VOGONS

First post, by saboya

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys. I found out about VDMSound in google trying to figure out how to play Cyberia in win xp and ended up here.

I've tried several configurations with no success here. The executable file runs, then big letters appear: "Press any key to continue..." and when I press them, the DOS window closes.

Specs:

Athlon XP 2000+
A7V8X-X (KT400 chipset)
512mb DDR PC-2700
GeForce2 GTS 32mb
SBLive! MP3+

thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 7, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by saboya Hey guys. I found out about VDMSound in google trying to figure out how to play Cyberia in win xp and ended up here.

I've tried several configurations with no success here. The executable file runs, then big letters appear: "Press any key to continue..."

Since the game runs off the CD, and low-level CD-ROM access isn't enabled by default; I'd guess that you need it enabled.

(Presuming you're running with the GUI Launchpad)
Right-click the VLP file (created by the Launchpad) and choose Properties, click on the box by "Enable low-level CD-ROM access. Click OK.

Does the CD respond?

Reply 2 of 7, by saboya

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:
Since the game runs off the CD, and low-level CD-ROM access isn't enabled by default; I'd guess that you need it enabled. […]
Show full quote

Since the game runs off the CD, and low-level CD-ROM access isn't enabled by default; I'd guess that you need it enabled.

(Presuming you're running with the GUI Launchpad)
Right-click the VLP file (created by the Launchpad) and choose Properties, click on the box by "Enable low-level CD-ROM access. Click OK.

Does the CD respond?

That was my first problem. The game complained about the CD (no CD-ROM found) and I then I modified the autoexec to load it. Then the problem I described started to happen.

Reply 3 of 7, by saboya

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

nevermind, found the problem... disc in wrong cd drive. doh hehe.

but now, another problem:

after I get into the ship (the one with the bomb that you defuse), you combat a cargo ship, and then there's the "destroy the fuel dumps" part, with the green mountains and stuff. the game crashes in that part and the DOS window closes unexepectadly and goes back to windows.

ps: the sound is very "obstructed", and it's kinda laggy, expected, but a bit annoying.

Reply 5 of 7, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by saboya The game complained about the CD (no CD-ROM found) and I then I modified the autoexec to load it.

?? AUTOEXEC.VDMS or AUTOEXEC.NT? If you have the GUI launchpad, you shouldn't have to mess with either.

Originally posted by saboya ... disc in wrong cd drive.

Yes, Cyberia wants your first CD drive available (lowest letter). This is probably true for all "removable" drives.

after I get into the ship (the one with the bomb that you defuse), you combat a cargo ship, and then there's the "destroy the fuel dumps" part, with the green mountains and stuff. the game crashes in that part and the DOS window closes unexepectadly and goes back to windows.

I'm willing to bet that's an internal game bug. If so, there's probably little to be done about it. Do you have a save game just before this?

ps: the sound is very "obstructed", and it's kinda laggy, expected, but a bit annoying.

I noticed that certain portions of the game have smooth audio (the 1st briefing, the dock area) while others have the lag effect (noticeably, all the non-interactive movies). I'm not sure that can be fixed without emulation (tried all possible audio configurations).

While testing it with the 0584 version of DosBox; I found that video portions that lag with VDMSound run smoothly, while video portions that were smooth in VDMSound lagged in DosBox. Present (public) version can't run it at all. I'm gonna say that this is a "future DOSbox" game.

Originally posted by eL_PuSHeR You should try the "Cap DOS timer" option under VDMSound.

I don't expect that to help. Just for kicks, I tried it myself and it made little difference.

Reply 6 of 7, by saboya

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sehr gut is right, not much of a difference when enabling cap dos frequency.

I tried to change buffers in sound, but no good either.

about the parts that are laggy/obstructed, the first video and most of the videos DOESN'T run smooth, the sound keeps pausing each 2 or 3 seconds (although the scenes that you talk to the orange-hair-guy are perfect). The part that you actually play is laggy, but does not pause, it's just slower than the usual. It can be -weirdly- fixed by pressing alt+tab (it goes back to windows), waiting some time then going back to the DOS window. The game runs perfectly when I do that (I had to do that to get past the 4 guards inside the right door in the corridor after the security door).

anyway, the game is playable, just some annoying stuff.

PS: I changed autoexec.vdms BEFORE i get the launchpad, which made my life a lot easier 😀

Reply 7 of 7, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by saboya about the parts that are laggy/obstructed, the first video and most of the videos DOESN'T run smooth, the sound keeps pausing each 2 or 3 seconds (although the scenes that you talk to the orange-hair-guy are perfect).

I was just giving some quick examples from the early part of the game. The portions I played weren't "laggy", but then again, I "played" very few.

My point was that they're using either different videomodes or different video "players" with in the game, and that I suspect that this is what's inducing the audio lag.