VOGONS

OPL (AdLib) emulation

Topic actions

Reply 41 of 58, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's just that proper OPL3 emulation would allow Vlad to "wrap up" his audio emulator as it would then (pretty much) cover all the audio bases and he could then start working on his "Perfect, Universal PC Emulator".

Reply 43 of 58, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover OPL3 and MT-32, you mean.

Ah, yes, of course. But OPL3 is apparently supposed to come from Jarek, so Vlad can only wait.

Whereas MT32 is actually being worked on by Vlad, so we know that it's "coming soon", right? *raises eyebrows*

Reply 44 of 58, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Perhaps I should paste the last conversation I had with Vlad. I shall paraphrase it for everyone in the meantime:

Vlad: [incoherent dribble]
Me: What the hell are you saying?
Vlad: Trying to confuse you with incoherent dribble.
Me: Work on VDMSound.
Vlad: [incoherent dribble]
Me: STOP IT!
Vlad: How am I supposed to have a DEMANDING JOB *and* work on VDMSound *and* annoy you?
Me: Work on VDMSound now instead of talking to me.
Vlad: No, I need week-long chunks to work on VDMSound.

Needless to say I doubt MT-32 emulation has gotten any further.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 45 of 58, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Says Jarek:

First of all, I needed a break from soldering iron (didn't quite succeed because in the meantime I did ym2413 and ym2608, as you […]
Show full quote

First of all, I needed a break from soldering iron
(didn't quite succeed because in the meantime I did
ym2413 and ym2608, as you probably know).

Anyway, I've started to build another PCB last
weekend. I received an OPL3 on DIP socket from Olivier Galibert so I'm all set. Just need more free time.

😀

So please be patient, he hasn't forgotten.

Reply 47 of 58, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Jarek has added that he's started work on the OPL3, it may take one-to-two months to emulate.

A lot to do just for the 2 arcade games that require its emulation in MAME (Tecmo System, kthnx).

But if it goes past deadline, don't flame him. You'll have to come through me first. So settle, Snover. 😉

Keep in mind that this is only the synth/audio chip on the SB16 (and Adlib Gold and PAS16). Vlad (or someone) will have to emulate the rest. I vote for Harekiet if Vlad's too busy (bleah).

I hope that the true audioheads lurking here will be able to point out bugs in the OPL3 emulation once it's hooked up to VDMSound and/or DOSBOX, just like we did with the OPL2 (YM3812) emulation.

Reply 48 of 58, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Okay, I'll wait two days before I start flaming instead of one. 😜

I don't think DOSBox is using Jarek's OPL2 emulation. I would like to see VDMSound's engine being used for DOSBox, still, yes, I do, but it doesn't seem to be happening. Qbix, Harekiet?

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 50 of 58, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gitoshi wrote:

Another game that work fine with adlib emulation 2.0.4 was Koei Uncharted Waters 2, with the update 1 some percussion instrument sound like major hiss. Just check the intro.

Did you try installing the updated OPL dll that vlad posted somewhere on the forum? (*gack* sorry I don't have the link) It fixes a bug in the 2.0.4+update1 OPL emulation.

Reply 55 of 58, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by HunterZ Let's just declare Vlad dead and make a shrine page with all his stuff on it. Anarchy rules.

Talk about your back-handed compliments... *heh*

I actually came up with an "All-in-one" ZIP with instructions, but I can't upload it to the board as it can't accept the upload before timing out on me.