VOGONS

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

I just finished playing the SC2 remake recently (Ur-Quan Masters), and decided I would replay SC3 as well.

I've managed to get SC3 working fairly well in XP with VDMSound. The only problem is the sound stutters a bit.

I've tried all kind of things, like changing various VDMSound settings, running a different hardware profile with all unnecessary services turned off to save CPU cycles, I even tried a tip to change the sound card setting from SB16 to plain old SB. None of them really helped. Changing the DMA Servicing and Ouput Buffer values seemed to help smooth things out a little, but it's still noticable.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to get rid of the stuttering?

Reply 1 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered Anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to get rid of the stuttering?

Honestly? It sounds like you've done just about everything already. About the only other thing I can think is to switch to different audio chipset/soundcard as some are a bit on the "weak side".

Reply 2 of 8, by Unregistered

User metadata

Drat! Not what I wanted to hear.

Well, changing sound cards isn't really an option . . . I have an Asus MB with the nForce 2 chipset, and I'm using the integrated Soundstorm APU. So I'd have to go out and buy a card just for this game . . . NOT! 😁

Guess I'll just have to put up with it.

Reply 3 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered Well, changing sound cards isn't really an option . . . I have an Asus MB with the nForce 2 chipset,

Well, I certainly wouldn't consider the nForce2 a "weak" chipset.

Sometimes, various factors combine together to just make a game unplayable without "full" emulation. There was a Mac version, but that's "out" as an option because it requires a PowerMac.

Future option may be DosBox, but the game requires a 486 AND VESA, so that may be a good long while.

Present options: VMWare or "Virtual PC" (both will probably be poor for the action portions of the game), and a Dual-Boot setup.

I'd say a dual-boot setup between Windows 98 and XP is the optimum solution.

Reply 4 of 8, by Unregistered

User metadata

Progress!

SC3 still stutters and crackles a little during the cutscenes, but during conversations it's virtually gone.

Turns out that moving the CPU usage slider down to the lowest setting, actually improved the performace of the game! I got the idea from another message here, and frankly never would've thought to do that. I mean, since when does allocating less CPU cycles actually make a game run better? 😕

I guess VDMSound is needlessly wasting cycles at the highest setting, which causes the system to suffer? Dunno.

Reply 7 of 8, by kefka95

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Since I haven't seen a working solution offered for this, I'll offer my two cents:

I've gotten Star Control 3 working with solid sound for speech, although the cinematics still have stuttering sound. I have VDMSound set to the Soundblaster 16 setting, but in the Star Control 3 SETSOUND setup program, I have digital audio set to simply "Soundblaster compatible" (it's the most "basic" soundblaster setting). Make sure you're running the setup with VDMSound as well. Using these options, I get solid non-stuttering sound for any speech outside of the cinematics.

Also, it doesn't hurt to run the game from a virtual drive, as this game does an awful lot of in-game loading from the CD.

Reply 8 of 8, by NikkyD

User metadata

No solution for SC3, but i have the same problem with different games mainly during videos or sequences.

Reducing the CPU usage to a minimum nearly wiped out the problem, only small gaps remain.
"cap DOS timer frequency" shows no effect.

also turning down the DMA servicing to 2 / 10 helped a bit.

switching to older SB drivers and stuff didnt help at all!

(i could try a non VDMS CPU timer to reduce speed)

maybe this helps some ppl