VOGONS

First post, by Porthose

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I've tried to get the above game to work including patching from the Bitmap Bros site but no luck. VDMSound gets to 'VDDLoader.dll' and then appears to hang. The furthest that i've been able to get is to use Dosbox whereby configuration works correctly but upon trying to run the exe, again nothing happens.

Any hints and ideas from anyone?

Thanks
Peter

Reply 1 of 4, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's working for me, although music & sounds sound like crap and at incredibly slow pace. It seems this game does a lot of nasty PIT reprogramming. The SB detection routine also sucks big time. BTW: This game doesn't run well even under pure DOS. I'm surmising that's because of faster new processors. Haven't tried any slowdown utility yet, but Speedset makes it to hardlock.

Reply 2 of 4, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Porthose I've tried to get the above game to work including patching from the Bitmap Bros site but no luck. VDMSound gets to 'VDDLoader.dll' and then appears to hang.

Well, it not likely to be VDMSound. It works here as well as eL_PuSHeR describes it.

The furthest that i've been able to get is to use Dosbox whereby configuration works correctly but upon trying to run the exe, again nothing happens.

Unless you're running an old version of DosBox (or not running it properly), then something may be wrong with your game. Runs in DosBox with a few minor glitches (music seems to freeze upon certain visual effects). Are you using DosBox 0.58, mounting the drives properly, etc...

I suspect your game may be kaput. Is it the CD or floppy version?

Reply 3 of 4, by Unregistered

User metadata

This game was originally on the Amiga. Both versions are identical, but the Amiga version had slightly better music. Try going to http://www.winuae.net and picking up the Amiga emulator that resides there. Then find an adf image of the game. A lot less trouble than tweaking the DOS version.

Reply 4 of 4, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered ...but the Amiga version had slightly better music.

SLIGHTLY?
*throws spoon at Unregistered*

I think he means "glaringly obviously better"

A lot less trouble than tweaking the DOS version.

Well, there are few things you need to tweak on the Amiga side as well. To be fair, that's because it was as flexible as the PC in configuration.

One thing to remember, unless he's already familiar with the Amiga and the way it works, it may actually be more frustrating (the "unlearning" problem). Having said that, I'm always been a big Amiga Advocate.

Best settings to adjust (for me) for WinUAE with ChaosEngine:
Kickstart 1.3
Resolution: 640x400 (full-screen), Horizontal & Vertical Centering
Line Mode: Doubled
ChipSet type: Full ECS, NTSC
Floppies: Two Drives (for both disks), speed setting to 800% (Turbo locked on me)

IIRC, there was no hard-drive installable version for the Amiga, but I'm sure someone has come up with a hack for that. Of course, that means more "fiddling" with the setup.