VOGONS

LBA 1/Relentless error

Topic actions

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

I'm trying to get Little Big Adventure to run with vdms on winxp. The opening Adeline logo fades in, and the midi seems to play fine (the little adeline theme music). This logo fades to black, and then it won't move on to the next screen. I get booted into my dos window with a message that says, "No CD."

I have absolutely no idea what's going on.

Thanks alot in advance
Jordan.

Reply 3 of 20, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Unregistered wrote:

yes

...and have you enabled "low-level CD-ROM support" in LaunchPad or, if nopt using LaunchPad, in AUTOEXEC.VDMS?

Do you have more than one CD-ROM/CD-RW/DVD drive?

V.

Reply 5 of 20, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ensure that the program isn't locking your CD drive. (You can tell if it is if you take the CD out, then try to view the drive with explorer. If it's locked up, the file list will still show up even without the CD in the drive.) This happened to me with Return to Zork, although only on my DVD drive.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 8 of 20, by Unregistered

User metadata

I just tried copying the files but it didn't help.

the whole thing is really odd- I don't even see the dvd or cd-rw LED blinking when I try and run the game. I mean, the drives don't initialize at all- it isn't like the game looks for a cd and thinks it can't find the right one, it just doesn't seem to communicate with the drives period.

There isn't a way to specify which drive you want to run the game from in the install- the game must automatically go to a drive. Could it be confused about my multiple drives somehow?

Reply 10 of 20, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

Is one of your CD drives labelled D? If you have a second HDD partition "D", copy the files to the root there. (It may just be an annoying hardcoded thing.)

I just tried this under VPC5, and I'm getting the same reponse. Hard drive is C:, CD-ROM is D:

Doesn't look good.

Reply 11 of 20, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Translation by Babelfish from a webpage here:
http://www.greenpepper.de/support/FAQ-LBA.htm

Message " NO CD " F: If I start the play, then the initial picture screen appears short and then the message "NO CD". (s […]
Show full quote

Message " NO CD "

F:
If I start the play, then the initial picture screen appears short and
then the message "NO CD". (system with two CD Rome drive assemblies)

A:
If I read your starting files correctly, have two CD Rome of drive assemblies. If this like that is, you should insert the play CD once into second CD Rome and start the play then.

Or:
They install the play with CD Rome drive assembly, which has the smaller drive assembly letter (disk "A" would be the smallest; "Z" would be the largest). Play the play then also from this CD Rome.
This problem arises sometimes with computers, which installed more than a CD Rome or a CD burner.

Good luck unmangling that!

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 12 of 20, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stiletto wrote:

Good luck unmangling that!

erm....
--------------------------------------------------------------------
"NO CD" Message

Q: When I start the game, the title screen graphic appears for a moment. Then the I get the "NO CD"message .

(My computer has two CD-ROM drives)

A:
If I read your startup files correctly (?), you have two CD-ROM drives.
If so, you should insert the game CD once into second CD-ROM and then start the game.

Or:
Play the game in the CD-ROM drive with the lowest drive letter (as in A is before Z).
This problem arises sometimes with PC's that have more than one CD-Drive.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Ech. Not a whole better, and now my head hurts. Besides, I think he's wrong (My virtual PC had only one CD-ROM).

Reply 13 of 20, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No, no, you've got it ALL wrong! Here, let ME Englishize the translation:

"NO CD" Error Q: When I start the game, the initial startup splash screen appears for a moment and then the message "NO CD" appe […]
Show full quote

"NO CD" Error
Q:
When I start the game, the initial startup splash screen appears for a moment and then the message "NO CD" appears. (I have a system with two CD-ROM drives.)

A:
If I read your question correctly, you have two CD-ROM drives. If this is the case, you should insert the CD into the second CD-ROM drive and run the game from there.
Alternately, you can try installing the game using the CD-ROM drive that has the earliest drive letter (drive "A" would be the earliest; "Z" would be the latest). Then play the game from this drive.

This "NO CD" problem sometimes arises with computers that have more than one CD-ROM drive and/or a CD burner.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 14 of 20, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

No, no, you've got it ALL wrong! Here, let ME Englishize the translation:

Well, Phbbt. Interpretive grammar is always debatable (actually, all grammar is debatable...but that's another story). Yours is mostly more "wordy", with a couple of exceptions:

If I read your question correctly, you have two CD-ROM drives. If this is the case, you should insert the CD into the second CD-ROM drive and run the game from there.

While that makes a lot more sense, it's a heckofa leap from "read your starting files" (literal translation) to be translated to "read your question correctly". So unless Stiletto's messing with us or the author was on meth at the time...

Alternately, you can try installing the game using the CD-ROM drive that has the earliest drive letter

Ok, that sounds more accurate. Unfortunately "Unregistered" has already tried that.

Reply 16 of 20, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Unbelievable! Here's another one:
http://www.yaz0r.net/lba.php

This is one game I never expected someone would do this for. This is just incredible, the lengths fans go to... Cheers!

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 18 of 20, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Amazing isn't it? Now, where's my J-Blood?

PPPPFFFT. The problem is that if you need the original CD to play it I'm SOL and so are almost everyone, since those things are harder to find than the DreamWeb CD.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 19 of 20, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

PPPPFFFT. The problem is that if you need the original CD to play it ...

You mean Relentless/LBA? I've seen it "on and off" in half-price book stores for the past couple of years. Have it myself...saw it a few days ago anyway. hrmm...