originally posted by Unregistered "Your post: June 26th, 2003 09:03 PM My reply: June 27th, 2003 01:21" Post time doesn't chang […]
Show full quote

Originally posted by Unregistered "Your post: June 26th, 2003 09:03 PM
My reply: June 27th, 2003 01:21"

Post time doesn't change when you edit. As for the visine, heh, you keep seeing my posts as I edit them

Well then I guess it's just a remarkable coincidence...

I tried actually running it through command prompt and it didn't close right away thank god, but it said "Choice' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

Hrmm...not good.

Start up a command prompt and type this into it:
CHOICE /?

It should give you this:
Waits for the user to choose one of a set of choices.

CHOICE [/C[:]choices] [/N] [/S] [/T[:]c,nn] [text]

/C[:]choices Specifies allowable keys. Default is YN
/N Do not display choices and ? at end of prompt string.
/S Treat choice keys as case sensitive.
/T[:]c,nn Default choice to c after nn seconds
text Prompt string to display

ERRORLEVEL is set to offset of key user presses in choices.

So from there I moved around a few "goto" commands to try and make it so that no choices had to be made at any time.

Just so long as the games requirements are met. After having looked through it, it appears that just choosing and running the appropriate executables will work, and that the registry entry is for the purpose of pointing to the music files' location.

Originally posted by Unregistered If you could just help me figure out this one last detail, in all likelyhood, you'd never have to hear from my dumba** again

What we hope is that you take what you've learned and spread it to others at a place like...well...here.

Because the choice command wasnt being recognized, the program would skip right to the ':MAINMENU section, which oddly enough has the "del unpak.bat" as it's first line. That explains why the .bat file wasn't there anymore.

I deserve some smart points for this one

*gives Smart Points*

You should be able to extract UNPAK.BAT manually from the ZIP file and run it yourself to extract the audio files. It also applies the registry entry for music so you won't need to run that manually.