VOGONS

First post, by Recklesss

User metadata

Running Callahan's Crosstime Saloon with VDMSound.

I've got one (major) problem... the mouse pointer only moves in the top half of the screen 🙁 The game, sound and mouse work apart from not being able to reach past the middle of the screen which makes the game unplayable!

Is there an issue with the VESA mode support of CCS/VDMSound, my setup or have I missed something?

System: ASUS CUSL2-C, P3 1Ghz
Video: Innovision GF4/4200-64
nVidia drivers: V31.40
Mouse: Intellipoint Optical v1.1 connected via PS/2 port (using USB adapter)
Mouse drivers: Intellipoint 4.12

VDMSound: 2.0.4 + Update 2 + Launchpad V1.0.1.1
VDMSound shortcut attached (renamed to .txt)

Big thx in advance!

Attachments

• Filename
    ccs.txt.vlp
    File size
    204 Bytes
    Downloads
    209 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 23, by Reckless

User metadata

Sorry, I should have mentioned I've tried the mouse2kv util but that didn't seem to do anything for me (assuming I'd set it up correctly).

I ran vdmsound manually
then mouse2kv with the paramters as example pif with ccs.exe on the end.
Game ran up but mouse still bound to upper half of screen!

Thanks in advance

Reply 2 of 23, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't know what to tell you Reckless. I found my CD, installed it, and the mouse works just fine with it.

I did have audio problems. SoundBlaster/Adlib audio seemed completely broken until I applied the v1.01 patch. Now, everything seems fine except that SB16 audio won't work. There's a slight stutter on the intro video, but the in-game audio seems consistently good.

One thing I did notice was that it used VESA without needing NOLFB.COM. Hrmm... Were you using NOLFB? The only other factor I can think of is that you're using a GF4, which seems to be really picky when it comes to DOS VESA displays.

Reply 4 of 23, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Reckless I hadn't tried NOLFB..... but I have now and it unfortunately didn't help me out

Well NOLFB is only for use when you can't pull up a VESA display normally. And it only works if the program has a NOLFB "fallback" mode.

I've got another system which is almost the same spec bar the GF4 (it's got a Matrox G400 in it) so I'll give that a go tonight.

Hopefully, it will. It does sound like it's a videocard-specific problem.

By the way, is your game patched to v1.01?

Reply 5 of 23, by Reckless

User metadata

Well, that was longer than expected and less successful than hoped!!

It will not even run up on my G400 equipped system - complains about no VESA mode! I tried NOLFB and still the same error message. From memory I think Matrox removed some VESA support in a BIOS update a few years back (needed space for something else or other). I'll try and track down the article...

Yes, CCS is the patched version.

I'll take the game into work over the next few days and try it out on a few systems there! Something must work 😀

Reply 6 of 23, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unfortunately, VESA graphics are not available with any Matrox board in Windows NT or 2000, even though the boards support VESA in DOS, Windows 9x, and Windows Me.

This is what I rememberd. Bad news for me I'd say! I'll have to wait until I ditch the GF4 🙁

Reply 7 of 23, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

GF4 cards aren't better either. There seems to be a bios bug that prevents accessing modes beyond 640x480 under WinXP. That's nasty.
P.S. I just miss old PCI cards like Cirrus Logic or even Trident. They ran without so many problems. I think AGP is just a joke. I hope PCI Express will be better. Also, both my old SiS6326 and TNT2 had great VESA support. I could be a WinXP issue, though.

Reply 8 of 23, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by eL_PuSHeR GF4 cards aren't better either. There seems to be a bios bug that prevents accessing modes beyond 640x480 under WinXP.

Still though...it should at least run in 640x480 which is what CCS uses by default.

Reply 9 of 23, by Unregistered

User metadata

i have this same mouse problem with games like discworld 2 and touche. in discworld 2 mouse moves only on the upper half of the screen while in touche mouse moves only in a little box in the left upper corner which is something like 80x40 pixels large.
i have w2k, microsoft mouse (explorer) and gf2mx

Reply 10 of 23, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered i have w2k, microsoft mouse (explorer) and gf2mx

I'm starting to suspect that this is a video hardware-related problem as mentioned here. We might need everyone with these cards to run VESA checks to see what kind of results occur.

Reply 11 of 23, by Jiri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Reckless wrote:

Well, that was longer than expected and less successful than hoped!! It will not even run up on my G400 equipped system - complains about no VESA mode!

Maybe you could try Mon-ARC.

"Mon-ARC PLUS is a TSR (Terminate and Stay Resident) program that co-exists with the existing VGA BIOS, enabling the videocard to support any user defined modes.
Supported Video Cards:
Voodoo Series (Banshee chipset, Voodoo3 Chipset and Voodoo 5500).
Trident Blade3D.
Matrox G400."

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/andrew.lewis5/arcade/monarc.htm

Reply 12 of 23, by Unregistered

User metadata

I am trying to make Callahan's Crosstime Saloon work (Win 2000 Pro)
I don't have VESA support, so I used VDMSound 2.10 for "enabling basic VESA". Now I have the problem with the mouse being confined in top half of the screen.
I want to try Mouse2kv, but I don't know how to run BOTH VDMSound and Mouse2kv. In the VDMSound directory there is a mouse2kv.exe file, dut I can't figure out how to run them both.
Thank you all.

Reply 13 of 23, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is a readme for the MOUSE2KV program in the docs directory. Basically you'll call MOUSE2KV instead of the game's executable, since the last argument for MOUSE2KV is the game's executable. (Does this make sense to you?)

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 14 of 23, by Unregistered

User metadata

More or less, it does make sense.
I need an executable: "Mouse 2kv 640 480 8 8 ccs.exe" - this one I should run with VDMSound - is that correct?
But how/where do I create it? I've read in this thread that Reckless has been running VDMSound manually, a method which for the time being is far above my competence...
(Well, when I began trying to make Callahan's run, I didn't know what a driver is, let alone VESA. I am still pursuing self-education. And that's how I found myself at VOGONS.)

P.S. For months I've been wondering how to make Sh. Holmes 2 - Rose Tattoo work. Thanks to VDMSound, the dream became true.
It's an amazing achievement!
Thank you, and sorry for the ignorance.

Reply 15 of 23, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

that's right. You should be able to run MOUSE2KV outright, since it is in Windows' PATH environment variable. Just make sure you use the absolute path to the game's executable.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 16 of 23, by Tinker

User metadata

There's a problem with Mouse2kv if the game itself switches video modes.

In System Shock, using Mouse2kv means that it's possible to end up with the mouse cursor off screen in the 320x200 title screen which will crash the game. In Terra Nova the mouse cursor disappears completely in the 320x200 game mode with Mouse2kv enabled, while the 640x480 selection screens are non functional with the cursor trapped in the top-left box with Mouse2kv disbaled.

Reply 17 of 23, by dvwjr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you wish to use the MOUSE2KV.EXE utility with many of the games that have been mentioned on this thread, update from Win2K to WinXP. No longer will you have the "trapped" or "half-screen" mouse.

If you continue to use WinNT4 or Win2K, you will continue to have mouse cursor problems with many DOS games run under the Windows DOS emulation system, NTVDM...

Best of luck,

dvwjr

Reply 18 of 23, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I pulled out my copy of Callahan's and installed it on my G400 equiped system and had no problems with the default VDMS settings and without Mouse2kv. In the TEST directory on the CD is a file called VTEST.EXE, which when I run it gives a message "The VESA test was successful!" The version of my card though, is the G400 MAX, a second revision to the original G400. Is your G400 the first version?