VOGONS

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

Hi, I'm trying to get "Where in the USA is Carmen San Diego? 1.0" to work with VDMS. The music works fine. But when I use the games setup program to get sound the game will freeze and a looping sound will occur when the case board goes up. If I don't put sound on the game will run fine. Any ideas of how to fix this problem? My computer is Asus P3v 133 motherboard-Intel 600 Cpu- 890 Ram-GForce 4 64M-SB 512-XP Pro.
John

Reply 5 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered Hi, The operating system is windows xp-pro.

This seems awfully familiar.

Carmen seems to "strongly dislike" NT. From my tests with "Where in USA is Carmen Sandiego?"

Works fine in silence (640k)

Using XP or VDMSound, causes delays in on-screen action. Eventually crashes, hard. Even crashes under VPC5 with Win95.

At the time I was doing the testing, DosBox didn't have it's CD-ROM support, so trying it with DosBox may be worth a go now.

Reply 7 of 9, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Remember: you can 'feed' more/less cycles to DosBox emulation by using the CTRL-F11 and CTRL-F12 keys while running something.

For instance, for my Athlon XP 1800+ 10500 cycles is about the speed of a 386 33Mhz. The default value is 1800 so go figures. For some games, you may need to increase the cycles value to something bigger. That's why you have the function keys shortcut. To avoid putting an incorrect setting in the ini file.

Reply 9 of 9, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

We should make a list of 'roughly comparable to' cycles and then make an algorithm out of that data to extrapolate what the equivilant cycle speed would be for any given processor speed. Hm...now all we need is a program that will measure from inside DOSBox what the clock speed is (being emulated as).

Yes, it’s my fault.