VOGONS

death gate...

Topic actions

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

im trying to play Death Gate (ripped version from Home of the Underdogs) and VDMS made the sound work... but the gfx r still messed up. it has black lines down the screen and is really fuzzy so i cant make anything out, and when i move the mouse it goes down the screen then reappears on the other side. i fixed this once but cant remember how... any help would be appreciated

Reply 1 of 4, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What Operating System are you using? For me, it works quite well under WinXP Prof. I'm using MIDI for music, which is great and SB for the sound samples. Here is a word of advice. For some weird reason, the game won't run at all for me if I choose anything different from a plain vanilla SB. So, forget SBPRO, SB16 and the like.

Reply 3 of 4, by Unregistered

User metadata

that thread is about the mouse not going to the lower part of the screen, my problem is the graphics r all screwed up and i cant do anything. the soud works fine now but i cant see anything so i cant play it. Ive tried using Nolfb but that didnt do anything.

I have WinXP Pro, and other games do this as well.

when i alt-tab, then go back into the game the graphics look fine, but the screen is arranged wrong (Xar's body is in the top left, the bottom of his desk is in the top right, and a bunch of grey boxes are in the middle.)

i would take a screenshot but when i press print screen it wont copy to clipboard.

i guess ill ask at the HotU message boards too...

Reply 4 of 4, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered that thread is about the mouse not going to the lower part of the screen, my problem is the graphics r all screwed up and i cant do anything.

Well, I was speaking in general terms of getting it to run properly. I had also tried HotU's "ripped" version and was originally unable to get it running (I had missed the note about editing the setup file before uncompressing files).

...the sound works fine now but i cant see anything so i cant play it.

It's probably tied to the VESA support of your video card. I was able to get a VESA display without having to use NOLFB, which is unusual for my GeForce3.

Ive tried using Nolfb but that didnt do anything.

NOLFB is only of use if the game supports both "Banked" and "LFB" video modes and your video card (whatever it may be) has support for for the "Banked" video modes.

Let's try this. Scitech has UniVBE v6.7 for DOS available at:
http://www.scitechsoft.com/products/enterpris … ree_titles.html

Download and install that. In whatever directory you place it, it will contain these files:
README.TXT
UNICENTR.EXE
UNIVBE.EXE
UVCONFIG.EXE
VBETEST.EXE

The only files you will using are the README and VBETEST.EXE.

Start up a command line and run VBETEST and try out some of the various video tests. If it locks up, Ctrl-Alt-Delete, then kill ("End Task") the command prompt.

When you start up VBETEST, it should come up with text like this:

OEM string: IBM SVGA BIOS, (C) 1993 International Business Machines Version: VBE 1.2 with 4096 Kb memory […]
Show full quote

OEM string: IBM SVGA BIOS, (C) 1993 International Business Machines
Version: VBE 1.2 with 4096 Kb memory

Select test to perform:

[0] - Interactive Tests
[Q] - Quit

You then select zero for Interactive tests:

Select color mode to test: […]
Show full quote

Select color mode to test:

[0] - 4 bits per pixel modes [3] - 16 bits per pixel modes
[1] - 8 bits per pixel modes [4] - 24 bits per pixel modes
[2] - 15 bits per pixel modes [5] - 32 bits per pixel modes
[6] - Text modes
[Q] - Quit

Then select 1 for 8 bits per pixel modes (it's also a good idea to test for 16 bits and 24 bits later):

Which 8 bit video mode to test: [0] - 640x400x8, 1 page, Banked+Linear […]
Show full quote

Which 8 bit video mode to test:

[0] - 640x400x8, 1 page, Banked+Linear
[1] - 640x480x8, 1 page, Banked+Linear
[2] - 800x600x8, 1 page, Banked+Linear
[3] - 1024x768x8, 1 page, Banked+Linear

Test modes like these to see what kind of response you get. The 640x480x8 modes are the most important as they are the most commonly used.

Also, if your game is installed on a FAT or FAT32 partition, you might try going to: http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm and grabbing the Windows 98 OEM bootdisk file. You just stick a blank floppy in your drive and double-click the boot98.exe to create a Win98 bootdisk. Delete the Drvspace.bin file off of the floppy and copy the VBETEST.EXE file from your UniVBE directory.

Now boot from that floppy and run VBETEST. I'm willing to bet that you will find that some tests pass that would not under XP.