Rank

Hello all!

I have AthlonXP 2000
Geforce 3 ti200
SB Audigy
512 DDR 333
Gigabye GA7VAXP mobo
Latest VDMSound with update

Can anyone get this game to run the intoduciton with Soundblaster enabled? GM emu seems to work fine and only when Soundblaster is enabled in the install options does it crash at this point. I even tried telling VDMsound to report different versions of the SB but to no avail...Any ideas my friend?

PS. Admins/developers, thanks for a bitchin emulator! Keep up the good work (as we are ALL eagerly awaiting a new release!)

Thanks.

Reply 3 of 10, by prismra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For some reason, the archive I have downloaded only contains the dos installer. The odd this is that the readme file says to run 'setup' instead of 'install' but there is no setup executable to be found...

So to answer your question, no.

This is what happens when you loose all of your old games and have to scavenge them off the net... : (

Reply 4 of 10, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
prismra wrote:

the archive I have downloaded...

Don't think many people will help you out! I had lost/sold/binned some of my earliest s/w and ended up spending far too much on eBay to get some titles back. Even bought some I didn't ever own befoere - Callahan's Crosstime Saloon - which I can't quite get working!! Ah well!

Reply 5 of 10, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover Tried the Windows version?

Found My CD's. PQ4 seems to have similar problems as the Windows version of LeisureSuitLarry6. The intro seems fine, it starts fine, but actually playing the game triggers all kinds of script errors. It looks like the Windows version is a no-go. Fortunately, the DOS version has VESA support (except for the floppy version).

Originally posted by prismra The odd this is that the readme file says to run 'setup' instead of 'install' but there is no setup executable to be found...

It's probably a "rip" from the CD version. Some of their CD versions used an annoying "re-install to change the setup" routine. Annoying for CD owners, a hopeless mess for a "rip".

Reply 7 of 10, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Reckless Don't think many people will help you out!

Don't misunderstand. It's not that we (or others) don't care, it's just that there are many "abandoned" titles placed for download that are an unfixable mess.

In this case, it's hard to tell. If you have the floppy version, they should've included the SETUP program; so I'm guessing that it's a hacked version of the CD game. If that's the case, your critical files are INSTALL.INI and RESOURCE.CFG. If you have them, try zipping them up and adding them as an attachment here and we'll see if we can tweak them. You might also give us a listing of the files in the game directory. They may have left out driver files you need.

I had lost/sold/binned some of my earliest s/w and ended up spending far too much on eBay to get some titles back.

eBay *blech* Half-price Books has been one of my greatest resources. Found an original, boxed "Ultima VII: The Black Gate" in the "all black" box (complete with all it's contents: cloth manual, etc...) there on the "closeout" rack. Price?

Don't misunderstand. It's not that we (or others) don't care, it's just that there are many "abandoned" titles placed for download that are an unfixable mess.

In this case, it's hard to tell. If you have the floppy version, they should've included the SETUP program; so I'm guessing that it's a hacked version of the CD game. If that's the case, your critical files are INSTALL.INI and RESOURCE.CFG. If you have them, try zipping them up and adding them as an attachment here and we'll see if we can tweak them. You might also give us a listing of the files in the game directory. They may have left out driver files you need.

I had lost/sold/binned some of my earliest s/w and ended up spending far too much on eBay to get some titles back.

eBay *blech* Half-price Books has been one of my greatest resources. Found an original, boxed "Ultima VII: The Black Gate" in the "all black" box (complete with all it's contents: cloth manual, etc...) there on the "closeout" rack. Price? $1

I think the primary reason it was made so cheap was that it is the 5.25" floppy disk version. Doesn't matter as I still have a 5.25 drive (as well as the CD version). Found an unopened box of "Freddy Pharcus: Frontier Pharmacist" there for a $1.

Recently found the jewelcase+CD for the Windows 3.1 version of GADGET. It was missing the paper CD insert, but it still a deal consider it originally retailed for $79.99 and I got it for 50 cents.

Even bought some I didn't ever own before - Callahan's Crosstime Saloon - which I can't quite get working!! Ah well!

I think the primary reason it was made so cheap was that it is the 5.25" floppy disk version. Doesn't matter as I still have a 5.25 drive (as well as the CD version). Found an unopened box of "Freddy Pharcus: Frontier Pharmacist" there for a

eBay *blech* Half-price Books has been one of my greatest resources. Found an original, boxed "Ultima VII: The Black Gate" in the "all black" box (complete with all it's contents: cloth manual, etc...) there on the "closeout" rack. Price? $1

I think the primary reason it was made so cheap was that it is the 5.25" floppy disk version. Doesn't matter as I still have a 5.25 drive (as well as the CD version). Found an unopened box of "Freddy Pharcus: Frontier Pharmacist" there for a $1.

Recently found the jewelcase+CD for the Windows 3.1 version of GADGET. It was missing the paper CD insert, but it still a deal consider it originally retailed for $79.99 and I got it for 50 cents.

Even bought some I didn't ever own before - Callahan's Crosstime Saloon - which I can't quite get working!! Ah well!

Recently found the jewelcase+CD for the Windows 3.1 version of GADGET. It was missing the paper CD insert, but it still a deal consider it originally retailed for .99 and I got it for 50 cents.

Try it out on some friend's PC. I think your PC's are suffering from "weird hardware response" syndrome.

Reply 8 of 10, by prismra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a sneaking suspicion that it is indeed VDMSond causing the problem. The game does not crash during the intro when running VDMSound with no Digital audio selected. Can anyone else get past the intro (where the badge comes 'flying at you?') with General Midi AND Soundblaster enabled in the options?

Thanks.

Rocking the following:

Roland MT-32
Roland SC-55 Sound Canvas

Reply 9 of 10, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got the PQ Collection set (eBay - yeah, I know - tho this one was quite good value!)... tried it out and it did run past the shield part you described. At the crime scene, I pressed escape and the game crashed. This is almost the same as I had happen on one of the LSL series... with that I used the Windows interpreter and all was well.

Edit:
I just setup the Windows one and the sound plays 'better' - in DOS the helicoptor was played but not correct. Also, in Windows the interpreter complains of 'cursor too big' occasionally but plays fine.

Best of luck!

Last edited by Reckless on 2003-08-09, 19:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 10, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by prismra I have a sneaking suspicion that it is indeed VDMSond causing the problem.

In the vast majority of cases, it's not.

The game does not crash during the intro when running VDMSound with no Digital audio selected. Can anyone else get past the intro (where the badge comes 'flying at you?') with General Midi AND Soundblaster enabled in the options?

Yes, I can. Every time, with General Midi AND Soundblaster and VDMSound.

Originally posted by Reckless At the crime scene, I pressed escape and the game crashed. This is almost the same as I had happen on one of the LSL series... with that I used the Windows interpreter and all was well.

The Windows version of the LSL series or PQ4? Either way, it's odd as I always got nasty script errors shortly into the game. With LSL6, it starts almost immediately; with PQ4 I was able to look around a little before it started bombing out on me.

Also, in Windows the interpreter complains of 'cursor too big' occasionally but plays fine.

Interesting. Were you using the three primary compatibility options? (Win95/256Colors/640x480 resolution)